3.2TB SSD for $240

Got mine today! 98.5% life remaining, good stuff. Really pleased with this for under $200... kinda wish I got two.

C: Sandisk Extreme 240GB SATA
E: Adata SU800 1TB SATA
F: Fusion 3.2TB

diskeydrivey.jpg

Grats on $475!

I really didn't need the drive so I lowballed on purpose just to see if he would bite. I'd rather not be the first guy to pull the trigger - without having some idea of the history / endurance left on the drives.

Besides I'm torn on usiong a PCIE slot / blocking airflow on storage - it would defeat the purpose of switching over to all m.2 drives 🙃
Honestly, the 6.4TB is faster than the 3.2TB and $475 for over 6TB is a pretty good price. Either way let us know though.

Got mine today. 89.5% remaining. Currently in a 25W slot on my X79 system copying my game drive data so I can move it over to a new build. Haven't tested speed in the low power slot yet but I will once my copies are done.

Picked one up.

89.27% endurance remaining. I am using ASUS X570-F. I have three full size 16x slots and am using 3rd gen Ryzen. I can't make heads or tails of this lane shit.

My graphics card was PCI-E 3.0 @ 16x but now it's running at 8x. I see that's not a big deal, is that correct?

I have to use the middle slot because the heatsink interferes with my USB 3.0 mobo header connector as the 3rd full length slot is the last one.

Also I can't seem to dedicate 75w to it but knowing this board supports crossfire shouldn't the top and middle slots provide 75w?

https://github.com/snuf/iomemory-vsl
This may help, it's a user updated driver for newer kernels... Not sure how stable or up to date, please keep me updated, I run Ubuntu 18.04 LTS on my home server that I was looking into this for.

that's interesting, looks like you have to compile it your self and it says it must be updated v 3.x firmware but, mine is v7.x!!! ...huh..

Picked one up.

89.27% endurance remaining. I am using ASUS X570-F. I have three full size 16x slots and am using 3rd gen Ryzen. I can't make heads or tails of this lane shit.

My graphics card was PCI-E 3.0 @ 16x but now it's running at 8x. I see that's not a big deal, is that correct?

I have to use the middle slot because the heatsink interferes with my USB 3.0 mobo header connector as the 3rd full length slot is the last one.

Also I can't seem to dedicate 75w to it but knowing this board supports crossfire shouldn't the top and middle slots provide 75w?

the more stuff you plug in the slower the lanes/slots get!

that's interesting, looks like you have to compile it your self and it says it must be updated v 3.x firmware but, mine is v7.x!!! ...huh..

go find the 16 pg thread on servethehome, page 15 a guy explains the firmware. 3.x is 7.x hard to explain

just enabled 75w power override and got benchmark of 1515/1426 while steam installs some games. Pretty incredible really. 3x the speed of SATA for 60% the cost.

Yes ,their original drivers are/were compile to install on Ubuntu... So any driver based on it will also be. I am not sure if there were other projects for later firmware. I tried going to get the original sources but didn't have any luck as you must create a corporate account (at least the site I was at). Sorry if that didn't help, thought it sounded promising but I don't have one to test otherwise I'd of tried it on my box first.

Got mine installed earlier today, 74% life remaining. Slipped it into my workstation and it just fit behind the hardline - no loop draining required thankfully.
Ran a batch of tests against my various SSDs - excellent numbers for the amount of storage and price. Absolutely puts my Samsung PM863 (SATA) to shame in terms of speed, storage, and cost.
Kicking myself now for not buying a 2nd one at that price.

SSD test crystaldisk speed tests.PNG

Picked one up.

from my understanding and also reading asus's manual for that board(page 1-7 at the bottom) they have some of the pcie power tied to the extra 4 pin cpu power connector at the top of the board(not all board manufactures do this though, just seems to be ASUS afaik). so if you want full dedicated 75w power per slot you need to connect that extra 4 pin otherwise it shares the power between both slots so that it doesn't overload the 24 pin. realistically though if you're not using an RX 400 series card most cards don't pull the full 75w so the board should be able to auto balance the power draw. the third x16 slot is pcie 4.0/3.0 x4.

POV

Now, thats a real case to file a return claim.

That drive has seen more bits than Mr Ed.

Do you mind running a benchmark to see if performance is appreciably different on an drive nearing EoL?

Sure, here are my two drives. Fresh Windows 10 install running on a Asus Tuf x570-Plus with a 3600x.

