3.2E @ 4.0ghz ???

camay123

[H]ard|Gawd
I just got myself a 3.2E.

My goal is to have it run at 4.0ghz @ 250fsb.

I havent seen alot of O/C database on the 3.2E.

Do you think it's a possible goal ?

camay123 said:
I just got myself a 3.2E.

My goal is to have it run at 4.0ghz @ 250fsb.

I havent seen alot of O/C database on the 3.2E.

Do you think it's a possible goal ?

It is very possible....depending however on your motherboard, your CPU cooling, CPU stepping, and memory capabilities.

Mind giving us/me a list of a few things?

1: CPU stepping (the last 5 characters of the PROD. CODE on your box)
2: Your motherboard make, model, and revision...if possible
3: What you have setup for cooling on the 3.2E and/or if you have plans to add any extra cooling
4: Make/model/speed (PC3200 for example) of your memory

MSI is MSI Neo2-LS I865PE
Stock cooling
Ram is Mushkin PC4000 2x512m
As for the cpu stepping, I dont know I have yet to receive the cpu.

camay123 said:
MSI is MSI Neo2-LS I865PE
Stock cooling
Ram is Mushkin PC4000 2x512m
As for the cpu stepping, I dont know I have yet to receive the cpu.

It's a little harder to judge something like this without knowing the stepping and revision of the chip.....but I wouldnt get your hopes up TOO much if you're thinking of 4GHz on stock cooling. Even if you got a really nice 3.2E it'd be doubtfull....as it's gonna be running fairly hot....and the Intel stock coolers aren't the greatest things in the world (to put it lightly) when it comes to overclocking a Pressy.

As long as the mobo is "Prescott Ready" you'll at least be able to give 'er a go...but don't be deceived by that statement being made on a lot of boards. I recently had to give up my DFI Lanparty Pro875B revB mobo for an Abit IC7-MAX3 'cus even though the DFI fully supported the Prescott cpu's, it refused to/wasn't capable of feeding more then 1.5v to the CPU...which just wasn't going to do for the longer term overclocking plans I had for this 3.4E of mine.

Mushkin usually isn't to bad for releasing a plethora of different revisions and versions of one stick of ram, but if you have a link to your specific memory it might help a tad....either way though the memory won't hold you back if you're just looking at hitting 250fsb....essentially reaching to take your PC4000 to stock clocks.

On air cooling of even the best kind I wouldn't expect it. On water it would be a fairly easy matter.

That MSI 865PE board is also not likely to produce those results. That board has a few flaws that I think will prevent it.

cornelious0_0 said:
It is very possible....depending however on your motherboard, your CPU cooling, CPU stepping, and memory capabilities.

Mind giving us/me a list of a few things?

1: CPU stepping (the last 5 characters of the PROD. CODE on your box)
2: Your motherboard make, model, and revision...if possible
3: What you have setup for cooling on the 3.2E and/or if you have plans to add any extra cooling
4: Make/model/speed (PC3200 for example) of your memory

I never knew about CPU stepping, how does that give you any information about how well it could overclock?

Sir-Fragalot said:
On air cooling of even the best kind I wouldn't expect it. On water it would be a fairly easy matter.

That MSI 865PE board is also not likely to produce those results. That board has a few flaws that I think will prevent it.

I agree, the MSI 865PE isn't really the best board to look at achieving this kind of OC with, but it'll still be interesting to see what can be done with it.....but on air cooling the calibre of an XP-90 or w/e else I could maybe see him hitting about 3.6GHz or 3.7GHz at most.....if it's a good stepping on his 3.2E and his room temps are low enough.

I never knew about CPU stepping, how does that give you any information about how well it could overclock?

Some certain processor steppings simple DO overclock better.....for what specific reason I'm not sure, but there's usually 1 or 2 decent steppings for chips from the 2.4C forward. It will help a fair bit.

Another thing that helps is the processor revision. This is seen in CPU-Z and shows up in the form of two characters, one letter followed by one number. For example, my 2.8C was an "M0" which was a very good revision for overclocking....and I ended up hitting 3.84GHz or so on it with watercooling, a 1GHz overclock. Another example is my current 3.4E, that is a "D0"....also...another great revision for overclocking....and at the moment I'm only being limited by temps, as I've hit 4.29GHz, but under load in Aquamark3 and other tests the CPU is still reaching 40-50C on h2O....and even though that's low for a Prescott, it's still to warm to maintain any higher clock rates.

I hope I've been a little help here, be sure to get me that CPU stepping/revision when you get the chip bro. ;)

32e.jpg

Those are my possibilities. Wich one should I hope for ?

That MSI board is taking my P4 2.4C @ 3.4ghz Prime95 Stable.
I can go in windows at 3.6ghz but will sometimes reboot and cannot run Prime95.

cornelious0_0:

my proc is Stepping 9, Revision D1.... is that of the good ones for OC? Are there certain steppings and revisions that are known to be better for OC.. or is it just by experience?

Youssef said:
cornelious0_0:

my proc is Stepping 9, Revision D1.... is that of the good ones for OC? Are there certain steppings and revisions that are known to be better for OC.. or is it just by experience?

By experience you know if a cpu is good for O/C.
For example 2.4C with the M0 revision are suppose to be better. You generally get more high O/Cing cpu with that revision then other revision, but dont be fool, in the M0 revision you could have a non good for O/Cing cpu.

The sSpec is used to determine the O/C potential of a chip, nothing more. I had an SL7KC that did reach 4.0 GHz, but that depends on the motherboard you are using adn a little luck with the CPU. You may get the right rev and have it not overclock. You will likely need a good Prescott ready 875 based board to reach the chip's full potential. I found the best board to get the Prescott to sustained high clocks without burning up the board was to use a well cooled power system found on the Abit IC7-Max3. Any other board, and the MB temp ended up higher than the CPU temp, such as the IC7-Max II and the ASUS P4C 800-E Deluxe 875. The Max 3 board, IMO, is the best 875 based board for the Prescott.

HeavyH20 said:
The sSpec is used to determine the O/C potential of a chip, nothing more. I had an SL7KC that did reach 4.0 GHz, but that depends on the motherboard you are using adn a little luck with the CPU. You may get the right rev and have it not overclock. You will likely need a good Prescott ready 875 based board to reach the chip's full potential. I found the best board to get the Prescott to sustained high clocks without burning up the board was to use a well cooled power system found on the Abit IC7-Max3. Any other board, and the MB temp ended up higher than the CPU temp, such as the IC7-Max II and the ASUS P4C 800-E Deluxe 875. The Max 3 board, IMO, is the best 875 based board for the Prescott.

Nice to see we're singin' the same song. ;)

The SL7KC and SL7B8 are the two best 3.2E's you'll find.

After what Ive read, and your opinions, it seem that Prescott cpu's are worst Overclockers then Northwood's ? Am I right ?

camay123 said:
After what Ive read, and your opinions, it seem that Prescott cpu's are worst Overclockers then Northwood's ? Am I right ?

I wouldn't say worse, they are just picky about what setups they will do well in.

Back