3.2Ghz P4 w/ 2GB RAM and 8800GTX?

ZacharyS

Gawd
My friend has a 2.4Ghz P4 and 1GB RAM, he wants to upgrade to 2GB RAM and an 8800GTX. Is it worth the upgrade?

I told him he should wait for ATI, if only to see what they offer, but he said he likes nVidia (he has a 6600GT now).

CPU bottleneck, and if it's a S478 P4, then he's done for. Only Albatron put out a board with S478 + PCIe (and only one x16 alot at that...).

No, it's s775.
if he has PCI-E then yes, it's a worthwhile upgrade
1gb of ram doesn't cost to much and the card is easily moved to a new(er) system.
if in 6 months he wants to upgrade the rest, the worst is just not being able to use the memory with new setup.

The title says 3.2ghz, and in the OP it says 2.4GHz?

>_<

I have no clue why I wrote 2.4Ghz :eek:

So, you guys think it'd be worth it for him? I could never see myself spending that much $$$ on a GPU, but whatever, that's his deal.

if he is just looking for better gaming performance then get the extra gig of ram and the 8800(gts would be a better decision imo) I'm sure a 3.4Ghz P4 still does great at gaming.

DO NOT get that 8800GTX with that proc, the GTX will be crazy bottlenecked with that proc.

What if his motherboard is like a 925X chipset or a 945 that doesn't support Conroe?

Big bottleneck, I got 2x 3d06 video scores by moving from P4 3.4 Ghz to a Conroe with a 8800GTS. ~3x cpu 3d06 scores too.

I wouldn't go for a 8800gtx right now on a system like that - money would be more effective in 2gb's of ram and a x1950PRO/XT or 7900gs/7950gt.... and coming from a 6600gt - he would see a pretty big difference I think.

*edit: I just checked Newegg and the EVGA 8800gts 320mb is priced @ $280 - that and 2gb's would bring home the goods... even with a 3.2ghz P4.

pretty much any single core will be a bottle neck. Allthough I don't have any clue how fast the core solo's are.

IMHO, if a person can afford the 8800GTX, get it. This leaves you a lot of room for future upgrades. But, with the present CPU, any 8800 video card will be bottlenecked. I think I'd have to suggest to the OP to recommend his friend upgrade the CPU and the GPU at the same time as the best approach. Secondarily, upgrading the CPU first and then upgrade the GPU later would be the next best route to top performance. But this is from my experience. Best of luck!

I had a Pentium 4 631 3.0GHz / 2MB Cache / 800MHz FSB & an ATi X800.

I upgraded to an 8800GTS....and it was a huge improvement, even bottlenecked by the Pentium 4, it was still twice as fast....but this is coming from a pos X800...
3DMark 06, btw, was maybe 2k points before....5k after the 8800GTS 320MB Superclocked was installed.

A week later I upgraded to a Core 2 Duo 6600 2.4GHz...again, a huge improvement.

3DMark 06 went from 5k to nearly 10k.

I say get the 8800GTS so you can have the power waiting to be unleashed...then unleash it at the same time, or ASAP, with a C2D.

Back