Fusion BM.jpg
970 Evo.jpg

Both 3.2TB drives were rather close with Crystal Disk so I'm including just one bench. Also discovered that this Sabertooth z87 has one faulty PCIe x16 slot :confused: , I can run nvidia graphics and one ioFusion drive. Thanks to thread starter and all who contributed. Edit: Wanted to add I'm using the DeLL driver, curious as to whether anyone did a comparison, bit apprehensive of making an account with WD, yet if it helps performance I'd give it a go.
StaticStats.png
ioStaticFusion.pngioScaleShoes.png

Last edited:
I just came to post that I got one of these too, health was at 82.53%. I left the wattage at 25 because I have it in the bottom most slot. Seems to perform well enough though.

Attachments

• A25320CE-1CC5-4A12-9600-3DB42651A5BB.jpeg
    A25320CE-1CC5-4A12-9600-3DB42651A5BB.jpeg
    770 KB · Views: 0
Yup, my return for exchange got changed into a return for a refund. =(

if you didn’t return it already you could always cancel the return, since that other poster’s drive still works into the negatives you could realistically have more than 60% useable life left since there is obviously some margin of safety built in. In another two years consumer drives will be the price we paid for these anyway and eventually cheaper and faster, so it only has to get you to that point unless you need the write durability.

Any more links to these drives? All I see is one for $299, but it auto denied my $200 offer :(

So no difference in speed between Dell driver and WD driver?

No difference really between the two drivers on my system, post 228 and 223 benchmarks are almost a carbon copy. I'm going to stick with the WD driver as it's installed and everything is working, thankfully.

What kind of crash are you experiencing? I've not run into it yet. I assume it's kicking it off automatically since you guys are saying it's in the way?

What kind of crash are you experiencing? I've not run into it yet. I assume it's kicking it off automatically since you guys are saying it's in the way?

It seems to happen after any unexpected shut down. I've only had it happen once, my PC locked up and I did a hard reset. Some drive check thing came up as I was booting, I don't know if it gives the option to skip, but by the time I had noticed it there wasn't one. I don't even know how long it took, after about 10 minutes I said fuck it and went and did something else.

Any random crash or forced shut down.

You can skip it but the drive won't show up if you do. Figured that out.

I swear it's a good 20+ minutes

I sometimes get the drive check and it is annoying. I put extremely tight timings on my ram on top of an overclock and sometimes will get 3 or 4 false boots before it works if the ram is really cold (as in room temp) from a cold shutdown. Depending on how far it gets on the debug counter on the mobo debugging and such depends on if it triggers it, I think if it cues past the pcie check then has to try again to get stable it will pop the drive check. The I have to wait, then the computer will want to attempt a recovery of its own because it thinks it didn’t boot. I really don’t want to lose the performance of the ram overclock if I could shut the drive check off. Plus it happens only once every couple of boots at most.

I used to push my overclocks to the edge like that.
Now I just have a mild, safe, always works, never crash overclock with the motherboards default auto voltages.

Lifes good, and too short for that noise.

I used to push my overclocks to the edge like that.
Now I just have a mild, safe, always works, never crash overclock with the motherboards default auto voltages.

Lifes good, and too short for that noise.

It was actually more of a mistake than a cutting edge overclock. I have a TR 1950X and when I got it I had 16gb of B die RAM which I pushed to 3466 then eventually dialed back to 3200 and set the timings lower. RAM prices were dropping around that time so I bought a 3000 kit but 32gb which was really cheap, I put it in and went back to profile 1 it was the same timings but I had assumed they’d default out when I switched the kit. Well it booted fine initially and was perfectly stable (it was still warmer weather at the time). I run a wood stove and the room will occasionally get down to 59 degrees in the winter so one day I cold boot and it does a few false boots before starting. I initially thought the PSU was going, it was an nvme drive I had recently upgraded or the nu audio card I had added. So it didn’t happen for a few days so I figured it was something with the nvme or nu audio and had been rectified. So when it happened the second time I poked around and realized it had retained the faster timings. Eventually I pinned it down to when the ram was physically cold. Since it was stable all the time otherwise when in use and warm restarts I just never realized it.

Seeing as it’s never been an issue when running it seems pointless to dial it back, I suppose with infrequent reboots I can tolerate drive scans on occasion for the few colder weeks unless it can be shut off.

Has anyone bought the 6TB drive and if you did, can you post benches? Thanks!

I just made an offer on the 6TB version. Would I follow the same directions as the 3TB version assuming he bites.

Back