3.2TB SSD for $240

I bought the last $216 one I’m gonna see if I can fit it in my TR with 2 already to use as a scratch drive which would speed things up over raid 0 hdds I currently use in there, if it obstructs airflow too much I’ll let it go, I really was on the fence for a while but the price drop makes it at least worth the effort of at least trying.

Anyone know how old/new Firmware v8.9.6 is? I have a 4.3.3 firmware I could put on it.

It says how old it is right in your fio-status -a printout. See the date next to the firmware version? July 25, 2016.
gtac01's fio-status -a printout said:
Firmware v8.9.6, rev 20160725 Public

FWIW the latest FW for the SX300-6400 is v8.9.9 from Feb. 22, 2017.

It says how old it is right in your fio-status -a printout. See the date next to the firmware version? July 25, 2016.

FWIW the latest FW for the SX300-6400 is v8.9.9 from Feb. 22, 2017.

Thanks! Looks like it's not too far behind, and speeds look decent for a 4790k. Should be a bit better with the 10900k build.

6.4 Lenovo came in today, can't wait to get it in this weekend. :p
Let me know how it goes, I don’t think mine will be here until monday. My 3rd 3.2 from those refurbished ones should be here today or tomorrow, gonna see if you can put three of them in a standard desktop Threadripper rig without too many ventilation problems.

Let me know how it goes, I don’t think mine will be here until monday. My 3rd 3.2 from those refurbished ones should be here today or tomorrow, gonna see if you can put three of them in a standard desktop Threadripper rig without too many ventilation problems.
I want to see if I get any fuss about updating the firmware to the SanDisk branded (since this drive has SanDisk plastered all over it, except for one Lenovo sticker).

I want to see if I get any fuss about updating the firmware to the SanDisk branded (since this drive has SanDisk plastered all over it, except for one Lenovo sticker).

Let me know how that works, I‘d be just as inclined to use Lenovo’s. I’m not too concerned about it as long as it works. It’s going to free up an 8tb drive I was using for games. I wasn’t even going to bother but I need to dust the computer put in two hdds, and was going to swap the video card card so I took the plunge.

I gotta walk through the installation of the third 3.2 in my other system since I don’t even remember I’d I had to do anything to install the second one of anything, my wife was sick and I was watching my daughter at times during the install, I only really remember changing the pcie wattage since I was so distracted. I’m curious what will show up for thsr one for that one since the auction had it still packaged and the manual said sandisk in the pic. I used WD’s stuff for the 3.2s. It was claimed to be factory refurbished but is it just old stock, actually returned or what. If it’s old stock I bet it’s got old firmware. I also wonder if it is in fact a refurb if they roll the write counters back which based on the bad one mentioned above seems like it may be possible.

Ultimately once all these things are installed and running I’m probably going to forget all about them until it’s upgrade time.

Okay, man114 and gtac01 so far so good :)

I purchased this unit (accepted offer of $400): https://www.ebay.com/itm/SystemX-6400GB-SX350-Enterprise-Value-PCIe-Flash-Adapter-Sandisk/233547436789?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Downloaded Drivers and Firmware from here (need to register for a free account). I downloaded everything, but in the end only used these two, and of course my reading from the docu: https://link.westerndigital.com/enterprisesupport/software-download.html
- Driver - Fusion_ioMemory_VSL_4.3.7.1205_x64_storport.exe
- Firmware - fusion_4.3.7-20200113.fff

wd.png

Step 1, Installed Driver
Step 2, Went into Device Manager -> Disk Management; just to make sure the new disk was detected. At this point I did not format the disk, but I did initialize it as a GPT volume, just left it unformatted for now.
Step 3, Test out "fio-status" to make sure the driver was working properly (you will need Admin elevated cmd prompt). Notice it is on an old firmware: v8.9.6 rev 20160725
1.png

