3 ghz 630 to 4 ghz P4 EE in a Dell !!!

Could you use a pencil to connect the BSEL 1 to 2 (H30 to G30), these are the two pints to connect to get 4Ghz right? How much better does the chip bench in Sandra?

I guess my question is. does this apply to Non-OEM motherboards that have already adjustable FSB's. I wonder what it does to your memory timing?

im thinking this will work with any 925XE or above chipset. you need one that supports the 1066fsb for it to work.

NauticaONE said:
I guess my question is. does this apply to Non-OEM motherboards that have already adjustable FSB's. I wonder what it does to your memory timing?

I see no reason why it would not work on other boards as long as it is 925XE (not 925X) or one of the newer boards (945P, 945G & 955X). As for memory, you would just be at a 1:1 ratio if you're using PC2-4200 (DDR2 533) at 1066 FSB. If using PC2-3200 (DDR2 400)then I would guess that it would apply a divider (3:4 probably) but I'm not sure about that. You can also use DDR2 667 if you're running on 1066 FSB and the memory will be clocked asynchronously.

So what im guessing the advantages of doing this modification for anyone with a NON-OEM Motherboard is that you dont have to adjust the memory timings to overclock. Otherwise I would say why not just go into manual overclock mode (on asus motherboards) and turn the FSB up to 264mhz and you will have the same effect???

i wouldnt go through the trouble myself, except for the laptop mod, ill probably be buying the barebone geforce 6600 asus laptop and buying a 1.6 400mhz dothan and doing the pin mod, reason for this is there is no such thing as a overclocking laptop, but you can build a overclocking desktop quite easily and not have to go through soldering trouble and only spend a bit more if anything, so.. why buy a dell and go through such great lengths to oc it :confused:

great lenths??? It seemed fairly easy really, im looking to see if there is anythign I can do to my new lappy (d810) with a 2.0Ghz cent. But im lost in the intel world so this is proveing [H]ard

ok CPUz says my lappy is

Dorthan, 1999Mhz (2.0Ghz) 133Mhz FSB, 533Mhz Bus speed, 1.35v, 2mb cache, i915 chip anythign I can do with that?

I(illa Bee said:
ok CPUz says my lappy is

Dorthan, 1999Mhz (2.0Ghz) 133Mhz FSB, 533Mhz Bus speed, 1.35v, 2mb cache, i915 chip anythign I can do with that?

I'm afraid you're already done. Nothing more you can do with that CPU.

You could consider buying a 1.6GHZ or 1.7GHZ Dothan CPU that runs on a 100 MHZ FSB. Best place to get one would be a used one on eBay.You could then potentially run it at 2.13 or 2.26 GHZ. I would say 2.13 would be very likely and above average chance for 2.26GHZ If it works out ok then you could turn around around sell your current CPU and maybe even make several hundered dollars on the price difference.

Here is a much more extensive thread talking about the laptop mod. Toward the end you'll see a lot of people talking about their results: http://www.notebookforums.com/showthread.php?t=76096

I(illa Bee said:
great lenths??? It seemed fairly easy really, im looking to see if there is anythign I can do to my new lappy (d810) with a 2.0Ghz cent. But im lost in the intel world so this is proveing [H]ard
soldering a cpu compared to pressing a button for fsb... i would call that great lengths

Nice, congrats man, and for those struggling at the 4 ghz speed, I think the 520 should also work and would end up running at 3.73 ghz :)

I(illa Bee said:
soldering is cake dude...
i wouldnt be able to bring myself to solder a cpu, there too fragile in my eyes, volt mods, alright but soldering the cpu itself...sounds a little extreme to me

i have never personaly looked at a lga cpu.. i guess the gold contacts are huge then?

ryuji said:
i wouldnt be able to bring myself to solder a cpu, there too fragile in my eyes, volt mods, alright but soldering the cpu itself...sounds a little extreme to me

i have never personaly looked at a lga cpu.. i guess the gold contacts are huge then?

