3 30" Dell 3007WFP's - GPU Goodness

Hi Guys,

After watching a bunch of surround gaming clips and some advice from a few of you, I came to realize that my 2 Dell 3007 WFP's would not work lol... so I got another one and need to know what cards out there will drive these badboys in 2560x1600 surround/eyefinity....:D

I can't find any clips on You Tube on some setups with 3 3007's running surround.... they are usually smaller.

Yeah, nice rig, thought about dual core and 30" but didn't want to spend that kind of money and I wanted 3D. 1980x1080 3D is roughly the equivalent in terms of pixels as 7680x1600 and it can be rough on even 480s.

Thx, I'm wondering about my power to drive these three monitors - maxishine is using the Silverstone 1500 .... man looking at the Ultra 1600W or Silverstone 1500W PSU's to drive 3 GTX 480's or do you think I could get away with 2 5970's hmmm, wonder if I can drive 3 30" monitors with maybe 1 5970 hmmm...that would be awesome because I really don't want to do tri sli or triple crossfire right now as I might want to watercool gpu's next year. Just want to get up and running and enjoy.

I'm running 3x HP ZR30W's with 480-SLI. Freaking awesome in flight simulators. I can run Age of Conan with 2x AA but 4x AA and the 1.5GB 480's run out of Memory. You really need 2GB memory for this resolution with 4x AA or above.

I had my computer + 3 monitors plugged into the same UPS and everything shut down. I overloaded the UPS. ;)

I'm running 3x HP ZR30W's with 480-SLI. Freaking awesome in flight simulators. I can run Age of Conan with 2x AA but 4x AA and the 1.5GB 480's run out of Memory. You really need 2GB memory for this resolution with 4x AA or above.

I had my computer + 3 monitors plugged into the same UPS and everything shut down. I overloaded the UPS. ;)

How many 480's were you running?

So..... the power draw on your computer will be like running a microwave and a half after after hour. Is this really worth it?

So..... the power draw on your computer will be like running a microwave and a half after after hour. Is this really worth it?
dude, don't crap threads

it sucks

just because you would rather stick with your q6600 and 8800gt doesn't mean other people out there don't want the best of the best

dude, don't crap threads

it sucks

just because you would rather stick with your q6600 and 8800gt doesn't mean other people out there don't want the best of the best

Thanks man. And understanding the heat and multi GTX 480's for the price this card looks like it would be the winner because of power and heat and superior performance Radeon HD 5970 TOXIC OverClocked (OC) Edition - AND I could always add another one later...when I get more money lol... for a total of 8 GB.

I had a 4GB 5970+2GB 5870 for tri-crossfire, but I sold those in preference for 480-SLI. SLI work's a lot better in the games that I play.
even in memory limited scenarios?

I had a 4GB 5970+2GB 5870 for tri-crossfire, but I sold those in preference for 480-SLI. SLI work's a lot better in the games that I play.

Yes, that is killing me, I hear with the ATI/AMD cards that some games actually decrease FPS in crossfire and am a GTX guy as well and am a little skeptical about making the switch. Anyone know what games don't work well with Crossfire? Also because this card (Radeon HD 5970 TOXIC OverClocked (OC) Edition) is only one card but has two GPU's you can run it in crossfire right? Or do I have to physically have another card?

even in memory limited scenarios?

There's only a few instances in which 1.5GB at 7680x1600 wasn't enough, and that was the new zones in Age of Conan with 4x AA and above. A setting I don't even run as 2x AA is usually sufficient. All other games work great.

I find SLI work's a whole lot better and under more circumstances than Crossfire.

There are games out there though that will absolutely bring 2-3x 480's to their knees at 7680x1600. Metro2033 is one of them. I just don't think Metro's graphical quality matches its rediculous GPU requirements. It's not that good looking. Very inefficient programming.

I can play BF: Bad Company 2 though pretty good with 480-SLI.

I think you will find most that have tried both will definitely say SLI is better in virtually every way over Crossfire.

I think you will find most that have tried both will definitely say SLI is better in virtually every way over Crossfire.

It's also more expensive than Crossfire.

You would need 3 GTX 480's to really equal the performance of 1 Radeon HD 5970 TOXIC OverClocked (OC) 4GB Edition. This card is near 1Ghz clock and is 512bit whereas the GTX is only 384bit and a lower clock so it would take 3.

You would need 3 GTX 480's to really equal the performance of 1 Radeon HD 5970 TOXIC OverClocked (OC) 4GB Edition. This card is near 1Ghz clock and is 512bit whereas the GTX is only 384bit and a lower clock so it would take 3.

CF and Eyefinity don't scale nearly as well as SLI and Surrond overall, 2 480s will easily hang with the Toxic in muti-monitor mode.

CF and Eyefinity don't scale nearly as well as SLI and Surrond overall, 2 480s will easily hang with the Toxic in muti-monitor mode.

Sweet - that saves me some bucks maybe I'll go that route as my Obsidian 800D case is roomy enough I should be able to cool these badboys. ALSO I love the Lifetime warranty thru EVGA. That is really why I cannot get the Sapphire... what if after your 3rd year the card goes ploop... oh well your out 12 hundrend bucks...cya lol....

