3 ghz 630 to 4 ghz P4 EE in a Dell !!!

I just tried it with my e510 that has a 945g chipset and a pd820 and it does not post with this mod. I tried to bump the vcore to 1.43 but still no post. any ideas

oc4life said:
I just tried it with my e510 that has a 945g chipset and a pd820 and it does not post with this mod. I tried to bump the vcore to 1.43 but still no post. any ideas

The PentiumD 8xx series of chips are much harder to overclock to 266 FSB. About the best I've ever done with one of these chips would be to overclock it to 266 FSB and then it would lock up about half way during PCMark05. I don't even waiste my time anymore trying to get them to run at 266 FSB.

If you're 805 could run 4.0GHZ then a similar mod would work. However, the modifications you have to do to the BSEL pins is different. Please refer back to the picture I previously posted and do the following.

1) Insulate the Red pin (BSEL1)
2) Connect the Yellow pin (BSEL2) and Blue pin (BSEL0) together

This same mod would also work with 533 MHz FSB Celerons (LGA775) as well as LGA775 P4's that run on 533 MHZ FSB (in both case the CPU's will obviously need to be capable of running at 200 FSB or 1.5x their stock speed).

Seems this 4GHz mod on the 630 is hit or miss. I tried another 1.388v chip, this one a batch 3601A084 Costa Rica. Best it would do is 7 mins into Memtest and thats with 1.4625v core. So I'm 1 for 3.

Also, the Dell mobo's I'm using are (as reported by CPUz):
0KF623 - success
0HJ054 - success
0WG261 -unknown (this one seems not to throttle up the fan as CPU heats up)

Any way to mod for more voltage, or is that too risky?

Borkus said:
Seems this 4GHz mod on the 630 is hit or miss. I tried another 1.388v chip, this one a batch 3601A084 Costa Rica. Best it would do is 7 mins into Memtest and thats with 1.4625v core. So I'm 1 for 3.

Also, the Dell mobo's I'm using are (as reported by CPUz):
0KF623 - success
0HJ054 - success
0WG261 -unknown

Any way to mod for more voltage, or is that too risky?

It is somewhat hit or miss. I wouldn't recommend going past 1.4625v but it you want to try 1.5v here is what you do. It is a bit more involved

1) Remove any previous connections.

2) Insulate all three of the Blue pins. Take a piece of tape and a razor and carefully cut off a small piece that is big enough to cover all three pins but make sure it doesn't cover any of the adjacent pins. Once you have it cut down to size you can stick the end of the piece of tape on a stick pin or needle and carefully position the tape so that it covers the correct pins.

3) The purple pin needs to be connected to the uncolored pin located directly to the right (fourth row, fifth pin ). For another point of reference, the pin you need to connect it to is located directly below the middle blue pin.

4) The second green pin (second row, third pin) needs to insulated. Follow procedure from step# 2 above.

5) The first green pin (second row, second pin) needs to be connected to the uncolored pin located directly to the left (this would be the second row, first pin)

Good luck!

I didn't try the 1.5v mod. I have been focused on the fact that neither of these 2 E510s will vary the fan speed. The successful mod which had the 0HJ054 mobo (I sold & can no longer test) would increase the fan under load; you could hear it throttle back and quiet down right after exiting Prime95.
There's a SpeedStep ON/OFF setting in BIOS, however it appears to have no effect; CPU idles at 14x and goes to 15x under load regardless. And I cannot get the fan to increase even with 2 instances of Prime95. Stays dead quiet. Even with an unmodded CPU. (well actually if unplug the fan power plug for a few minutes, let the CPU get real toasty, when I plug it back the fanspeed starts hi and slowly throttles down.) I can't find a motherboard sensor app that'll work so I'm in the dark as to actual temps and rpms. I can only conclude that either I've got bad mobo's or the OHJ054 mobo is somehow better (different sensor or a lower sensor setting).

Does anyone else actually own one of these E510 / 5150s or am I the only one playing?