no the contacts are pretty damm small, it jsut takes a steady hand, and good Iron, and the right iron tip.

jmsandrsn said:
I was able to find another P4 630 CPU and this one seems to be doing better (believe this one is a week 11 2005 from Costa Rica. I've been running Prime95 for about 45 minutes and no problems so far. See the screenshot below.

run two instances of prime 95. with only one instance you are only getting 50% cpu usage

Cool J said:
run two instances of prime 95. with only one instance you are only getting 50% cpu usage

This may be a naive question but how do I run two instances of Prime95. I looked through all of the menu choices and didn't see anything. I also tried launching a new program but it simply brough up the instance that's already running.

I did run it for about 2 1/2 days looping 3DMark2001SE with Prime95 in the background. No errors from Prime95 or crashes/lockups from 3DMark.

what i did is just made a copy of the prime 95 folder and named it prime 95 copy and opened that one up too.

Cool J said:
what i did is just made a copy of the prime 95 folder and named it prime 95 copy and opened that one up too.

Thanks. I just tried this in another system and it works great. This other system is a Dimension 3000 (Intel 865 chipset) and I've got a Celeron 2.4 / 533 FSB @ 3.6 / 800 FSB. This mod was a bit harder than the mod that people in this thread are doing since it's socket 478. I had to wire pins together and isolate several pins. I will also need to upgrade the heatsink on this system to the copper version and upgrade to the beefier fan that dell offers on the Dim3000 with P4 2.8 & 3.0 processors.

Damn that's impressive, good job man :cool:. Did you try doing a run of super pi or something to get some hard data on speed improvement?

what did you use to isolate the pins, i was thinking about trying the same thing w/ a socket 478 system and a 533 fsb processor like the celerons or the p4A

Mr. K6 said:
Damn that's impressive, good job man :cool:. Did you try doing a run of super pi or something to get some hard data on speed improvement?

I'm afraid I did not run any benchmarks before or after.

Socrilles17 said:
what did you use to isolate the pins, i was thinking about trying the same thing w/ a socket 478 system and a 533 fsb processor like the celerons or the p4A

It is a little bit complex. I'll try and explain it the best that I can. To go from 533 to 800 you have to reverse the connections of BSEL1 and BSEL0. For 533 FSB BSEL1 is Low (needs to send a signal to the CPU socket) and BSEL0 is High meaning it does not need to make contact with the CPU socket (or actually if you're not doing the mod it will make contact with CPU socket but it's not carrying any signal so it is considered high).

For 800 FSB BSEL1 needs to be High and BSEL0 needs to be Low. So....BSEL0 is actually High (not carrying a signal) so I made it Low by taking a small wire and wrapping it together with BSEL1 (which is carrying a signal). At this point both pins are Low which is not what you want. Therefore, we need to isolate BSEL1 to make it High. I took an ATA66/100 cable (ATA33 is too big) and cut it up. I peeled off one of the strands and removed the wire from the strand. I then cut it down to size and used this as an insulator sleeve and put it over BSEL1. This is sleeve prevents the CPU socket from receiving a signal from BSEL1 and essentially makes it High.

You might be thinking...how will I fit the CPU it into socket with the sleeve over it. To account for this I had to remove the plastic socket cover (you'll need some very small screw drivers and some patience to get the cover off) and then I found the corresponding hole and made it a little bit bigger by using a very very very small screw driver. Before you put the socket cover back on to the socket you can see if the hole is large enough by seeing if the CPU (with sleeve over BSEL1) will fit comfortably in. If it does, then put the socket cover back on and carefully put the CPU into the socket. Don't be too forceful when putting it in or you might bend or break the pin.

To hanlde the voltage increase it was a similar task of wiring pins together and insulating some of them. I actually wired all five VID pins together and then insulated the corresponding pins to get to 1.6v. I then also had to make a couple of socket cover holes a bit larger to accomodate the extra insulators over the VID pins. Also, before trying to change the default voltage you will need to know what the actual default voltage is to start with (if you don't have an overclocking motherboard then you may be out of look on finding this).