Step 4, Executed "fio-status -a" to dump all info about drive. I am getting a warning because I have it in a AMD PCIe Gen4 x 4 slot. Electrically this drive wants an x8 slot.
2.png

Step 5, moved the firmware file to a simple location. On my PC that was D:\ and executed a "Pretend" firmware update, to make sure everything was compatible and auto recognized. fio-update-iodrive -p D:\fusion_4.3.7-20200113.fff
3-a.jpg

Step 6, Since the Pretend run was fine, we execute for real (no -p), and wait. Go get some coffee!!: fio-update-iodrive D:\fusion_4.3.7-20200113.fff
3-b.jpg

Step7, REBOOT and verify that firmware upgrade was successful.
4.png

Step 8, Bump drive up to 75 Watt operation. Execute: fio-config -p FIO_EXTERNAL_POWER_OVERRIDE <SERIAL>:75000 , In my case, my serial was 1652D0058, so my command was fio-config -p FIO_EXTERNAL_POWER_OVERRIDE 1652D0058:75000. Don't get confused and use the LONG serial number like I did the first time and wonder why it's still set to 25 Watt :cool:. REBOOT and check again.
5.png

Step 9, Go back into Device manager, Disk Management and format that mofo.
6.png

Step 10, Test :) Keep in mind I am in an x4 slot, so it's only getting half the bandwidth it wants. Still, not bad at all :)
7.png

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thats the same one I bought and I expect the same firmware. My 3rd 3.2 showed up,today but I haven’t put it in yet.

Thats the same one I bought and I expect the same firmware. My 3rd 3.2 showed up,today but I haven’t put it in yet.
Awesome! So just follow what I wrote down for your eBay Lenovo unit and you will be update to the latest 2020 firmware and driver :cool: Not sure what 3.2 units you bought, but I think with running the "Pretend" upgrade option, you will see real quick if the firmware update will also support those drives too. I don't see why not, unless they are some specific OEM branded ones. Give it a go (y)

Awesome! So just follow what I wrote down for your eBay Lenovo unit and you will be update to the latest 2020 firmware and driver :cool: Not sure what 3.2 units you bought, but I think with running the "Pretend" upgrade option, you will see real quick if the firmware update will also support those drives too. I don't see why not, unless they are some specific OEM branded ones. Give it a go (y)

I bought 2 3.2s from the initial seller the third was from the guy I linked when I bought the 6.4 that has the factory remanufactured one in a box. I was gonna do this earlier but I dozed off since my daughter let me get all of 2hrs of sleep. I doubt this one has the latest firmware, the other two did, however I think the second was plug and play so assuming the driver works with whatever firmware was on it it should plug and play and I would have to set the pcie voltage. I wasn’t gonna bother with this but the seller dropped the price It’s almost too hard to refuse since it’s essentially a free Tb at the current SSD prices. I’m putting this in a gigabyte gaming Aorus 7 x399 board. The slots are x16, x8, x4, x16 x8. I will have video card, fusion, nu audio, fusion, fusion In the slots. Shouldn’t pose an issue other than possibly ventilation the board was meant for 4 video cards.

The 6.4 was the Lenovo seller. So that thing is brand new? This one Is going in my Asrock Phantom gaming x399 board that one only has 3 slots which I believe are x16, x8 and x16. I’m probably gonna put it in the bottom most x16 slot for ventilation purpsoes I won’t hve to worry about slot speed restriction. The only real issue potential here is this is sort of a media server running 14hdds. This drastically slows down the boot though the system is rarely shut down so I dunno if there is anything in specific to the boot process that would trigger the drive check. Not gonna know until Monday.

I attached a pic of the refurb one and the warranty card which lists a bunch of Fusion drives and their endurance, some of them are smaller but the write endurance may be useful for some applications. Those 190PB units would make ridiculous scratch drives if you’re zipping and unzipping files. The refurb card is actually labeled as such on the back with a remanufactured factory Label, so if they claim to be refurbs without it, they’re just Pulls or old stock labeled seller refurb.