Borkus said:
I didn't try the 1.5v mod. I have been focused on the fact that neither of these 2 E510s will vary the fan speed. The successful mod which had the 0HJ054 mobo (I sold & can no longer test) would increase the fan under load; you could hear it throttle back and quiet down right after exiting Prime95.
There's a SpeedStep ON/OFF setting in BIOS, however it appears to have no effect; CPU idles at 14x and goes to 15x under load regardless. And I cannot get the fan to increase even with 2 instances of Prime95. Stays dead quiet. Even with an unmodded CPU. (well actually if unplug the fan power plug for a few minutes, let the CPU get real toasty, when I plug it back the fanspeed starts hi and slowly throttles down.) I can't find a motherboard sensor app that'll work so I'm in the dark as to actual temps and rpms. I can only conclude that either I've got bad mobo's or the OHJ054 mobo is somehow better (different sensor or a lower sensor setting).

Does anyone else actually own one of these E510 / 5150s or am I the only one playing?

I think the difference between the fan noise has to do with the brand of fan that is in the system. In my experience with Dim 9100's and XPS 400's about half the time I get Delta and Nidec the other half. The Delta's seem to be the ones that speed up and down while the Nidec's are usually at the same noise level. It may not be that the fan doesn't speed up buy maybe the it does speed up but is just much quieter.

I've been looking at laptops for college, what should I get from dell that would offer the best overclock? I really started salivating with all the talk of these huge and easy overclocks!

Decker87 said:
I've been looking at laptops for college, what should I get from dell that would offer the best overclock? I really started salivating with all the talk of these huge and easy overclocks!

I'm out of the loop with the laptops as of recent. I know that about a year ago you could take 400 MHz FSB PentiumD Dothan and overclock it to 533 MHz FSB (ie. 1.6GHZ @ 2.13GHz ) in a system like the Inspiron 6000. I don't believe the newer laptops give you the ability because the new Yonah's have 667 Mhz FSB but I don't believe the motherboard supports an FSB higher than this (not positive though).

Would this work on a dualcore 8400? The reason I'm asking is I want to try this, but CPU-Z says the chipset is 925X instead of XE, the model number is 0J3492 if that helps at all. Does that mean anything at all?

TranquilRed said:
Would this work on a dualcore 8400? The reason I'm asking is I want to try this, but CPU-Z says the chipset is 925X instead of XE, the model number is 0J3492 if that helps at all. Does that mean anything at all?

That motherboard was the original version that came with Dell 8400 and will not support 1066 FSB (it's 925X...not 925XE). Sorry but the compatible part# with 925XE chipset is U7077.

jmsandrsn said:
That motherboard was the original version that came with Dell 8400 and will not support 1066 FSB (it's 925X...not 925XE). Sorry but the compatible part# with 925XE chipset is U7077.

Damn it :( , thanks for your reply though.

Hey jmsandrsn, how would I insulate the Red pin (BSEL1)? Also could I use that copper stuff from a Defogger repair kit to connect the BSEL2 and Blue pin BSEL0 together? When applying this stuff, do you cover up the tiny holes that are found on the cpu or must I mess with the socket pins? Can you give me some exact instructions? I am trying to overclock my Pentium D 805 to 4ghz and I know that it can handle it. I tested it on an asus motherboard and had it overclocked from 2.66ghz to 4.2ghz on air, I used a scythe ninja with some arctic silver 5. Its for a Dell Dimension 9100 that was purchased last year from Dell, the chipset is a 945, so it should be able to handle 4ghz with ease. Please help me out!

I just ordered Dimension 5150. It has pentium d 805 with intel 945 mobo. trying to overclock to 4G by mod pins. is it possible that i can still use original heat sink? anyone did this?

Theoretically, your PD 820 could run at 3.73GHz ( 14 x 266 ~ 3733) if you did the mod.

In practice though, I have never been able to get a PentiumD to work with the mod in one of these systems due to the extra amount of heat that a dual core chip puts out. You may be able to get the system to boot with the mod but I doubt that you'll have very good stability.

jmsandrsn said:
Theoretically, your PD 820 could run at 3.73GHz ( 14 x 266 ~ 3733) if you did the mod.

