3-way GTX 970 or 2-Way 980

And I had said show me the games where you would get this 70 to 80 additional fps from going from 2 way to 3 way. Congratulations on doing that though with a game that could already maintain 144 fps with a single gpu. According to that earlier review though a demanding game like Metro LL where you would actually need more performance, it went down in performance when adding a third card. And all but two games that set up did horrible and even best case was nothing great. And 41% in a benchmark means NOTHING for the games people actually play like I hinted to earlier. So bottom line is that overall, 3 way SLI scales like crap in real games. If I were the OP, I would get 970 two way SLI over 980 two way SLI and certainly over 970 three way SLI.

I already showed you before (look at what I wrote and the ocaholic link) and I already explained you THREE times now about the "70 to 80FPS claim". But you just don't know how to read or you deliberately ignore it, and that's your problem. I stated it several times but you continously ignore it.
I already agreed that Metro Last Light scales awfully compared to Metro 2033 ( just look at old benchmarks even 2 way Sli scaling is worse)
As for you don't give nothing about benchmarks I GET IT - but it's doesn't divert from the fact it is still a representative measurement - also to check that your system is running as it should.
Look at the links I posted and the video from Asus. If a 50 FPS improvement isn't something to consider if you want the very best then I don't know what it is. If you would (can) look longer forward than your nose then you might get to see that 3 way SLi scales better that it has done previously. If you'd care to look through 3 way SLi results from GTX 580 and up you would see an increase, especially in 2560x1440 enviroments. But no you stare blind on one particular review and base your conclusion to that's the general situation. That's why I give damn about reviews only taking few popular games, because I've had 7 years of 3 way SLi experience and 9 years of SLi experience (when not including 3dfx SLi), and I know how the overall picture looks and I know that there are more games then aren't benchmarke but which scale well. In my book anything that scales above 35% minium in 3 way SLi is acceptable, Getting a 20FPS improvement in a game going from 2 to 3 cards is also well worth the deal in my opinion. Others won't probably agree and that fine - but that doesn't mean I'm wrong, and I don't claim they're wrong. It's all about the performance - and how much you are willing to pay for that is up to you
I have several times stated that I agree that 3 way SLi may not be the sensible solution but it's still the best solution if you want maximum performance regardless of scaling and yes even 3x 970 will still beat 2x 980.

Quiting Hardinfo.
"Benchmarking three or four new high-end cards always makes for some pretty special results in synthetic benchmarks like 3DMark. This time it's even more special though. Previous high-end cards could be used in 3-way and 4-way SLI, but that never resulted in a boost in performance. Partly because of the extremely high Ultra HD resolution and Intel's Haswell-E platform that can deliver the data quickly enough, the third and fourth card offer a significant bump in performance this time around. The graph below really says it all:"

Bottom line is that are you willing to pay $$$ extra for XXX more FPS. Scaling or not that's not the point.
If you only want to discuss scaling then 3 way SLi can scale from any where from 20% to 80% depending on the game. And you can always decide in what "light" you want to base your conclusion - only use games that run well on 2 way SLi and claim 3 way SLi is crap, or use games where you know 3 way SLi scales well and claim it's the best. OR you take games from both "camps" and let the reader make up his/her opinion and if their favorite games takes advantage of multiple cards or not. That's why I rarely give a CRAP about the final conclusion in video card reviews because it's so easy to make something look good or bad if you really want it.

But I'm out now. To quote William Blake: "That which can be made explicit to the idiot is not worth my care".

Last edited:
And I had said show me the games where you would get this 70 to 80 additional fps from going from 2 way to 3 way. Congratulations on doing that though with a game that could already maintain 144 fps with a single gpu. According to that earlier review though a demanding game like Metro LL where you would actually need more performance, it went down in performance when adding a third card. And all but two games that set up did horrible and even best case was nothing great. And 41% in a benchmark means NOTHING for the games people actually play like I hinted to earlier. So bottom line is that overall, 3 way SLI scales like crap in real games. If I were the OP, I would get 970 two way SLI over 980 two way SLI and certainly over 970 three way SLI.

