3.2TB SSD for $240

Hey guys, I just bought a Fusion-IO ioScale2 825GB on ebay for $65.. I thought it was cheap enough to get and mess around with.

Any idea where to get the ioScale2 driver? I looked on the Sandisk website that has been linked here and have not found had ioScale listed and ioDrive2 but no ioScale2.

I would try the same drivers as the ioScale. I looked in my documentation for the ioMemory SX300 and it says that the ioScale2 is a VSL 3 SW/driver device, not VSL 4 like the SX300.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Got a new motherboard (Asus Strix X570-E) so I can run the 6.4TB ioMemory SX300 at its full bandwidth. Benchmark results below. The far right shows the SX300 at 4x and 8x PCI-E bandwidths. I was surprised at how much the write went up too. The 6.4TB model can basically do NVMe drive speeds.
Zhppdp6.jpg

ready for them to come back. i need a few more and want to grab a couple of the 6.4 tb ones. too good of a deal to pass up.

Got an email from Paypal Credit today that gives $50 off $300+ with code "PAYPALPERKS". Good for today only.

i hear that paypal credit is reported on your credit rating now that it's handled by syncrony bank

It is. I get a notification from credit monitoring when I pay the total balance off on it. That said, why does that really matter much? The amount of credit they gave me increases my credit limit, so it's not like your utilization goes way up unless you have like no credit.

FaRKle0079, thank you for your Youtube video, it helped a lot and was super clear.

And definitely post some benchmarks when you get it working--I'd be very curious how it does compared to the 3.2/6.4TB.

Bro, here are the benchmarks for the Fusion-IO ioScale2 825GB.
I am running a Ryzen 1600 w/8gb 2400mhz on an Asus Prime X470-Pro motherboard.
The SSD is on the bottom slot that is physical 16x but is electrically an 8x slot that has a limit of 26w. It has a 4.00PB write life and mine was at 100%.
The performance is pretty similar, but the writes are a touch slower

Untitled.png

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thats why I got the 825GB to get rid of the ancient 1TB HDD on my secondary rig. I will just keep it in there as a back up archive.

Thats why I got the 825GB to get rid of the ancient 1TB HDD on my secondary rig. I will just keep it in there as a back up archive.

The problem I'm having is my DL speed is outrunning my write speed when installing games now haha

I wonder what the power consumption difference is between the 2...
From what I can tell, at 25W it's relatively the same. My eyes are little blind, however the SX350 uses sandisk nand and it seems to make a difference at 75W. didn't show the ioscale at 75w because it made no difference.

i hear that paypal credit is reported on your credit rating now that it's handled by syncrony bank
Dang, that means I should have gotten this.. wtf, im at 810.

aznpotpie that 6tb looks yummy AF. Holy cow what a bad ass drive. I didnt read, but how is the warranty on these?

how is the warranty on these?
Nonexistent. These are not consumer drives where you call an 800 # or take it back to BestBuy. They're surplus/old enterprise drives that are a gamble, and priced accordingly.

Edit: Note this is not a criticism of the drives, just pointing out the nature of buying enterprise surplus. I personally haven't cared about drive warranties since 2007.

Last edited:
Nonexistent. These are not consumer drives where you call an 800 # or take it back to BestBuy. They're surplus/old enterprise drives that are a gamble, and priced accordingly.
true, but his gamble is mostly only as far as the legitimacy of the ebay seller, and the luck of the draw on the life remaining on the drive - which so far most everyone in this thread except one person has been 60% or above remaining life (at least that I've seen - which is HUGE write life remaining compared to even new consumer drives). The drives are robust, and enterprise grade and will/should outlast most brand new consumer drives one could pick up. Buy from a noteworthy seller, and the gamble is pretty low risk.

These drives are old, and while the IO Fusion drives apparently have a 5 year warranty new - that's probably passed on most of these devices - if they would even honor it - since you aren't the original consumer.

Mine hasn't missed a beat and I love it! It was a fantastic purchase!

true, but his gamble is mostly only as far as the legitimacy of the ebay seller, and the luck of the draw on the life remaining on the drive - which so far most everyone in this thread except one person has been 60% or above remaining life (at least that I've seen - which is HUGE write life remaining compared to even new consumer drives). The drives are robust, and enterprise grade and will/should outlast most brand new consumer drives one could pick up. Buy from a noteworthy seller, and the gamble is pretty low risk.

These drives are old, and while the IO Fusion drives apparently have a 5 year warranty new - that's probably passed on most of these devices - if they would even honor it - since you aren't the original consumer.