Attachments

• 80F18F29-8E54-4EA5-B40D-C382E74C612B.jpeg
    80F18F29-8E54-4EA5-B40D-C382E74C612B.jpeg
    681.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 05CEB9B4-1044-4B75-B882-13100B28D90A.jpeg
    05CEB9B4-1044-4B75-B882-13100B28D90A.jpeg
    403.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Are you guys still getting these for decent prices? Link if so?

Item # 233547436789 new 6.4tb. He was auto accepting $400.

the current guy with the 3.2s is out of them it looks like or if there are more he hasn’t relisted, there have been a few sellers of the 3.2s.

Item # 233547436789 new 6.4tb. He was auto accepting $400.

the current guy with the 3.2s is out of them it looks like or if there are more he hasn’t relisted, there have been a few sellers of the 3.2s.

6.4 is a bit more than I need, but I appreciate the response, ty!

If you install multiple drives in one system when you do the power override do (serial):75,(serial):75 no spaces after the comma as many devices as you install, you must put the power down for each individual card.

The refurb card only showed a handful of reads/writes as pictured in case anyone runs across a factory refurb.

I did run into some oddities. It randomly erased my afterburner settings entirely so I had to redo my video card fan curves. Perhaps this was a result of trying to figure out the right command to override the pcie wattage.

Even though the firmware was older than the other two cards the card still set itself up automatically with the drivers already being installed. I’ll update it later, this was enough messing around for a night.

Outside of a Threadripper or server board no one probably Is going to install 3 of these anyway.

Attachments

• C514C5F7-5115-44BF-B922-B0DFC7938A14.jpeg
    C514C5F7-5115-44BF-B922-B0DFC7938A14.jpeg
    454.2 KB · Views: 0
Lenovo branded 6.4tb one showed up today, new and sealed. Didn’t know these were made into 2017. WD changed absolutely nothing about the packaging and neither did Sandisk from the Fusion IO 3.2 era. Exact same package, anti static bag etc. as the refurb Fusion IO 3.2 I just got. Really only difference was a bunch of Lenovo literature. I’ll install it later or maybe tomorrow depending on free time as I am also adding two hdds and doing a video card swap at the same time on that setup.

edit: after some digging around there’s a vague possibility you could actually warrant the new Lenovo ones (one year warranty) since the seller sends an invoice and Lenovo has them listed as user replaceable parts but you’d likely have to pay shipping charges.

Last edited:
Lenovo branded 6.4tb one showed up today, new and sealed. Didn’t know these were made into 2017. WD changed absolutely nothing about the packaging and neither did Sandisk from the Fusion IO 3.2 era. Exact same package, anti static bag etc. as the refurb Fusion IO 3.2 I just got. Really only difference was a bunch of Lenovo literature. I’ll install it later or maybe tomorrow depending on free time as I am also adding two hdds and doing a video card swap at the same time on that setup.

edit: after some digging around there’s a vague possibility you could actually warrant the new Lenovo ones (one year warranty) since the seller sends an invoice and Lenovo has them listed as user replaceable parts but you’d likely have to pay shipping charges.
Nice catch, though I doubt we will likely need it :) Agreed, brand new! I checked the stats on mine when I first installed it, and had less than a gigabyte written, so that's fresh out of the box to me.

Nice catch, though I doubt we will likely need it :) Agreed, brand new! I checked the stats on mine when I first installed it, and had less than a gigabyte written, so that's fresh out of the box to me.
The refurb 3.2tb I got had 96gb written. So my guess if they’re gonna go from a manufacturing defect they go pretty fast. I see from the design that it looks like on the 3.2 there are 3 daughter boards that plug into the main board and the “fusion io” branded plastic shielding makes it look like it’s all one upiece. The middle one is a slightly different color under normal light so my guess is they used to refurb them by replacing the defective boards. Probably in early days it was more likely to get a bad board so they split it in three whereas by the time the 6.4 was out it was probably less of an issue so they just soldered them all to the main board. It may also have been necessary to get the higher speeds of 8x too.

