3.3v on 3.3v, 0.0v on 5v, 0.0v on 12v

JarJarBinks

Limp Gawd
I have a Dell Inspiron 1526 laptop that does very little once you push the power button.

I have connected a mini pci debug card and it gives me a voltage read out (3.3v on 3.3v, 0.0v on 5v, 0.0v on 12v) after
an error saying check power supply or CPU. I get no other warnings or code the board seems to do nothing after that inital light up. The fan spins for a few seconds and then also power downs. The only sign of life after that is the light on from the power. No light codes or beeps.

I used a multi-meter to check the DC jack in every way possible and it reads the 19v in every place I check. The CPU seems in good shape and has a good connection.

Does anyone have the slightest idea where I should go from there?

Sounds like your internal DC-DC PSU is shot, which might be a separate board or could be part of the main board. You'll have to look up the specific model.

Thanks for your help, can you lead me in the right direction for identifying it?

Thanks for your help, can you lead me in the right direction for identifying it?

Trouble is, you could buy the new DC-DC converter board only to find out that it killed the motherboard (and maybe other stuff) when it failed.

Look up a repair guide for your model and see if the power board is separate or not. If not, you need a new motherboard. At that point, a whole new machine may be the better option, depending on how comfortable you are making the repair, and the cost of parts.

Last edited:
Trouble is, you could buy the new DC-DC converter board only to find out that it killed the motherboard (and maybe other stuff) when it failed.
I've already checked the majority of other components in the laptop and they all seem to be working fine. If the motherboard is fried I may be willing to replace it because it may still make me some money. I just need to determine if that is in fact the problem.
Really though the lesson on this is worth the money.

Another thought - the power brick showed 19v out, but that's without any load on it. Longshot, but do you have a spare to test?

Yes, I have 2 other ones I can test with, another dell adapter and a universal adapter. I also have another Dell Laptop I can test the adapter on as well.

Last edited:
Don't use those "universal" adapters. if you paid less than $15 for it, it's going to be an IED with the potential to kill anything you plug into it. Lookup fake power adapters on youtube to see the awful quality of them.

Unless this is a learning experience or your idea of "fun" then I wouldn't bother. That laptop is a dinosaur and was obsolete the day it was unboxed.

Definitely invest in a decent digital multimeter. Find something with autoranging and buy that the first time. You really have no business fooling around with power supplies without one.

Back