3 hard drives, how to set jumpers?

HotL3@D

[H]ard|Gawd
3 hard drives, 1 SATA to be my main boot drive and 2 others running off the same IDE Cable to my motherboard for storage. How do i set the jumpers on the HDD So that it boots correctly and sees the SATA drive as the main drive. I know the SATA drive should be set to master, right? or do these drives even have jumpers? (i'm new to SATA) What do i set the IDE cable drives? One to master, the other to slave, or both to slave? Just need some quick help, thanks!

Your sata will autoconfigure with the floppy that came with it.

Set the IDE's to master and slave.

Set the BIOS to boot first to cdrom/sata/IDE

SATA drives do not have a master/slave jumper, since SATA works with only 1 device per channel..

With the IDE drives, just set them up in a master/slave combination as you normally do for IDE.

In your bios, set your bios to boot first from the SATA drive. When you go to install windows, you may or may not need a SATA driver disk, depending on if the SATA controller being used is native to the chipset or not.. Pretty much this would apply to Intel boards using the 865 and up chipsets, NF3's, and Via K8T800's..

When you go to install windows, it will give you an option of which drive to use.. just select the SATA one..

To be honest, what I would also do, is leave the IDE drives unconnected at first. Just install windows with the SATA drive connected.. This will guarantee that windows will see this as the C drive, and will give the right drive letter during installation.. then you can just hook up the IDE's after you install, and windows will add them accordingly. .

Barnaby said:
SATA drives do not have a master/slave jumper, since SATA works with only 1 device per channel..

With the IDE drives, just set them up in a master/slave combination as you normally do for IDE.

In your bios, set your bios to boot first from the SATA drive. When you go to install windows, you may or may not need a SATA driver disk, depending on if the SATA controller being used is native to the chipset or not.. Pretty much this would apply to Intel boards using the 865 and up chipsets, NF3's, and Via K8T800's..

When you go to install windows, it will give you an option of which drive to use.. just select the SATA one..

To be honest, what I would also do, is leave the IDE drives unconnected at first. Just install windows with the SATA drive connected.. This will guarantee that windows will see this as the C drive, and will give the right drive letter during installation.. then you can just hook up the IDE's after you install, and windows will add them accordingly. .

That's what I said! :D

Back