3.4 ghz goal on q6600

OSEProphecy

Limp Gawd
Like the title says, aiming for a 1 ghz oc on a q6600 :D. I want to do this on air cooling, system is in sig. I'm just having a little trouble cause this is my first OC attempt on a gigabyte board and the settings are a little strange to me.( always used asus before this) I am at 3 ghz right now.

mem is generic 2 gig from xps 720 and 2 gigs corsair value. running at 416mhz. I Have already got 4 gigs of OCZ Reaper HPC (Part# OCZ2RPR10664GK) on the way.

Current Settings :

Robust Graphics Booster ( What is this?) is set to turbo
Clock ratio 9x
CPU Host Freq 333
PCI Express Freq 100
CIA2 Disabled
Preformance enhance Disabled
System memory multiplier 2.5 (memory divider from asus?)

All Dram settings to Auto ( will enter all the correct settings once new ram is recieved)

The only voltage not on auto is CPU VCORE and that is at 1.40000. This was the lowest I could set to get 3ghz to run Prime stable for several hours.
I have not changed any of the other settings because I cannot tell what they are! the only option is normal or the + 0.05V. this is frustrating because I don't know where it is starting :( I have Loadline calibration off.

I want another 400mhz out of this thing but don't want to push much further right now cause the ram is rated at 666mhz and I am already pushing 832 :p (again new ram on the way) so in a day or 2 this won't be an issue. Temps right now are 31c to 34c idle and 51c to 55c at full load under prime95. Are these good tems? My proc is GO stepping and according to intel can operate at up 71c. I read Greysky awsome overclocing guide but due to gigabytes wierd sttings not sure where to start to go further voltage wise. Any help is appreciated.

ive got a q6600 running stable at 3.4ghz. im on an asus formula tho. but i have my cpu volts set to 1.5 multi at 8x fsb at 425. ran prime stable for over 8 hours.

To hit 3.4GHz on my B3 Q6600 I have to run at 1.52v (1.56v i bios) and use 425x8. At this level I am fighting the chip temp as its pushing out over 220W of power into my water cooling setup which causes the chip temp to reach 65C with peaks over 70C which for me is to hot (its summer here so 25C-28C average room temp).

The other thing I had to do was raise the Northbridge chipset voltage a notch and the FSB termination voltage had to go upto 1.3v from the 1.2v default. If I didn't do this I got data errors after a few hours running prime.

The problem is each Quad core chip is different. Some can reach 4GHz and some cannot do more than 2.6GHz so you will have to play with the settings while keeping an eye on the temps.

Thanks for the replys. you guys are encouraging me cause once I get my ram I can lower the multiplier to 8 and raise the fsb 425 (from 9x33) and know its not the ram holding me back. I don't mind running at 1.5v as that is at intel spec but I am worried about anything over that.

wheazy : what temp you getting at 3.4ghz? and do you know what stepping your q6600 is? and to you and qwakrz, what cooling setup you have? and in what case?

Change the System memory multiplier 2.5 to 2, that should give you a 1:1 ratio and not let the CPU be help back by the RAM

I'm rebuilding a system for a friend using a B3 Q6600 and have it running @ 3.4GHz with 1.36v (after vDrop and vDroop) with a 425FSB, 1:1 mem. Idled @ 31,31,31,31 (RealTemp) load 55,56,54,57. This is all on a Tuniq Tower 120.

Thanks for the replys. you guys are encouraging me cause once I get my ram I can lower the multiplier to 8 and raise the fsb 425 (from 9x33) and know its not the ram holding me back. I don't mind running at 1.5v as that is at intel spec but I am worried about anything over that.

wheazy : what temp you getting at 3.4ghz? and do you know what stepping your q6600 is? and to you and qwakrz, what cooling setup you have? and in what case?

at 3.4 im getting about 32c idle low 50s during prime. slacr g0

......and to you and qwakrz, what cooling setup you have? and in what case?

I have a Swiftech H2O-Ultra (the kit with GPU, CPU and NB blocks and a 2x120 rad) cooling just my CPU (I want to add an 8800GTS 512 water block to it later). My case is an unmodified Thermaltake Tsunami but I run with the side panel off so I don't have to drill holes for the water cooling pipework. I do point a 120mm fan running on 5v into the case to keep air moving around the Asus P5K Deluxe motherboard.

I am considering getting a Q6700 soon as I can move my Q6600 B3 into my HTPC case (overkill but will mean I have loads of power so offloading blu-ray decoding will not be an issue anymore) when my EVGA 680i motherboard comes back from RMA,

Change the System memory multiplier 2.5 to 2, that should give you a 1:1 ratio and not let the CPU be help back by the RAM

I wish I could but the lowest memory multiplier option I have is 2.5. I am running the latest F3 BIOS btw

alight got th ram installed and I am now up to 3.2ghz (8x400) I get a blue screen when running Prime 95 and I cannot even boot at 3.4 ghz :( 8x425) I followed the gigabyte overclocking guide referenced by Danny Bui and I have my new OCZ ram settings in with the ddr voltage at 2.1 and all my other voltages +0.10v and the vcore is now at 1.5 and I am not comfortable going beyond that. What can be holding me back? or is 3.2ghz just the max for my q6600 if I can stablize it?

So your 3.2Ghz OC is Prime95 or Orthos stable at 1.5V?

no :( it blue screened on me. I'm running back at 3.0ghz stable with :

9x multiplier
333fsb
3x system memory multiplier
pci express Frequency 102 mhz
vcore is at 1.425
cpu temps highest one is 55c and lowest 51c

This runs stable for over an hour no problems. Now if I run :

9x multiplier
356fsb
3x system memory multiplier
pci express Frequency 102 mhz
vcore is at 1.450

I get to windows but then I get a blue screen or a just a restart within a minute :(

just wanted to add that with the new ram being only 2 sticks and rated for 1066, they are not running ovr clocked so I don't think the mch or dimms are an issue. I get a little more stability with higher voltages on the vcore. took it to 1.475v and I get to windows fine but then I get errors in prime 95 on one of the cores

ok now at 1.5 and running prime...
blue screened :( the highest temp core right before was 61c Thats a little too hot for my tastes as well as I wanted to stay around 1.4v vcore so I am leaning towards leaving it at 3 ghz for now unless someone has a sugestion on something I overlooked (i'm hopping)

Just to rule it out, keep the System Memory Multiplier at 2. Also stick a small fan on the north bridge just to make sure that MCH is properly cooled. And loosen the RAM timings to 5-5-5-15.

ok got the northbridge fan added on there. multiplier only goes to 2.5, I don't have a 2. goes 2.5, 3, 3.5 etc up. and for the ram, 5-5-5-15 is looser than 5-5-5-18? I thought smaller was tighter? been a long time since I did this and its totaly possible i have things backwards :p

ok got the northbridge fan added on there. multiplier only goes to 2.5, I don't have a 2. goes 2.5, 3, 3.5 etc up. and for the ram, 5-5-5-15 is looser than 5-5-5-18? I thought smaller was tighter? been a long time since I did this and its totaly possible i have things backwards :p

Oops, thought your RAM timings wer 4-4-4-12 for some reason. Hence why I said loosen up your timings. Lower is tighter.

Odd though how 2.5 is all that you can get. Keep it at 2.5 then.

Back