Like I said, negative scaling is not an issue. Just turn the third card off for that game (and set it as a PhysX card for an added bonus). 970 3-Way SLI is IMO much better than 980 SLI as I elaborated on earlier. Just 980 SLI doesn't cut it in Crysis 3 @4K. But in most other games, even AAA games, just two over-clocked 970s are perfectly enough to maintain high frame rates with MINIMUMS of 40-60FPS. Hence 970 3-Way is the superior setup IMO, expecially with a lower price point than 980 SLI.

If you are not gaming @4K, then 970 SLI is already perfect ofc.

Also take in mind that those games that aren't scaling at all with the third card don't have profiles for 3-Way SLI. Technically it is possible to force custom profiles, though that can be problematic. As I said though, it shouldn't be necessary since you'll be hitting high frame rates with two cards and PhysX already.

Last edited:
If you're going to be playing Crysis 3 exclusively at 4K, then yeah sure go ahead and get 3x 970. For 90% of the other games 2x 980 will still perform better.

970 as PhysX card? LOL talk about wasting money, not to mention there's literally only 36 games that support PhysX, so saying PhysX as an added bonus is just ridiculous. If you must spend extra for whatever reason, get 2x 980. Otherwise stick with 2x 970 for best price/perf.

If you're going to be playing Crysis 3 exclusively at 4K, then yeah sure go ahead and get 3x 970. For 90% of the other games 2x 980 will still perform better.

970 as PhysX card? LOL talk about wasting money, not to mention there's literally only 36 games that support PhysX, so saying PhysX as an added bonus is just ridiculous. If you must spend extra for whatever reason, get 2x 980. Otherwise stick with 2x 970 for best price/perf.

You misunderstand. I'm saying that instead of disabling the third card for a game that doesn't support 3-Way SLI, you can at least set it as a PhysX to potentially receive some benefit. Just 970 SLI wouldn't be enough for some games @4K. That's why I got 970 3-Way. 970 SLI is not enough power. 980 SLI is also not enough power and costs more anyway.

Another $330 for a build that's around $1900 isn't exactly a waste if it means maxing out more games and having enough power down the line.

Like I said, negative scaling is not an issue. Just turn the third card off for that game (and set it as a PhysX card for an added bonus). 970 3-Way SLI is IMO much better than 980 SLI as I elaborated on earlier. Just 980 SLI doesn't cut it in Crysis 3 @4K. But in most other games, even AAA games, just two over-clocked 970s are perfectly enough to maintain high frame rates with MINIMUMS of 40-60FPS. Hence 970 3-Way is the superior setup IMO, expecially with a lower price point than 980 SLI.

If you are not gaming @4K, then 970 SLI is already perfect ofc.

Also take in mind that those games that aren't scaling at all with the third card don't have profiles for 3-Way SLI. Technically it is possible to force custom profiles, though that can be problematic. As I said though, it shouldn't be necessary since you'll be hitting high frame rates with two cards and PhysX already.

Exactly ! Thumbs up for one WHO gets it.:cool:

Your claim for 90% of the other games ? do you own them all or do you just Refer to popular titles always benchmarked among reviewers ?.
It's not about using the 3rd card as physX at all (why even bring this into the discussion?), but one can if one wishes so in some titles.
People tend to forget just like regular 2 way SLi some games doesn't support that either but still with 2 Cards you are allowed to ad extra eye candy as more Anti Aliasing and more SweetFX settings for FREE without you loose performance. That is the same with 3 way SLi. 2 way SLi may be supported but with a 3rd card you can enable much more FSAA and not Loose as many frames per second as with just 2 cards - people forget this.
The same principles that apply for 3 way SLi also apply for 2 way SLi when a game doesn't support the configuration.
It's not always about the most FPS, but also maxing out eye candy without loosing further performance !.

