3 4K monitors with Dual 290's

TheGameguru

[H]ard|Gawd
This is not for gaming!!!

I have 3 Dell P2815Q's connected to 2 Crossfire 290's... I can't seem to figure out the cabling to get all 3 working at the same time.. the 290's have 1 DP, 1 HDMI which work fine..but the 2 DVI's don't seem to be able to drive a 4K even at 30hz.. I've tried a DVI to HDMI cable and a DVI to DP cable with no luck.. Pretty sure I saw a demo for an AMD 290x setup driving 3 4K's in crossfire so I know in theory this should work.

use dp from gpu to monitor 1, dp from monitor 1 to monitor 2, dp from monitor 2 to dp on monitor 3.

Unless something was changed recently,

AMD does not allow you to use the outputs from various cards. You are only able to use the main card's outputs. In this case, you would not be able to drive 3x4k displays.

DP will drive one, but the HDMI normally has shared connection with one of the DVI ports. Which means if you are using ALL of the bandwidth on the HDMI (probably) there will be no bandwidth left for one of the DVI ports.

I don't think DVI can do 4k at the moment, unless I am mistaken. The only solution would be Nvidia because they allow you to use outputs from multiple cards.

use dp from gpu to monitor 1, dp from monitor 1 to monitor 2, dp from monitor 2 to dp on monitor 3.

This, very clean setup.

You probably have to Enable "Displayport 1.2" on the Dell OSD menus before connecting them.

Unless something was changed recently,

AMD does not allow you to use the outputs from various cards. You are only able to use the main card's outputs. In this case, you would not be able to drive 3x4k displays.

I think you can only use one cards outputs if Crossfire is on. You should be able to turn crossfire off and use each card independently.
At least that's how it used to work (I think, I could be completely wrong though) :)

AMD makes you use 1 card's outputs for Crossfire
Nvidia makes you use multiple card's outputs for SLI

If they're turned off you should be able to extend your desktop to any screen connected to your PC.

4k Probably has restrictions since you either need DP or dual DVIs to drive them.

I believe one DVI port is single link, the other is dual link.
Hope that the Dual Link port is not paired with the HDMI port.

Does DP have the bandwidth to support 4K at 60Hz on more than one display?

Answered a bit too quickly. Seems DP 1.2a MST can handle 1x 4K panel @ 60hz or 2x 4K @ 30hz.

That's probably why the new FirePro 9100W has 4 DisplayPorts native. That's a lot of pixels.

I believe one DVI port is single link, the other is dual link.
Hope that the Dual Link port is not paired with the HDMI port.

Does DP have the bandwidth to support 4K at 60Hz on more than one display?

Answered a bit too quickly. Seems DP 1.2a MST can handle 1x 4K panel @ 60hz or 2x 4K @ 30hz.

That's probably why the new FirePro 9100W has 4 DisplayPorts native. That's a lot of pixels.

looks like it can only do 2 at 30p. so run the third off dvi.

Firepro W9100 will have 6 Displayports, each for 4K. Missed a few words there before.

Back