Mine hasn't missed a beat and I love it! It was a fantastic purchase!
No joke, if it wasn't for this thread, I wouldn't have stumble onto a hidden stash of SX350 from a friends friend! And it really depends on batch, I actually had two IoStorage that were 50 and 55% but was like whatever, cheaper then a 2.5" SSD!

Call me an idiot but it's been forever since I've added a drive to anything.

Got it today, got it installed, loaded up the Dell drivers. It's showing in task manager and cmd, but not as a useable/named drive. Also, how does one check the firmware date? I see it in the CMD status, but I have no idea how that relates to the one I'm seeing on Dell's site

339367_1586816287563.png

EDIT: Not showing in disk management either

EDIT 2: yup, I'm an idiot, I didn't see it listed as Disk 0 needing a partition created. Good now, On to the benchmarks!

Attachments

• 1586817195982.png
    1586817195982.png
    34.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
So first is my very old boot SSD.... This test makes me realize I really need to pony up and get a new one sooner than later haha..

1586818035826.png

And the ioFusion from the post above:
1586818566447.png

Just updated the FusionIO to the latest firmware and re-ran the test. (also moved DOOM to the drive... of course it's 69GB), no real difference to speak of

fusionio firmware update.png
fusionio newest firmware bench.png

Last edited:
I’d be interested in seeing SMART info and lifetime bytes written along with the benchmarks if it’s easy to pull that too.

I’d be interested in seeing SMART info and lifetime bytes written along with the benchmarks if it’s easy to pull that too.

I'll happily do it if someone wouldn't mind letting me know how, as the drive doesn't show at all in Crystal Disk Info...

1586989299700.png
1586989310790.png

If it's just in the command prompt status, you can see mine here, from before I did the firmware update..

crop.png

I'll happily do it if someone wouldn't mind letting me know how, as the drive doesn't show at all in Crystal Disk Info...

If it's just in the command prompt status, you can see mine here, from before I did the firmware update..
As far as I can tell, you can't use CDI for these drives and by fio-status -a

I have a weird issue.

I got a 3.2TB SX350 installed in my system along with my 825GB.

Once I installed the driver for the 3.2, I no longer can see the 825 when I do the fio-status -a command.
Both drive function perfectly fine in my system though.

Untitled.jpg

I have a weird issue.

I got a 3.2TB SX350 installed in my system along with my 825GB.

Once I installed the driver for the 3.2, I no longer can see the 825 when I do the fio-status -a command.
Both drive function perfectly fine in my system though.

View attachment 238158
Is your 825 an iOstorage? This happened to me when I had the iostorage ane sx300 installed. Both work but with different drivers loaded but fio-status shows only one of them

Help! I've been using my 6.4 daily since the beginning of February with no issues. Today I came home and booted up, it gave the boot error and said it would need to check disk, then said it couldn't check disk. Booted into windows, the drive isn't showing up. Ran fio-status a. Active warnings: The ioMemory is missing a LEB map. Ran fio-attach /dev/fct0. Attaching (100%). Attached. (Warning: device name not available). Drive is still not showing. Obviously I don't want to format unless that's the only option. What to do?

Edit: I gave up and tried reformatting using fio-format /dev/fct0, but it won't even reformat, gives Error: Device does not have a persistent LEB map. Any ideas? Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Is your 825 an iOstorage? This happened to me when I had the iostorage ane sx300 installed. Both work but with different drivers loaded but fio-status shows only one of them
It's an ioscale2 drive.

I think the drivers may be incompatible, but if that's the case any idea how I would check the status of the need arises?

Right now I'm just stoked it works.

It's an ioscale2 drive.

I think the drivers may be incompatible, but if that's the case any idea how I would check the status of the need arises?

Right now I'm just stoked it works.
From what I can tell there is no actual method to do a fio-status -a on two different series of drives since only one driver is loaded at a time! I wonder if anyone has any other experiences?

Help! I've been using my 6.4 daily since the beginning of February with no issues. Today I came home and booted up, it gave the boot error and said it would need to check disk, then said it couldn't check disk. Booted into windows, the drive isn't showing up. Ran fio-status a. Active warnings: The ioMemory is missing a LEB map. Ran fio-attach /dev/fct0. Attaching (100%). Attached. (Warning: device name not available). Drive is still not showing. Obviously I don't want to format unless that's the only option. What to do?

Edit: I gave up and tried reformatting using fio-format /dev/fct0, but it won't even reformat, gives Error: Device does not have a persistent LEB map. Any ideas? Thanks guys.
fio-sure-erase -r /dev/fct# , have you tried that? If i recall it securely erases everything on the drive.

Back