3.2TB SSD for $240

I know some of you were in the market for the 6.4TB models. I had a 3.2 one a while back and liked it but ended up selling it a couple years ago. Kinda wanted to grab a 6.4 when i thought the price was reasonable. This seller has good ebay seller "stats" and the price is right @ $229.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195581048461?hash=item2d8989f68d:g:HL4AAOSwQeJj2wNM&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAoIqLFXH84sKbkSDntZSZ0YJg+vTihW7e/q8W9qCaO3JVmv0u/QDlaYYGnJFf4Rc4hrJKOriOhheoBYepFjv/871vCaOHZ27Lm7Yefvf7JjKCu7tNp1NDlU+Rl98xNzQQlkw15s3bvfRpo6Yqj0OYWwdUNljn4Tq805L57QtmNcz9rrcIeRaulvNdnV/mWAEgoN3tFh/+G65lDf74h1thPnM=|tkp:Bk9SR-6NuYjHYQ
This won't last long...

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
These also use a silly amount of idle power. Ditched my 3.2 for that reason.

I know some of you were in the market for the 6.4TB models. I had a 3.2 one a while back and liked it but ended up selling it a couple years ago. Kinda wanted to grab a 6.4 when i thought the price was reasonable. This seller has good ebay seller "stats" and the price is right @ $229.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195581048461?hash=item2d8989f68d:g:HL4AAOSwQeJj2wNM&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAoIqLFXH84sKbkSDntZSZ0YJg+vTihW7e/q8W9qCaO3JVmv0u/QDlaYYGnJFf4Rc4hrJKOriOhheoBYepFjv/871vCaOHZ27Lm7Yefvf7JjKCu7tNp1NDlU+Rl98xNzQQlkw15s3bvfRpo6Yqj0OYWwdUNljn4Tq805L57QtmNcz9rrcIeRaulvNdnV/mWAEgoN3tFh/+G65lDf74h1thPnM=|tkp:Bk9SR-6NuYjHYQ
well, tomorrow is pay day...

Dunno, I'd rather buy a new nvme PCIe 4tb drive for that money and have better performance with a warranty at this point personally. Ymmv.
But these have one thing you can't buy today--endurance. So if you have a really high use environment, these can fill a niche. :)

That’s really a great price and I’ve been plenty happy with my 3.2TB model I’ve continued to use since this thread first spun up. Considering buying this and selling mine. Hmmmm

I bought the 3.2 lol and 3 years later I buy the 6.4 lol what is wrong with me lol
10TB anyone? lol.

You've done good considering those ssds will outlast almost everything else in your system. :) Once they are too old to be of use anymore because windows 12/13/whatever doesn't support them anymore, hit me up! :)

6.4TB for $230 is insane, even if its only PCI-E 3.0

I think I might grab that....
Any weird driver things I need to know about?

$229 for 6.4 is sick. I just spent $400 on a 4tb WD sn850x for my PS5. That 6.4 would make an awesome steam/game drive in my desktop. But I don't NEED it, I have a 5tb spinner....... MUST RESIST

Fuck it.
I'm gonna use this 6.4tb to replace 3 ~1TB NVME drives in my main machine, even if its a little slower than my MP600, the extra space will make up for it. I can put that MP600 into a different computer now.

6.4TB for $230 is insane, even if its only PCI-E 3.0

I think I might grab that....
Any weird driver things I need to know about?
If you go back a couple pages people have discussed issues but mostly they seem to be related to either needing to update the firmware or overheating. A couple folks have listed updated firmware and the card does pull a decent amount of power and can run pretty warm (but won't be much of an issue if you have good airflow.) It is a high quality item and was quite fast for its time it also has a lot of endurance so it should last you a long time even in a high workload environment.

Yeah, it's mostly gonna be used as a cache drive for the other 100tb of spinning disks that I have... 😅

Well, I'm glad the link shows these are all sold out on the eBay posting. I was seriously considering purchasing the 6.4TB... at $230, you can't go wrong.

I still have a second 3.2TB sitting around. I was going to add it to the 3.2TB already in my system, then decided to add it to a 5950x build. The problem is, the 5950x is still sitting unopened lol.

Well, I'm glad the link shows these are all sold out on the eBay posting. I was seriously considering purchasing the 6.4TB... at $230, you can't go wrong.

I still have a second 3.2TB sitting around. I was going to add it to the 3.2TB already in my system, then decided to add it to a 5950x build. The problem is, the 5950x is still sitting unopened lol.
Hey, but it's about the build not the amount you spent on it, amiright? :D

Yea somebody swooped in and bought the last 5, not super surprised the price was really good, I wanted to grab more but 1 is plenty for just me. Don't feel bad I've had a 3700x in my system and have had a brand new 5800x i was meaning to swap for a long time but still haven't done yet either.