I plan on installing It today or tomorrow. I’m going to be dumping maybe 5.6tb to it almost immediately after install. I’ve got some storage to play with in the setup and I’m trying to figure out the best approach because I’d like to keep that setup going without another tear down until November when hopefully Best Buy runs those easystores on sale for Black Friday for the next round of storage upgrades. If it weren’t for that I’d have already done it.

I’ll check the writes when I get to it. My guess is it’s probably the same. There’s probably some write/mapping program that checks off each individual chip to make sure it works thats the use to test these things. If such a thing exists (I see no way the could have refurbed the 3.2 without it) it would be nice to get your hands on.

Found 1 VSL driver package: 4.3.7 build 1205 Storport Driver: loaded
Found 1 ioMemory device in this system
Adapter: ioMono (driver 4.3.7) ioMemory SX350-6400, Product Number:SDFADCMOS-6T40-SF1, SN:1630D0058, FIO SN:1630D0058 ioMemory Adapter Controller, PN:5491-72373-6400G Product UUID:fd2872b0-02da-53b7-a4f3-9cb4c47679d3 PCIe Power limit threshold: 74.75W PCIe slot available power: unavailable Connected ioMemory modules: fct1: 02:00.0, Product Number:SDFADCMOS-6T40-SF1, SN:1630D0058
fct1 Status unknown: Driver is in MINIMAL MODE: Device has a hardware failure ioMemory Adapter Controller, Product Number:SDFADCMOS-6T40-SF1, SN:1630D0058 !! ---> There are active errors or warnings on this device! Read below for details. ioMemory Adapter Controller, PN:5491-72373-6400G Microcode Versions: App:0.0.14.0 Powerloss protection: not available PCI:02:00.0, Slot Number:2 Vendor:1aed, Device:3001, Sub vendor:1aed, Sub device:3001 Firmware v8.9.9, rev 20180423 Public Geometry and capacity information not available. Format: not low-level formatted PCIe slot available power: 75.00W PCIe negotiated link: 4 lanes at 5.0 Gt/sec each, 2000.00 MBytes/sec total Internal temperature: 58.57 degC, max 61.52 degC Internal voltage: avg 1.01V, max 1.01V Aux voltage: avg 1.79V, max 1.80V Rated PBW: 22.00 PB Lifetime data volumes: Physical bytes written: 0 Physical bytes read : 0 RAM usage: Current: 0 bytes Peak : 0 bytes
ACTIVE WARNINGS:
The bandwidth of the PCI slot is not optimal for the ioMemory.
The ioMemory is currently running in a minimal state.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>fio-status -a
Found 1 VSL driver package: 4.3.7 build 1205 Storport Driver: loaded
Found 1 ioMemory device in this system
Adapter: ioMono (driver 4.3.7) ioMemory SX350-6400, Product Number:SDFADCMOS-6T40-SF1, SN:1630D0058, FIO SN:1630D0058 ioMemory Adapter Controller, PN:5491-72373-6400G Product UUID:fd2872b0-02da-53b7-a4f3-9cb4c47679d3 PCIe Power limit threshold: 74.75W PCIe slot available power: unavailable Connected ioMemory modules: fct1: 02:00.0, Product Number:SDFADCMOS-6T40-SF1, SN:1630D0058
fct1 Status unknown: Driver is in MINIMAL MODE: Device has a hardware failure ioMemory Adapter Controller, Product Number:SDFADCMOS-6T40-SF1, SN:1630D0058 !! ---> There are active errors or warnings on this device! Read below for details. ioMemory Adapter Controller, PN:5491-72373-6400G Microcode Versions: App:0.0.14.0 Powerloss protection: not available PCI:02:00.0, Slot Number:2 Vendor:1aed, Device:3001, Sub vendor:1aed, Sub device:3001 Firmware v8.9.9, rev 20180423 Public Geometry and capacity information not available. Format: not low-level formatted PCIe slot available power: 75.00W PCIe negotiated link: 4 lanes at 5.0 Gt/sec each, 2000.00 MBytes/sec total Internal temperature: 58.57 degC, max 61.52 degC Internal voltage: avg 1.01V, max 1.01V Aux voltage: avg 1.79V, max 1.80V Rated PBW: 22.00 PB Lifetime data volumes: Physical bytes written: 0 Physical bytes read : 0 RAM usage: Current: 0 bytes Peak : 0 bytes
ACTIVE WARNINGS:
The bandwidth of the PCI slot is not optimal for the ioMemory.
The ioMemory is currently running in a minimal state.