Also, I would say that the only Prescott P4 that would have a good chance of doing this would be the P4 2.4A since you end up at 3.6 GHZ. Anything beyond that and it's not going to be very likely (ie. P4 2.8A at 200 FSB equals 4.2 Ghz...not very likely)

nice mod, I don't know if I have the guts to take the socket off and don't have a system around, maybe I'll just stick with the 1066 fsb mod. But thx for the info :)

jmsandrsn said:
Also, I would say that the only Prescott P4 that would have a good chance of doing this would be the P4 2.4A since you end up at 3.6 GHZ. Anything beyond that and it's not going to be very likely (ie. P4 2.8A at 200 FSB equals 4.2 Ghz...not very likely)

Or the Celeron-D 320. I ended up just taking the pin off of mine, worked great.
:)

Will this work with the i925x chip and a Pentium 4 530 Prescott? I have a Dell 8400 and have the i925x chip. Some of you have the i925XE chip on the Dell 8400. I thought the Dell 8400 was a motherboard and used the same chips...?...

Early versons of the the Dell 8400 used the 925X. Later versions used the 925XE. I've never tried the mod with the 925X but I'm almost certain that it will not work.

Also, software utilities are not very good at distinguishing between the 2 chipsets. When did you purchase the system or perhaps you could look at the black production label on side of system and look for manufacture date? Or, you could also download cpuz http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpu-z-131.zip ) and go to the motherboard tab. If your motherboard is part# U7077 then you are all set and actually have 925XE. If that's not the part#, then you probably have 925X.

Let us know how it turns out.

I cant see any "part#" but i bought my computer a couple of days before chrismas in 2004 so.... But do i risk hurting my system trying this at my computer? (sorry my english, im norwegian ;)

It should be under the "mainboard" tab and it should be in the field that says "model".

But none of you have tried withe the 925x or the 530 cpu? Right? So it may be possible!!
What do you say?
(im desperate ;))

Double check me, but I think the Dell white sheets on the 8400 say it supports the EE cpus so the mod should work on the 530 (I don't remember any exceptions being noted), however remember that the 530 has to be capable of 4 ghz for this to work. GL

Socrilles17 said:
Double check me, but I think the Dell white sheets on the 8400 say it supports the EE cpus so the mod should work on the 530 (I don't remember any exceptions being noted), however remember that the 530 has to be capable of 4 ghz for this to work. GL

Nevertheless, some of the earlier Dimension 8400's only had 925X which does not officially support 1066 FSB. Therefore, the motherboard may not know what to do when it sees that comination of BSEL pins plus the clock generator on the motherboard may not even be programmed for 266 FSB.

I'm not saying it won't work but I'm not very optimistic that it will.

Ohh That was not good news :( I was looking forward to do this.. But if I try this and it dont work, is it any thing that can be damaged or can i "remove" the mod so it will work again?

I recommend using conductive silver paint or something similar rather than solder. The conductive silver paint will easily come off with finger nail polish remover. I believe I mentioned this on the second page of this thread.

When I did the mod, I was also able to undo it by removing the solder and do it again, so as long as your careful with the iron I wouldn't worry too much about permanent damage

Zuckron said:
Ok. Thanks for help. So you say that its little chance do damage anything? :)

If it will not work then it should just be a matter of the system not POSTing or you you may get a series of beeps. I would not expect any damage but there are no guarantees of course.

I see. I will try this mod later. I need a 64bit prosessor anyway when Windows Vista have arrived. But do you think my RAM will handle it? (Kingston DDR2 pc2 4200 533mhz)

Zuckron said:
I see. I will try this mod later. I need a 64bit prosessor anyway when Windows Vista have arrived. But do you think my RAM will handle it? (Kingston DDR2 pc2 4200 533mhz)

Your memory will be fine. It will actually still run at the same speed in this case.

Back