In practice though, I have never been able to get a PentiumD to work with the mod in one of these systems due to the extra amount of heat that a dual core chip puts out. You may be able to get the system to boot with the mod but I doubt that you'll have very good stability.

If the heat is the issue, i can put a good heatsink like Zalman 9500. I think Dimension 5150 has enough case room. Dimenison 5150 has Pentium D 805, which is slight cooler than PD 820 (95w vs 130w?). I can't wait...i will do it soon

For safety reason, i just want to overclock the cpu PD 805 from 2.66 to 3.33 first. It should not need to change dell stock fan. what i just need is to bump the fsb from 133 to 166mhz (166x20=3.33ghz). To do that, i just need to isolate the bsel 1. I don't think i need to increase cpu voltage this time. Correct me if i am wrong...

Oops. It's not working.
i took out Pentium D 805 from mobo. I checked and found Bsel 1 was L. Since my first target is to overcloce PD 805 from 2.66 to 3.33, i have to bump up fsb from 133 to 166. i had to make the pin H. I used a small piece of tape to cover the Bsel 1 (H30). When i put the cpu back to the case, the computer didn't boot. my computer was ok when i moved the small cover the pin. What's going on?

jmsandrsn: Did I get wrong cpu pin? or something else? Dell bios doesn't allow me to chang anything.

I've never heard of anyone trying a pin mod for 166 FSB. I doubt that the motherboard will recognize this since it is not an "official" FSB. Just go ahead and try the mod for 200 FSB. I forget exactly which pin you need to work with but I believe it is connecting one BSEL and insulating another one. If you look back over the last several pages of this thread then I'm pretty sure that I previously provided clear instructions on how to go from 133 to 200 FSB.

You may also need to boost the voltage. I have also given some instructions for doing this. If you need more help upping the voltage then you need to post the default voltage from you processor. I have previously given a link to a program that will tell you the default.

sowingseason said:
thats good oc man i got 3.4ghz from 2.66ghz on a dell, without a pin mod lol
So what method did you use? coz dell wont' give you the chance to do anything in bios

jmsandrsn said:
I've never heard of anyone trying a pin mod for 166 FSB. I doubt that the motherboard will recognize this since it is not an "official" FSB. Just go ahead and try the mod for 200 FSB. I forget exactly which pin you need to work with but I believe it is connecting one BSEL and insulating another one. If you look back over the last several pages of this thread then I'm pretty sure that I previously provided clear instructions on how to go from 133 to 200 FSB.

You may also need to boost the voltage. I have also given some instructions for doing this. If you need more help upping the voltage then you need to post the default voltage from you processor. I have previously given a link to a program that will tell you the default.

I think FSB 166 should work. if the mobo works with 133MHz, and works with 200Mhz, it should work with 166 too. See the chart below. But why did my try fail? Could it be memory? i have 533MHz DDR2 512Mb right now. It's dell mobo, so it might have fixed fsb:memory divider, but i can't change this.

:(

i am overclocking my PD 805 using pin mod. because i have dell dimension which is not allowed to change fsb in bios. It seems only way to overclock for dell is to do pin mod. i did the following way trying raise cpu from 2.66 to 3.33ghz.

i covered bsel 1 (pin h30) with tape and made it high per intel d805 mannual (it's current L at 133 fsb, which is connected to Vss). but the computer didnot boot. should i change the memory using ddr2 667MHz? my current memory is 512mb ddr2 533 MHz. Without oc FSB:memory = 133:266=1:2. if i insulated bsel 1, it will increase from stock fsb 133 to fsb 166MHz. the dell intell 945 mobo should recognize 133,166,200 or even 266 fsb.Does Dell Dimension has a fixed fsb:memory ratio? if the memory ration is the problem that the pc cannot boot? anyone know?

There never was a P4 with 166 FSB so I don't think Dell would program the BIOS to recognize that BSEL pin combination.

