3 ide hds, 2 identical what are the options?

Dirty B

Limp Gawd
i have a 40gig IBM drive and 2 identical 160gig seagate drives...

they are all ide but is there anyway to run all 3 drives? i dont know if there is someway to run the 40 alone and the 160s in a raid.

my motherboard is a MSI K8N neo (nforce 3 chipset) thanks..

ur 160s on raid and 40 alone should work, how i dunno, a raid controller ? I've never ran raid before but i think it'll work

yes..a raid controller, or onboard raid..

have both the 160s on the Raid controller while the 40 on the IDE1 port.

phaelinx said:
yes..a raid controller, or onboard raid..

have both the 160s on the Raid controller while the 40 on the IDE1 port.

ok so it will work, i thought you could use 3 but only if one of them was a sata drive. so i put the 40 on the ide port and then the 2 160s in a RAID 1...? I have been reading and i dont like the idea of a 0 array but would a RAID 1 array be the best just for data storage? thanks for the help.

I'm a big fan of Raid-1. It's saved my ass a couple of times. There's basically no penalty at all on reads (and reading is faster if 2 things are reading at once due to 2 drives to read from), and writing is only a little slower.
I just read over the nforce raid docs, though I was thinking in terms of an nforce2 chipset. From what I've gathered nforce3 is no different though.

You can raid PATA and SATA drives on an nforce based mobo w/ raid capability. If they're all PATA I'd put one 160GB on each channel as master, then the 40GB as primary slave and your optical (I assume you've got a CD or DVD drive... unless you're doing the floppy boot network install of Linux routine) as secondary slave. If you have any trouble burning or ripping CDs/DVDs, try using the 40GB as the source drive since it's on a different IDE channel.

edit: I'd also boot from the array. It's just f'n annoying to lose your boot drive.

zandor said:
I'm a big fan of Raid-1. It's saved my ass a couple of times. There's basically no penalty at all on reads (and reading is faster if 2 things are reading at once due to 2 drives to read from), and writing is only a little slower.
I just read over the nforce raid docs, though I was thinking in terms of an nforce2 chipset. From what I've gathered nforce3 is no different though.

You can raid PATA and SATA drives on an nforce based mobo w/ raid capability. If they're all PATA I'd put one 160GB on each channel as master, then the 40GB as primary slave and your optical (I assume you've got a CD or DVD drive... unless you're doing the floppy boot network install of Linux routine) as secondary slave. If you have any trouble burning or ripping CDs/DVDs, try using the 40GB as the source drive since it's on a different IDE channel.

edit: I'd also boot from the array. It's just f'n annoying to lose your boot drive.

thanks for the reply but seriously i got really confused with all that info. what i wanted to do was use the 40 as the boot drive and the 2 160s as just storage drives in a RAID 1. Would this not be a good idea?

Please throw the 40 gig IBM drive away before it dies. Don't put anything valuable on it at the very least.

Back