Exactly ! Thumbs up for one WHO gets it.:cool:

Your claim for 90% of the other games ? do you own them all or do you just Refer to popular titles always benchmarked among reviewers ?.
It's not about using the 3rd card as physX at all (why even bring this into the discussion?), but one can if one wishes so in some titles.
People tend to forget just like regular 2 way SLi some games doesn't support that either but still with 2 Cards you are allowed to ad extra eye candy as more Anti Aliasing and more SweetFX settings for FREE without you loose performance. That is the same with 3 way SLi. 2 way SLi may be supported but with a 3rd card you can enable much more FSAA and not Loose as many frames per second as with just 2 cards - people forget this.
The same principles that apply for 3 way SLi also apply for 2 way SLi when a game doesn't support the configuration.
It's not always about the most FPS, but also maxing out eye candy without loosing further performance !.

Yeah didn't mean to add a point of controversy with PhysX. Just another option instead of disabling the third card completely when it causes negative scaling due to lack of support. Probably wouldn't be useful that often but thought it worth mentioning.

Thanks!

Why does this thing need 3 pages?

tri-sli scaling is shit. Assuming you get past the number of games that have shit compatibility with tri-sli.

oh yeah and 3 cards is going to more than likely occupy all your expansions slots.

The end.

I'd like to know how you managed to setup one of your cards as a dedicated AA card when the game doesn't have multi-GPU support.

I'd like to know how you managed to setup one of your cards as a dedicated AA card when the game doesn't have multi-GPU support.

I think he may be referring to Nvidia Inspector compatibility bits. If I understand correctly, this is where users find out through lots of trial and error how to make customized SLI profiles where they don't already exist or look better than the ones Nvidia came up with (depending on your opinion in some cases). Here's a thread where most of that has been collected:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=392715

tri-sli scaling is shit. Assuming you get past the number of games that have shit compatibility with tri-sli.

oh yeah and 3 cards is going to more than likely occupy all your expansions slots.

The end.

Also - one thing that no one has mentioned: tri-SLI on air must be setup properly if you're going to put a cover on your case. I.E. don't buy 3x GPUs with fans that blow into the case...when you create your SLI sandwich your cards will enjoy superheating themselves up. Get the reference 970 or 980 with the blower fan or liquid cool...or do what other pics show and put a shit load of case fans or keep your case open. :cool:

Oh - and don't forget that you guys are limited to a 4GB framebuffer. Another reason why I'm at 2-way SLI right now. Maybe when the 6GB/8GB/etc. cards roll out I'll upgrade to a 4K screen or something.

I used to run 4xSLI GTX 680 (multiple configurations) and then I ran 3xSLI GTX TITAN. The 3xSLI was definitely the best experience. 4-way is an absolute joke. 3-way was good...but as you can see I'm back to 2-way. Maybe I'll join up my 980s for a laugh...but with X99 I went mATX so I can't do it with my 5930K box.

It's all moot for me, in order to take advantage, I need to run NV Surround (I run 1080p monitors - 3x BenQ 120hz and 1x BenQ 144hz G-SYNC) and I found that experience to be pretty bad, as well.

Also - one thing that no one has mentioned: tri-SLI on air must be setup properly if you're going to put a cover on your case. I.E. don't buy 3x GPUs with fans that blow into the case...when you create your SLI sandwich your cards will enjoy superheating themselves up. Get the reference 970 or 980 with the blower fan or liquid cool...or do what other pics show and put a shit load of case fans or keep your case open. :cool:

Oh - and don't forget that you guys are limited to a 4GB framebuffer. Another reason why I'm at 2-way SLI right now. Maybe when the 6GB/8GB/etc. cards roll out I'll upgrade to a 4K screen or something.

I used to run 4xSLI GTX 680 (multiple configurations) and then I ran 3xSLI GTX TITAN. The 3xSLI was definitely the best experience. 4-way is an absolute joke. 3-way was good...but as you can see I'm back to 2-way. Maybe I'll join up my 980s for a laugh...but with X99 I went mATX so I can't do it with my 5930K box.

It's all moot for me, in order to take advantage, I need to run NV Surround (I run 1080p monitors - 3x BenQ 120hz and 1x BenQ 144hz G-SYNC) and I found that experience to be pretty bad, as well.