Looks like it might be some sort of PCIe communication error? You could try the card in another PC but you‘d probably have to format it.

So I have a drive thats acting the same way. for the love of me, I can’t figure out how to fix this.

I'm guessing you haven't figured this out yet, either? I've been trying to get a 1.3TB card working for a few days. Upgraded the firmware incrementally, cleared the LEB error with a secure erase, but it will not format/mount. If I try a secure erase now, it gives the: "Device '/dev/fct0' had a hardware error while sanitizing". Seller has agreed to take it back, but I'm probably not going to find another one at the same price.

I'm guessing you haven't figured this out yet, either? I've been trying to get a 1.3TB card working for a few days. Upgraded the firmware incrementally, cleared the LEB error with a secure erase, but it will not format/mount. If I try a secure erase now, it gives the: "Device '/dev/fct0' had a hardware error while sanitizing". Seller has agreed to take it back, but I'm probably not going to find another one at the same price.
Hardware error, and doesn't seem fixable. I have a couple "questionable" drives and was able to try different methods but all lead to the same path, a non working drive.

So this is interesting, after someone was asking me about the temperature range and failure of these drives. I decided to test a SX350 with idle temperatures of 60c to load temps to 70-72c. After a week, the unit spewed out a "hardware error". Going to try another one to see if it causes the same issue. Looks like the specs sheet say the operational temps are from 0c to 55c.

What the heck?
Are you swimming in money or something?
I mean I knew the average person here was on the richer side, but wow....

Not at all, I took a big risk on buying a lot of SX350 that were of unknown condition. Most had issues and thus gave me the opportunity to use different methods to see if I could fix them.

Last edited:
Not at all, I took a big risk on buying a lot of SX350 that were of unknown condition. Most had issues and thus gave me the opportunity to use different methods to see if I could fix them.

Did you kill working ones playing around with them? That would hurt, I’d be kicking myself.

That aside have you played around trying to fix 3.2s? Since the chips are in 3 removable banks I’m wondering if there is a way to swap together good drives if there’s bad chips on one and vice versa. That remanufactured one I got looks like they possibly can zero the counters on them. I don’t think you can easily see from my pic but it appears on the remanufactured one they almost certainly replaced the one chip bank (it’s darker). I’d assume there’s some sort of diagnostics you can run to figure out the chip bank that’s bad. I wonder if it’s possible to cobble together working ones. Around here there isn’t much of a source for the, but if someone had a known source it might be worth pursuing.

Did you kill working ones playing around with them? That would hurt, I’d be kicking myself.

That aside have you played around trying to fix 3.2s? Since the chips are in 3 removable banks I’m wondering if there is a way to swap together good drives if there’s bad chips on one and vice versa. That remanufactured one I got looks like they possibly can zero the counters on them. I don’t think you can easily see from my pic but it appears on the remanufactured one they almost certainly replaced the one chip bank (it’s darker). I’d assume there’s some sort of diagnostics you can run to figure out the chip bank that’s bad. I wonder if it’s possible to cobble together working ones. Around here there isn’t much of a source for the, but if someone had a known source it might be worth pursuing.
Yeah, it stings a little. I'm in it for the pure data since I plan to keep a good couple of them for the long haul. I can not reiterate again how much these need to under 55C!

