3 Polaris GPUs Unveiled

Simply confirms that RX 490 is NOT Polaris,.. Lisa specifically said (paraphrasing) "I'm going to show you the entire line up of POLARIS GPUS"

TL:DW

460 = sub 75W
470 = 75W
480 = < 150W

490 = Not Polaris (Vega)

May have been a typo but on the Ars Technica livestream they said the Rx 480 is 75 watts

Alienware had one in a backpack

EDIT: Looks like it was a typo. They say 150w in the full article

Last edited:
GPUs.PNG

470 on the left, 460 on the right. The 460 looks like it's begging for a low-profile version.

Wait a minute, does rx470 REALLY HAVE A 6-PIN!?

That's actually... Wait, what the hell.

May have been a typo but on the Ars Technica livestream they said the Rx 480 is 75 watts

Alienware had one in a backpack

6-pin on rx470 if rx480 does not even need it? I don't buy it, has to be a typo.

Wonder if those 470s can be unlocked. :)
You think 470 is cut P10? Actually you know what, you are probably correct.

RX 470 should be Stock 290 performance. RX 480 should be 390x performance.

RX 470 has 6 phases... interesting.

Frankly, this whole thing is weird.

It DEFINITELY is breaking in a way that would back up Kyle's article.

Gotta give credit for AMD putting lipstick on a pig however.

Although it has more to do with their shitty marketing department who doesn't know how to manage expectations.

I like how they were shown but we weren't told anything. So, based on past indicators and events, here's my best guess.

RX 460 - GTX 950 performance or slightly better, 50W or slightly more, $99 MSRP.

RX 470 - Performance between a GTX 960/970, like a 380x, about or less than 100w (I didn't do the math, but she confirmed that this was the card with 2.8x efficiency), $149 MSRP

RX 480 - As much as we've seen, leaks have been all over. I now expect/hope for the following.
- 4GB for $199, performance just shy of 390x/980.
- 8GB for $229-$249
-AIB OC versions approaching $300, pushed hard, nearing but not quite touching 980ti/1070 performance.
-I expect 130-140W on base versions, more power options on AIB versions

so would it be safe to say even the 470 would be a huge upgarde from my gtx 670 ftw? :) at what like $150? hah or dont be silly and get the 8gb 480 for solid future proofing lasting likely 2-4 years since I am not a hardcore 4k insane settings gamer! thanks

^ above post happened just before i hit enter

"bottom line you dont need a 800 dollar card to play doom at the max settings" :whistle:

He didn't say max settings. He said high framerates. It wreaked of a shoddy advertisement. Seemed like the guy on the right was reading from a teleprompter.

They're telling us a $200 GPU will be as fast as a GTX 1070/1080? Doubtful, but that is what is needed to run VR and high resolutions with high settings. Though they do mention "console class" performance, so I suppose they mean you can run higher resolutions once you turn down all the graphics settings to low-medium. :p Will be interested in seeing how the R480 actually runs performance wise in benchmarks. R460 looks like GPUs from 2005-2006 with that little cooler leaving most of the PCB exposed.

They're telling us a $200 GPU will be as fast as a GTX 1070/1080? Doubtful, but that is what is needed to run VR and high resolutions with high settings.

It's been repeated quite often that the GTX 970/R9 390 are the minimum for an enjoyable VR experience. RX 480 supposedly meets that performance threshold at a lower price and power target. No one with any credibility has claimed near GTX 1070 performance for the RX 480.

the naming on these cards in my humble opinion is horrible now we have 2 different 460s 470s 480s sure they have a gtx or rx or R or whatever before it but gonna mess up searches :)

RX 480 also has a single 6-pin yes?
Yes, it does. And that's weird.

I mean, of course it can still work as 950/960 relationship, where 950 has 6-pin for "just in case" situation, but nonetheless, that does mean that P10 is relatively power hungry.

Frankly, this whole thing is weird.

It DEFINITELY is breaking in a way that would back up Kyle's article.

Gotta give credit for AMD putting lipstick on a pig however.

Although it has more to do with their shitty marketing department who doesn't know how to manage expectations.

they did what they always said. Mainstream first for the last year. How the hell does that mean they put lipstick on a pig? What about cheap good performing cards means that it's some how a bad thing or their is a conspiracy behind it. We will see. Wait for the reviews.

Yes, it does. And that's weird.

I mean, of course it can still work as 950/960 relationship, where 950 has 6-pin for "just in case" situation, but nonetheless, that does mean that P10 is relatively power hungry.

The 950 wasn't "just in case." It consumed roughly 95W under load (prior to the recent 75W editions). It needed that 6-pin.

My hope is the RX480 is about 20% short of the 1070 at $200. If AMD can manage that, they will hit a home run.