Yep, I think I'll get 2 GTX 480's and then see what comes out in the next 4 or 5 months then maybe watercool my gpu loop after that. If they don't come out with anything super cool I can always add a 3rd then water cool all 3.

Should be good.

HEY - thanks everyone - So sorry about my multi thread rampage but I think I have made up my mind and am going with the GTX 480's baby!
23_30_105.gif

dude, don't crap threads

it sucks

I would disagree, he not thread crapping so much as bring up a point, dual 480 GTX are HOT. they are also about the best the OP could get for this setup currently. SLI scales better then crossfire X. But it should absolutely be brought up that he will be running the equivalent of a small space heater in his game room. given his setup dual 480 may be the best but why is it thread crapping to remind the op of the cost, not only in money or utility bill but of the caveats as well?

um, it doesn't even work like that. at all. the 5970 only has a 256 bit bus. it just has one per gpu. that make 4gpus per two cards bu the memory bus per chip is still only 256. and the 480GTX 384 bit bus doesn't do anything more for it then ATI 256 does in real game play.

I would do some serous reading before you go spend money here. currently the best you could get here would probably be a pair of 480GTX water cooled and OCed. going past 3 gpus is kinda of gamble on either side. both Nvidia and ATI can actually loose performance by adding a 4th GPU in some cases (kinda rare but it does happen)

a pair of GTX480 is going to be HOT though and require a good PSU. it will also require a good case if you don't water cool

um, it doesn't even work like that. at all. the 5970 only has a 256 bit bus. it just has one per gpu. that make 4gpus per two cards bu the memory bus per chip is still only 256. and the 480GTX 384 bit bus doesn't do anything more for it then ATI 256 does in real game play.

I would do some serous reading before you go spend money here. currently the best you could get here would probably be a pair of 480GTX water cooled and OCed. going past 3 gpus is kinda of gamble on either side. both Nvidia and ATI can actually loose performance by adding a 4th GPU in some cases (kinda rare but it does happen)

a pair of GTX480 is going to be HOT though and require a good PSU. it will also require a good case if you don't water cool

Thanks and yes, even with two my case should be big enough for me to cool them well. I will end up water cooling next year if I do not sell these and get whats new then water cool em.

I will definitely post pics when I get everything hooked up!

Thanks Guys!

You do realize you have no clue what you are talking about? Posting architecture numbers has nothing to do with real world performance.

My dual 480 setup would routinely trump my 4GB 5970+2GB 5870 tri-crosssfire setup. Some games wouldn't even work in crossfire but would in SLI.

You do realize you have no clue what you are talking about? Posting architecture numbers has nothing to do with real world performance.

My dual 480 setup would routinely trump my 4GB 5970+2GB 5870 tri-crosssfire setup. Some games wouldn't even work in crossfire but would in SLI.
:rolleyes:

Thanks for that - that's why I just completed an order for 3 GTX 480's and will be running tri-SLi now.

I have a tri-30 set up as well. My recommendation would be to shy away from the stock 5970's and any card with less than 1.5GB of memory.

It's not about pushing pixels at this nonsense resolution, but rather bits and textures.

I am also planning on upgrading during the next green vs. red cycle.

edit: you already pulled the trigger on the best option imo =)

I am also planning on upgrading during the next green vs. red cycle.
you mean the next "red" cycle? :)

AMD's cards are coming out later this year. Nvidia's new cards are nowhere in sight.

That's awesome my 3rd Dell comes tomorrow. I'll have one more gpu than that gentleman : P

He's running dual GTX295 cards... he will technically have one more GPU (and one more PCB) than you :p

But you will have much more rendering power than he does :D

That's awesome my 3rd Dell comes tomorrow. I'll have one more gpu than that gentleman : P

Congrats, you are now part of an elite squadron know as the... Well I have no one but 3 480s are just hella sweet in Surround! I admit I don't think even 3 are good enough QUITE yet for 7680x1600 gaming, at least at the performance and quality settings I'd like to play normally but for most gmaes you'll be fine.

Enjoy!:D

That's complete and utter nonsense.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-hd5800-3way-cf_12.html

At the resolution of 2560x1600 the 3-way CrossFire wins 12 and loses 7 tests, yet the average 6.5% advantage over the GeForce GTX 480 SLI is far from impressive.

As for the price factor, the Radeon HD 5970 costs $650-700 and the Radeon HD 5870 about $400. The total cost will be higher than that of two GeForce GTX 480 cards. The small advantage of the AMD solution in terms of performance can hardly justify this difference in price.

So, two GTX 480s is cheaper than three 5870 and gives comparable performance.

And three GTX 480s are cheaper than two 5970s, and will absolutely hand the 5970s their ass.

I run GTX 480s SLI, but with a single 30" monitor. So, I can go tri-SLI if I need to. I had owned a 5870 with plans for crossfire or to upgrade to 5970, but accepting that AMD was never going to be bothered to offer the driver support I desire, I made the switch to a quality and higher-performing, cheaper Nvidia product.

you mean the next "red" cycle? :)

AMD's cards are coming out later this year. Nvidia's new cards are nowhere in sight.

Nvidia is a quality product. Quality takes time.

AMD's current gen tech is a year old and still suffers greatly in the driver dept. Expect the same out of their new tech.

I do not understand anyone who's considering AMD's 6xxx series.

Back