Sorry I have not played with the 3.2TB as extensively, I can not actually find anyone I know nearby with a batch of them. However I been approached with more 6.4TB SX350 and 5.2TB PX600. So I have to see if I have time to even go through it again.

Okay, man114 and gtac01 so far so good :)

I purchased this unit (accepted offer of $400): https://www.ebay.com/itm/SystemX-6400GB-SX350-Enterprise-Value-PCIe-Flash-Adapter-Sandisk/233547436789?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Downloaded Drivers and Firmware from here (need to register for a free account). I downloaded everything, but in the end only used these two, and of course my reading from the docu: https://link.westerndigital.com/enterprisesupport/software-download.html
- Driver - Fusion_ioMemory_VSL_4.3.7.1205_x64_storport.exe
- Firmware - fusion_4.3.7-20200113.fff
Just to add to this, if you use an older driver and flashed to a new firmware that's outside the range of said older driver, It will cause a BSOD but usually it's not a big issue. ( I say usually because once it caused my W10 build to go bonkers and had to do a fresh install)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Looks like the specs sheet say the operational temps are from 0c to 55c.
Yeah, it stings a little. I'm in it for the pure data since I plan to keep a good couple of them for the long haul. I can not reiterate again how much these need to under 55C!

The 55C operational temp refers to ambient temperature, not device temperature. The SX300/350 and PX600 controller doesn't throttle till 78C and doesn't do a hard shut down till 85C per the documentation.

Sorry I have not played with the 3.2TB as extensively, I can not actually find anyone I know nearby with a batch of them. However I been approached with more 6.4TB SX350 and 5.2TB PX600. So I have to see if I have time to even go through it again.

Just to add to this, if you use an older driver and flashed to a new firmware that's outside the range of said older driver, It will cause a BSOD but usually it's not a big issue. ( I say usually because once it caused my W10 build to go bonkers and had to do a fresh install)

The 3.2tb is intriguing to me from a repair standpoint because in theory it’s probably possible to piece working units together from broken ones. If you got a big lot of broken ones there has to be a way to put the working parts together and get them operational.

I still haven’t installed the 6.4tb since I ordered some upgrades for the system as it is rarely taken apart and I’m still waiting on the parts. I’m not thinking ventilation will be too bad, its a tight case but the board only has 3 slots, well spaced and it’s in a cold room. While I’m intending to use it as a games drive, the system is really doing double duty as media server and is almost never powered down.

I‘m going to use a Lenovo’s driver and firmware even if it’s more up to date elsewhere because after reading the warranty since I have the invoice listing it as new there’s a good possibility I could get it warranted as such so I’m going To play it safe there.

The 55C operational temp refers to ambient temperature, not device temperature. The SX300/350 and PX600 controller doesn't throttle till 78C and doesn't do a hard shut down till 85C per the documentation.

That's how I read the documentation as well. I was reading the Dell user and install guides.

Finally got around to the 6.4tb install. Could not install the latest driver to even get to firmware update, kept getting BSODs. Installed the next newest driver and it worked perfectly fine. Didn’t bother trying to update the driver again after getting it working. Not exactly sure what the issue was/is put it in an 8x slot on the asrock phantom gaming 6 x399.

I bought Prey 2 Deluxe from GoG and it didn't work right. It had graphics issues and crashed occasionally but most noticeable was that the mouse wouldn't let me look up/down. Left to right worked but seemed to have weird unsmooth and kind of snapping to a grid like movements (if you are at all familiar with graphics programs with snap to grid functionality). I owned vanilla Prey on Steam and it worked fine. So I moved the steam install to the Fusion IO 3TB game drive and it had the same issues as GoG. So it looks like Prey is one game that doesn't work with this drive. I put it on a different smaller NVME drive and it works fine there. So just thought I'd share the info in case those of you using it as a games drive run into a similar issue.

Back