We got nothing out of that little show that Lisa presented. So nothing is breaking in a way for anything. RX 490 never existed, this was just a dream hyped up here to be honest. That's what happens when FUD is spread around the forums.

We need to know the final clocks of this RX 480 and how well it overclocks, power consumption and that suspect reference PCB and how it will constrain the performance. If those 3dmark leaked scores are correct, its a capable card.

Yep I'm hoping that's the level of performance they can achieve with this thing. Anything less than that and I will lose interest and not recommend it to anyone.
The 480 is a total cost play. It costs two hundred bucks.

You get R9-390x/GTX980-class performance for $200, and you "won't recommend it to anyone"?

To be fair, the 390x was really close to a Fury. Actually GTA V had better minimums on my 390x than my Nano.

they did what they always said. Mainstream first for the last year. How the hell does that mean they put lipstick on a pig? What about cheap good performing cards means that it's some how a bad thing or their is a conspiracy behind it. We will see. Wait for the reviews.
I both agree and disagree.

For consumer shopping in <$200 price range, this is fair and square win. Period.

For AMD shareholder, this would be putting lipstick on a pig, if they need full Polaris 10 to get to performance level of 390. Let's take their words with a bit minimalistic view on performance it should mean:
  • RX480 is "VR". VR minimum spec is 290/970.
  • RX470 is 60fps on 1080p. On average framerates, such performance is attributed to 380/960.
  • RX460 is "esport", <75W (and clearly way less than 950 judging by the cooler). This is performance level of 370/950 (950 is faster, but ...)
Consider that 1070 is 3/4 of 313mm2 16nm chip. RX480 is supposed to be full or 9/10 of 232mm2 14nm chip. I.e., similar chip sizes.

I wonder whether 470 is Polaris 10 or 11, though.

Edits: Some clarifications

The 480 is a total cost play. It costs two hundred bucks.

You get R9-390x/GTX980-class performance for $200, and you "won't recommend it to anyone"?

If it is within 20% of the stock 1070 it will have my overwhelming recommendation. Keep in mind I'm recommending this thing to friends who are building new systems and that's the minimum level of performance we expect from AMD at $200-$250.

What has happened to the $300 part that was supposed to launch.

When I heard Lisa Su speak, what I heard was "most PC gamers buy GPUs in the $100-$300 price range, so that is what we're targeting" or something like that. I didn't take it literally as them having a $99 and $299 product to bookend the RX 480. But the RX 480 4GB is $199. Factor in the 8GB cost, then AIB OC models, and you start to get close to $300. That's probably where we're going to be.

My big question is will there be enough stock to buy for retail? Then after reviews of performance are in can anyone make an semi informed choice on buying. If they will play games at what I want for a $200 card great, if it doesnt then cant buy it and will once again focus on 1070 being my card for the next few years. biggest thing is being in stock. At least for me.

If it is within 20% of the stock 1070 it will have my overwhelming recommendation. Keep in mind I'm recommending this thing to friends who are building new systems and that's the minimum level of performance we expect from AMD at $200-$250.
That seems like an odd cut-off point to me.

Anyway, we don't know yet, it might get there overclocked.

I just checked how 950s look like, and compared to RX460, their coolers are just huge.

No, the coolers are just as large as people want them to be. For those who think bigger is better, they have that.

And for those who think smaller is better, they have lots of those. Just take the shrouds off these, and the fan/heatsink will be nearly the same size:

14-125-856-02.jpg

14-487-225-03.jpg

14-127-935-17.jpg

14-500-385-TS

14-121-981-TS

It wasn't available in this short PCB on launch day, but just a few months later these were everywhere.

The same efficiency improvements that allow for bus-powered cards also allow for smaller coolers. They just mean you give up a small bit of potential overclock room in exchange for smaller physical space.

Also, since AMD didn't announce any specs, this indicates to me that Polaris 11 is still FAR FROM RELEASE. If they haven't decided on how many CUs are available, or clock speeds, then the parts are nowhere near ready to ship. This is the same pointless posturing they did back in March, showing off their Polaris 11 versus a GTX 950.

Polaris 10 is the priority, and always has been.

Last edited:
When I heard Lisa Su speak, what I heard was "most PC gamers buy GPUs in the $100-$300 price range, so that is what we're targeting" or something like that. I didn't take it literally as them having a $99 and $299 product to bookend the RX 480. But the RX 480 4GB is $199. Factor in the 8GB cost, then AIB OC models, and you start to get close to $300. That's probably where we're going to be.

I must have heard it wrong. I thought she said products in the $100- $300 range. Thanks for correcting me.

Hmm...so the $300 price point is just MIA now? A $230 AMD beats everything NV has below $370? Something seems off. NV waiting on 480 sell through numbers to see where to release the 1060, maybe?

Back