3 670's SLI VS 1 690 Experts Opinions please

Gloomfrost

n00b
Considering this little guys are 400 bucks and the 690's can be found for re-resale for around 1200 bucks I would love to see how 3 670 is SLI compare to 1 690.

Is this possible to test? Compare single 2560 x 1600 resolutions with the highest setting and multi monitor support and any stuttering drawbacks from SLI,

Thanks Ryan and Gang!

I would assume since 3x 580's out perform a 690. The Tri 670 setup would easily do the same.

But what about SLI studdering and with a multi monitor setup would it be better to wait for a 2 GB 670?

sorry i meant 4GB versions i see EVGA has at least 2 different 4GB versions of the 670 coming out, I'm sure other vendors will have 4 GB versions as well better to wait for those?

here is a problem, you wont be able to get a 690 for a while if thats what you choose to go with.

but you can get the 670's right now.

thanks guys for the responses, i went with 3 4gig 670's, there went my last year of savings LOL, lets see how long they take to get here. Now i have no idea what system to build, i want to do gaing and fool around with ram disk so i think i want at least 32 gigs and go with ivy maybe a i7 3770K ? any ways any advice would be great!

ah no biggy i m still building the system and Diablo 3 comes out Monday night so ill be busy :)

still have very limited knowledge on what kind of rig im trying to build :(

i've been building system since the early 90's and having trouble stay up with it all

where is what i need and what im thinking keep in mind i want a pure gaming rig that will be relatively future proof and i want to play with Ramdisk but know hardly anything about it from my meager knowledge following these and other sites hers is what i need and what im thinking please correct where you think i need better or less
need;

processor thinking ivy bridge

processor cooler no idea ( I've done liquid in the past would rather not this time unless some closed loop system that wont leak and is reliable as air is available)

Motherboard no idea

Memory at least 32 gigs or 64 is i need that for games like D3 or Skyrim to run in Ramdisk ( i have no idea if it has to be quad channel for ivy bridge HELP!)

power supply thinking Corsair AX1200

hard drive some sort of SSD no raid this time

anything else i miss?

But what about SLI studdering and with a multi monitor setup would it be better to wait for a 2 GB 670?

Both the 690 and 670 in SLI will have similar amounts of microstutter. The 670 will be better thought because microstutter is better the more cards you have and you're comparing 3x670 vs 2x680 (effectively). You'll also be avoiding a pci-e lane splitter (I'm assuming the 690 uses the PLX one) and to be honest I can't remember. If it uses the PLX chip then there will be a higher chance of bugs/latency with it etc etc.

I would 100% go for 3 670's over 1 690, unless you don't have the pci-e lanes on your board.

where is what i need and what im thinking keep in mind i want a pure gaming rig that will be relatively future proof and i want to play with Ramdisk but know hardly anything about it from my meager knowledge following these and other sites hers is what i need and what im thinking please correct where you think i need better or less
need;

processor cooler no idea ( I've done liquid in the past would rather not this time unless some closed loop system that wont leak and is reliable as air is available)

Motherboard no idea

Memory at least 32 gigs or 64 is i need that for games like D3 or Skyrim to run in Ramdisk ( i have no idea if it has to be quad channel for ivy bridge HELP!)

anything else i miss?

If you're going 3 way 670 I'd be tempted to go 3820 + X79 just for the pci-e lanes. If you go 690 then I would go with IB.

IB won't do 64gb, so if you need 64gb, you'll need to go SB-E.

AX1200 will probably be overkill for 3x670, and definitely so for a 690. My tri 480 + 990x all overclocked pulled 1100W from the wall when gaming, i.e. about 1000W from the PSU. That rig is way more power hungry than what you're putting together.

Having said that the AX1200 is a beast and would let you go 4 way 670's down the road if you want. Maybe the biggest question is what display(s) are you running?

need;

Motherboard no idea

anything else i miss?

le sigh.

So stren, i'm thinking of just not doing Ramdisk like i envisioned, just stick to a fast SSD

I'm definitely doing 3 670's so i would for sure want to do X79 for the pci-e lanes? Why the 3820 your favorite processor, best for the price?

Doesn't ivy bridge have the latest and greatest pci-e lanes? im confused.

So would i want say the ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME with 32 or 64 gigs of memory? i guess 64 for playing with RamDisk?

Thanks for the recommendation on the ax1200 it would be good for future expansion.

I'm running on 2560 x 1600 30 inch dell display, but i really want the new 4k when they come out, three screens are nice but i want a huge 4k - 2D screen :)

Last edited:
So stren, i'm thinking of just not doing Ramdisk like i envisioned, just stick to a fast SSD

I'm definitely doing 3 670's so i would for sure want to do X79 for the pci-e lanes? Why the 3820 your favorite processor, best for the price?

Doesn't ivy bridge have the latest and greatest pci-e lanes? im confused.

So would i want say the ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME with 32 or 64 gigs of memory? i guess 64 for playing with RamDisk?

Thanks for the recommendation on the ax1200 it would be good for future expansion.

I'm running on 2560 x 1600 30 inch dell display, but i really want the new 4k when they come out, three screens are nice but i want a huge 4k - 2D screen :)

IB officially supports pcie3.0 while SB-E doesn't. But it does not matter. Take a look at the review done over at TPU, great info. In short, the best you'll see is 1% difference, lame.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Ivy_Bridge_PCI-Express_Scaling/1.html

3820 is great for the money, almost half of the 3930k. Though it'll likely not clock as high and is not unlocked, it's a solid CPU with great potential. I want a 3820 too.

Downside of x79 is that motherboards are more expensive than IB boards, but it's a trade off.

3 way SLI 670 for Diablo 3? Are you playing on NV Surround with 4K monitors or something?

3X slI 670 will outperform a GTX 690 for sure. However if your super sensitive to microstutter then I'd recommend sticking to a 690 as they have less microstutter from what I've read than seperate multi card setups. They should also give you ample performance unless of course your running 3x 2560x1600.

hmm i came in here to say when did the x70 series support more then 2 cards and then googled it.

kind of cool that they enabled it on the x70series.

3X slI 670 will outperform a GTX 690 for sure. However if your super sensitive to microstutter then I'd recommend sticking to a 690 as they have less microstutter from what I've read than seperate multi card setups. They should also give you ample performance unless of course your running 3x 2560x1600.

Actually, 3 GPU's are prone to less micro-stutter than 2 GPU's

Back