Yup I have 3 blower style MSI 970s. The heat isn't that ridiculous. Don't believe I had any throttling in 3DMark. And I squished my setup into a mid tower. It would probably be better in a full tower. You don't really need crazy cooling, though adding some cooling to the first GPU might help keep temperatures lower at full load.

The end.

The whole point of a 3-Way solution is to max out games that can't be maxed out with 2-Way. Again, you can disable the third GPU for games that don't support 3-Way. The way I see it, most games that don't support 3-Way are maxed out anyway @4K.

I haven't update my sig but i have an x99 build running tri sli gtx 980's and it's been mostly pretty kick ass. This isn't my first time with tri sli so i know the ins and outs. Overall it's awesome. If you have the money go for it and enjoy it. Don't let the haters ruin it for you. Most of them are just jelly as fuck heh.

The end.

It went to 3 pages because of a completely ignorant claim like yours.

I haven't update my sig but i have an x99 build running tri sli gtx 980's and it's been mostly pretty kick ass. This isn't my first time with tri sli so i know the ins and outs. Overall it's awesome. If you have the money go for it and enjoy it. Don't let the haters ruin it for you. Most of them are just jelly as fuck heh.

Amen to that.

It went to 3 pages because of a completely ignorant claim like yours.

Amen to that.
Lol you are both delusional if you think I am the least bit jealous. I could own any setup I want but dont care to even fool with 2 way SLI. But at least for nearly all games, 2 way scales fine. 3 way SLI is a joke with even more issues and piss poor overall scaling. But hey live in your fantasyworld where it works great and others are jealous. :rolleyes:

Lol you are both delusional if you think I am the least bit jealous. I could own any setup I want but dont care to even fool with 2 way SLI. But at least for nearly all games, 2 way scales fine. 3 way SLI is a joke with even more issues and piss poor overall scaling. But hey live in your fantasyworld where it works great and others are jealous. :rolleyes:

No you just wish it is like that, so you can drown your own envy. If you haven't tried 3 way SLi you really have no saying in this. 7 years of practical 24/7 365 experience vs a few reviews vs 0 experience - I know what I'd trust...nothing like the test of time. So we will live in our fantasy world and you will in your imaginary world.:rolleyes:

No you just wish it is like that, so you can drown your own envy. If you haven't tried 3 way SLi you really have no saying in this. 7 years of practical 24/7 365 experience vs a few reviews vs 0 experience - I know what I'd trust...nothing like the test of time. So we will live in our fantasy world and you will in your imaginary world.:rolleyes:
Luckily we have reviews from reputable sites that shows just who is full of crap here. Anyone that has done any research at all has more sense than to be jealous no matter what you tell yourself. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Knock yourself out getting the last word in as I dont even care at this point. Once you break out the ridiculous accusations of envy and jealously, it proves you are not worth discussing anything with.

Last edited:
Luckily we have reviews from reputable sites that shows just who is full of crap here. Anyone that has done any research at all has more sense than to be jealous no matter what you tell yourself. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Knock yourself out getting the last word in as I dont even care at this point. Once you break out the ridiculous accusations of envy and jealously, it proves you are not worth discussing anything with.

Reputable sites only have a limited time frame and limited amount of games to test with. If you saw the test with a 1year time frame and 100 games you'd likely see another pictures. Reviews are indicators not factional truth about what you get at all times. You only know this for sure when you yourself get it and use it on daily basis - that is real test - any one knows that. I know other 'reputable' review sites state that 3 way sli has come a long way and scales better than ever.

You behave like you know everything for a fact about 3 way Sli when not even having tried it. I think it's a bold and arrogant statement of you to call it crap. You proved with your ignorance that any attempt for a respectful debate would be futile because you already made up your mind that 3 way sli is crap and all trouble....
Wouldn't it have been wiser to let former and current 3 way sli users share their experiences from something actual and factual tested on daily basis - that possibility for a debate you made sure wouldn't happen by just starting out trashtalking about it.
If you read it or not I don't care... you started pushing buttons - just made it vice versa.

