3 Pin Fan Y Adapters

Good question. I was under the impression you couldn't get a reliable speed measure with two fans both connected - hence the second type (the only kind I could find when I went looking locally).

I was curious because I'm planning on getting or making a couple of Y adapters and attaching an extra wire to the RPM pin at the female header so I can use my motherboard headers. My fan controller is the discontinued old Vantec Nexus 3.5" model that can't do that and I'm too cheap to upgrade yet. Newegg sells a Link Depot model that has both male connectors wired as well. If I end getting one like that I'll try it out and just snip the extra if necessary. I tried looking around for specs and all I found was the wikipedia reference that mentions the RPM being "open collector output". Further searching found "a transistor either presents a current path to ground, or not". So that doesn't sound like it would work with multiple fans unless they were perfectly synced (otherwise the overlap would be additive??), defeating the purpose. :confused:

I would believe you would get erratic RPM speed measurements if both fans were supplying the speed.

Back