You're best bet is to go to 200 FSB and see how it does or if you have no luck then try it with a P4 630 and try it.

jmsandrsn said:
There never was a P4 with 166 FSB so I don't think Dell would program the BIOS to recognize that BSEL pin combination.

You're best bet is to go to 200 FSB and see how it does or if you have no luck then try it with a P4 630 and try it.

Thanks for help, don't you think the memory frequency is the issue? i currently have stock 533MHz DDR2

maybe it's the batch of processors dell gets that are incredibly good overclockers but yet they get sold to teh n00bz!!!!!! :O lol. i took mine out of a dell and got 3.6 on diff mobo

I would be very surprised if Toms didn't need a bump in VCore to get to 4Ghz. ~3.4Ghz (prime stable) with default VCore is a good goal to shoot for. 3.5Ghz-3.6Ghz might be attainable without a VCore bump but it probably won't be prime stable.

kirbyrj said:
I would be very surprised if Toms didn't need a bump in VCore to get to 4Ghz. ~3.4Ghz (prime stable) with default VCore is a good goal to shoot for. 3.5Ghz-3.6Ghz might be attainable without a VCore bump but it probably won't be prime stable.

Yes, Tom Did increase the voltage to 1.475?...I will do it too. I will do the pin mod to increase Vcore coz i have dell mobo

strongman88 said:
Yes, Tom Did increase the voltage to 1.475?...I will do it too. I will do the pin mod to increase Vcore coz i have dell mobo

Ok...I'd just be careful of expecting too much out of it. 4.0Ghz isn't necessarily out of reach, but I think Toms also had WC IIRC (could be wrong on that one ;) )...but I'm pretty sure it wasn't with the stock cooler. Stock only got them to 3.6Ghz or so (once again IIRC).

Also, their chip would do 3.6Ghz stable on stock volts. I know from experience that mine wouldn't do that. Mine only got to 3.4 stable.

Edit: Toms used some sort of Zalman HSF on theirs.

what motherboard did they use? I used a really crappy mobo and i didn't know much about computers then...i bought this shitty ass ECS board on ebay because it was bloddy cheap. like $20USD shipped lol.

edit: i also used a THERMALTAKE HSF which was a bad idea, it was one of those with a copper plate and the rest aluminum which was crappy too. i have no idea how i got to 3.6ghz with such crappy hardware...

kirbyrj said:
Ok...I'd just be careful of expecting too much out of it. 4.0Ghz isn't necessarily out of reach, but I think Toms also had WC IIRC (could be wrong on that one ;) )...but I'm pretty sure it wasn't with the stock cooler. Stock only got them to 3.6Ghz or so (once again IIRC).

Also, their chip would do 3.6Ghz stable on stock volts. I know from experience that mine wouldn't do that. Mine only got to 3.4 stable.

Edit: Toms used some sort of Zalman HSF on theirs.

You are right. Tom got Zalman 9500 to hit 3.9g then went to water cooling.
But i knew someone used another kind air cooler (heating pipe kind) to run 4.0g smoothly. That's for retail PD 805

sowingseason said:
what motherboard did they use? I used a really crappy mobo and i didn't know much about computers then...i bought this shitty ass ECS board on ebay because it was bloddy cheap. like $20USD shipped lol.

edit: i also used a THERMALTAKE HSF which was a bad idea, it was one of those with a copper plate and the rest aluminum which was crappy too. i have no idea how i got to 3.6ghz with such crappy hardware...

why don't you go for the same mobo used by toms, and get one cool fan like zalman. i have dell's mobo and i am trying to figure out if it's worse than yours :D

After i bumped up fsb to 200, and increase Vcore, my dell booted but failed to load os. i basically did bsel pin mod and VID pin mod. the volage was increase to 1.450. i think the voltage was still too low to load OS and programs. Also, based on current psu, which is only 305 w, even i increased vcore to 1.5v, the cpu still can't run stable at 4.0ghz without huge hsf. any thoughts?

Finally figured out the mod using Presler and CedarMill processors. You have to insulate BSEL1 with tape and then make trace from BSEL2 to BSEL1 (the trace will be on top of tape).

Back