I have Tri-SLI 980's. I haven't done extensive tests disabling cards or whatever, but I feel like it works pretty well.

If you have the money why stop at 3 way SLI? If scaling means nothing to you might as well go big and run 4 cards to make sure you squeeze out that last frame in every game.

And considering my watercooling gear alone cost me over $1200, I assure you I'm not the least bit jelly.

Well... Don't forget OP was if two better cards are a better choice vs. three lesser. There is a lot of gray area since some people don't notice microstutter, ect. This makes it hard to answer this kind of answer for the OP. Also the games you play - when I found the pcper review with BF4 I said hell no and went with a single 980 and OC'd it as best I could. I still think that was the right decision for me since I play at 1200p. Been playing FC4 flawlessly for about a month now :). I still get tempted by 2x SLi, perhaps my next build if I go 144Hz I'll suffer through it.

Anywho I'd do 2x 980s vs 3x 970s for the compatibility and the engines I play on tend to not like trisli. Others may like to tinker with software, want the couple extra frames from trisli.

Last edited:
Well... Don't forget OP was if two better cards are a better choice vs. three lesser. There is a lot of gray area since some people don't notice microstutter, ect. This makes it hard to answer this kind of answer for the OP. Also the games you play - when I found the pcper review with BF4 I said hell no and went with a single 980 and OC'd it as best I could. I still think that was the right decision for me since I play at 1200p. Been playing FC4 flawlessly for about a month now :). I still get tempted by 2x SLi, perhaps my next build if I go 144Hz I'll suffer through it.

Anywho I'd do 2x 980s vs 3x 970s for the compatibility and the engines I play on tend to not like trisli. Others may like to tinker with software, want the couple extra frames from trisli.

ha this thread got derailed so hard I actually forgot what the OP was

For those who don't give a shit about scaling and microstutter etc and just want to max out their hardware/overkill, yeah I suppose I could see some sense in going tri or even quad SLI. But yeah when it comes to 2x stronger cards vs 3x weaker, my personal preference would always be 2x stronger.

ha this thread got derailed so hard I actually forgot what the OP was

For those who don't give a shit about scaling and microstutter etc and just want to max out their hardware/overkill, yeah I suppose I could see some sense in going tri or even quad SLI. But yeah when it comes to 2x stronger cards vs 3x weaker, my personal preference would always be 2x stronger.

Agree.

1x stronger vs. 2x weaker depends on budget, future expansion, case space, pci-slots, vram, etc.

2x stronger vs. 3x weaker or 4x weaker I wouldn't ever bother with or recommend.

3x or 4x in any circumstance I'd never bother with unless it was Titans or whatever the highest end card is, trying to get absolute max fps possible with no regard to cost.

Last scenario: 4x gpu vs. 2x dual-gpu, I'd go 4x gpu if I had the case space and slots to support it. Get higher overclocks and be better able to deal with the thermals.

there is a videoreview on this things done by Linus Sebastian (linustechtips),
2 GTX980 is definitely better than 3 GTX970 since three way does not scale well on pratically every game.

there is a videoreview on this things done by Linus Sebastian (linustechtips),
2 GTX980 is definitely better than 3 GTX970 since three way does not scale well on pratically every game.

On the games where it does not scale well, the games are already running at 50-60FPS+ MIN @4K. It makes a difference on the games where the FPS would be lower with just 980 SLI. Running Crysis 3 at Very High @4K has constant dips to the twenties. If you don't really need that much power, 970 SLI would suffice. But in choosing between 980 SLI and 970 3-Way SLI for a 4K setup, I chose the 970s.

Last edited:
I would opt for the dual 980's too if those were the choices, because a 3 way sli would also require a bigger PSU, and perhaps a different rig. Putting all of that together, and considering the current VRAM issue with 970, I would opt for dual 980's for a 4k.

With the recent disaster with 970, 3 way 970 for 4K is no longer a wise choice.