Glad I moved quickly and grabbed one.
It's already shipped, should have time to install it within the week.
Did some digging and the IOPs are absolutely insane and the speed is rated at 2800/2100. I'll see if that holds up.

Yea somebody swooped in and bought the last 5, not super surprised the price was really good, I wanted to grab more but 1 is plenty for just me. Don't feel bad I've had a 3700x in my system and have had a brand new 5800x i was meaning to swap for a long time but still haven't done yet either.
Dang. Hope that person isn't just going to sit on them for a bit and then relist with a jacked price. (n)

Glad I moved quickly and grabbed one.
It's already shipped, should have time to install it within the week.
Did some digging and the IOPs are absolutely insane and the speed is rated at 2800/2100. I'll see if that holds up.
Nice! It should be just as expected and if anything faster depending on what hardware you're installing it on. (y)

Aw man I missed it. I picked up one of the 3.2 years ago and would have liked to upgrade to the 6.4
Just keep your eyes peeled as these drives will be around for a long time thanks to their endurance. :)

I bought an SSD from this guy and his drives are beaten to hell. If you don't care about that feel free, but it will be in a functional, but degraded state unless he can guarantee otherwise.

PXL_20230214_010811211.MP.jpg
PXL_20230214_010826422.MP.jpg

My 6.4tb arrived today. Looks practically brand new. Curious how used it actually is.

Annoyingly, installing it is gonna require an annoying amount of work. So I'll report back when I get it done.

Anyone ever see -60% useful life before? Crazy amount of read/writes on this drive unless I somehow did something wrong putting the firmware on here...

1676399690781.png

Does the drive still report the full 6.4TB (or binary equivalent) in Windows? The report seems to suggest that flash has actually worn out and you have somewhere in the 5TB range. Would account for the reduced speed warnings, too.

Drive has been hammered its whole life to get to those values.

Shows 5.82tb in windows. When testing in crystaldisk it shows 0% useful life and the reduced write mode obviously makes the write performance almost non usable.

1676401702684.png

1676401736928.png

Shows 5.82tb in windows. When testing in crystaldisk it shows 0% useful life and the reduced write mode obviously makes the write performance almost non usable.
yep, no reserve life left.. I mean you didn't pay a crazy amount, but that drive is on it's way out. I wish i would have seen this and replied sooner...if he advertised as anything but in a degraded state you need to get a return..

FYI, good ones sell for closer to $400 for future reference

All the listing says os that they were in good condition and ready to use. Seeing it in person the physical condition is good but obviously that its been overused. I sent a message to the seller asking if he tested the drives and provided the snips i gave above. Lets see what he says.

That's worrisome. I'll try mine in a secondary PC first to make sure I also didn't get a lemon before I tear down my main one...

Anyone ever see -60% useful life before? Crazy amount of read/writes on this drive unless I somehow did something wrong putting the firmware on here...

View attachment 549051
Talk about a blast in time, I had a couple around the 50-55% range and it ran perfectly fine but dang that "close to wearout" is really troubling. Long shot but try another pcie lane and you might get a little more?

Talk about a blast in time, I had a couple around the 50-55% range and it ran perfectly fine but dang that "close to wearout" is really troubling. Long shot but try another pcie lane and you might get a little more?
I already talked to the seller and his response was that it was pulled from a working system and i can return it for a full a refund if I'm not happy with it which is what I'm doing. Just frustrated that they didn't even test the drive before listing it for sale.

The guy does know better...he is just looking for rubes. At least he is accepting the return.

I got a dud as well.

messages_0.png
"
read only, device is dead. Wouldn't even let me format it because there wasn't anything left to format.
messages_0 (1).png

Glad I tried it in my partners system before I attempted to install it in my own.

Last edited:
All the listing says os that they were in good condition and ready to use. Seeing it in person the physical condition is good but obviously that its been overused. I sent a message to the seller asking if he tested the drives and provided the snips i gave above. Lets see what he says.
Did you say "Item is Defective" on your return request?

Yeah, part of my hesitation on upgrading is related to wanting to keep Windows 7 as the OS for the 5950x. I've read a few guides about how to do that and it seems like it will be a bit more time-intensive than "let's try to get this done in an evening" kind of project.

Also, reading through all the drive stats reported so far, I'm glad I missed out on this. With how little tinkering I've done with computers lately, I likely wouldn't have been able to check the stats on the drive before the return window passed.

Back