3 Hard Drive Setup/Windows 7 64-bit

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by RayFinkle, Sep 28, 2010.

1. RayFinkle

RayFinkle n00b

Alright, so I got a new rig a few weeks ago and I wanted to do everything right. I think I failed. It's running a intel 930 at 3.9, has three hard drives and a gtx 480. The three hard drives are an intel 80 gb SSD, a 500 gb and a 1tb HHD.

My basic question is, how would be the best way to manage this. I figure I should have windows on the SSD (which it already is), everything else on another HD and use the third as a backup drive. The only problem is, I just tried to copy a bunch of stuff from the C (SSD) drive, where it automatically installed and now I have programs (games, office, etc.) on various drives and I'm not sure what I can uninstall and move without messing with windows.

I have been told I can set the default install drive. What would be my best course of action to utilize the 3 drives optimally?

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

edit: Sorry if this is in the wrong place, wasn't sure how to describe the issue.

2. gimp

gimp [H]ardForum Junkie

the problem with a lot of apps are, is the fact that they almost always install thigns into the C:\Program Files folder.

you can use symlinks so that to Windows, C:\Program Files is on the C: drive, but the symlink is actually pointing it to Program Files folder on your D: drive.

there's some threads around here talking about how to use symlinks and the like.

3. devil22

devil22 2[H]4U

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_symbolic_link

First copy your "c:\program files" and "c:\program files (x86)" directories to the D: drive (or where-ever you want things installed).
    Then, from an elevated cmd.exe prompt, at the "c:\>" directory/prompt:
    Code:
    ren "program files (x86)" "program files (x86).back"
    ren "program files" "program files.back"
    mklink /d "program files (x86)" "d:\program files (x86)"
    mklink /d "program files" "d:\program files"

In *theory* that should work, in practice it may not be that easy because currently running programs may prevent you from renaming/deleting the program files directories, in that case you could try in safe mode w/ shutting done everything in task manager that is not a needed Windows service/component, possibly even explorer.exe (after you open the cmd.exe prompt), just type 'explorer.exe' to start explorer again.

After everything is setup you can delete the *.back directories on c:\.