I would opt for the dual 980's too if those were the choices, because a 3 way sli would also require a bigger PSU, and perhaps a different rig. Putting all of that together, and considering the current VRAM issue with 970, I would opt for dual 980's for a 4k.

You don't need a ridiculously expensive PSU. A high-end 850 Watt PS would suffice, and even overclocking all your components, a 1000 Watt would be more than enough for sure. Yes you need a rig that supports 3-Way SLI. If you are upgrading an existing computer that doesn't support 3-Way due to the motherboard and/or CPU then 3-Way isn't an option. If you are buying a new very high-end gaming computer right now, however, I think it makes a lot of sense to get an X99 with support for Haswell-E and DDR4 RAM. IMO if you are paying so much for a high-end rig, X99 is the way to go. In the latter scenario, 3-Way SLI with the 970s makes a lot of sense and provides more performance on titles where that performance is needed and also still manages to cost $100 less than 980 SLI.

With the recent disaster with 970, 3 way 970 for 4K is no longer a wise choice.

That is not borne out by tests. Read this, which compares 3x 970 with 2x 980.

Key section:

Now to 3x GTX 970 - fired up the same games and Dying Light the "problem child" for the 970 Vram problem we tried first. Set it to 8xAA and we still had massive stutter all over and texture popping like with 2x 970. We downed AA to 4x and now things got weird. Absolutely smooth gameplay eventhough the Vram was hitting 3.8GB !!!. Maybe that extra GPU really made a difference now backing up the Vram ! We didn't see that coming.
The same story we repeated in the other games BF4, BioShock Infinite, COD Ghost/Advanced Warfare etc. Gaming in 4K with 3x 970 was a breeze with max 4xAA.
All in all we were sure we had seen the "3.5GB+ 0.5GB" problem in the games.

Note that I still wouldn't buy either card as more VRAM is required, and 2x 970 exhibited VRAM problems.

Why would a third 970 fix the problem? The datasets in VRAM should be the same as when two cards are running, right? I don't get it.

I am guessing that it boils down to comparing performance for the money.

Basically, he was comparing 3 970s in SLI to 2 980's because they cost about the same, when buying new (the 3 970's is tad bit more expensive).

He seems to have tried settings that the VRAM used was going to choke 970's VRAM, but when comparing the same settings to 980's, he was still stuttering, IE when 3 970's were choking on VRAM, 2 980's were choking on GPU power, when he tried the game at setting that ran smooth with 3 970's, 2 980 weren't able to cope.

Why would a third 970 fix the problem? The datasets in VRAM should be the same as when two cards are running, right? I don't get it.

The post doesn't investigate why using three cards resolves the issue, only reports that it does. Perhaps [H] might take an interest?

To quote again:

Gaming in 4K with 3x 970 was a breeze with max 4xAA.

Interesting find, but it's just one data point. Need more testing to know whether it's just a fluke, that one game, or the 3rd 970 has some unknown magical effect.

Interesting find, but it's just one data point. Need more testing to know whether it's just a fluke, that one game, or the 3rd 970 has some unknown magical effect.

Well Gripen has posted a lot in this thread since he has a 970 3-Way SLI setup.

I can say that Crysis 3 at Very High seems smooth @4K with my 970 3-Way setup. I did note stuttering on Assassin's Creed Unity with maximum settings, but have no way of knowing if 980 SLI would be better. Unity is a terrible example as it is optimized so badly. I stand by my opinion that 970 3-Way is an incredible setup since it gets smoother gameplay in the titles where extra performance is actually needed. In games that are already maxed out, a lack of 3-Way support doesn't matter.

I can say that Crysis 3 at Very High seems smooth @4K with my 970 3-Way setup. I did note stuttering on Assassin's Creed Unity with maximum settings, but have no way of knowing if 980 SLI would be better. Unity is a terrible example as it is optimized so badly.

Have you measured VRAM usages?

I had really good luck with 7950 trifire.

If you're the type of person that likes to push your hardware with higher resolution and ssaa three cards do seem to scale well

Back