3.0 P4 for 175 come febuary...one can only hope.

I just paid 175 for this 2.4C (including charges for me having to RMA it). Hot damn! That'll be a very amazing price to see though, I think it might be a little higher than 175 if this is true (like around $200).

Originally posted by BillLeeLee
I just paid 175 for this 2.4C (including charges for me having to RMA it). Hot damn! That'll be a very amazing price to see though, I think it might be a little higher than 175 if this is true (like around $200).

The 2.6C is being phased out, and the 2.4C is already gone, so the 2.8 and the 3.0 are going to be the "low-end" chips as weird as it sounds and will have to be priced accordingly.

Originally posted by MemoryInAGarden
The 2.6C is being phased out, and the 2.4C is already gone, so the 2.8 and the 3.0 are going to be the "low-end" chips as weird as it sounds and will have to be priced accordingly.
Excellent point...2 years ago who would've thought you could buy a 2.4ghz proc for under $200?;)

Prescott is going to be slower clock for clock than Northwood. Some preliminary unverified benchmarks I've seen place the performance loss at about 15%.

Assuming all other variables are equal, that means a 3.0GHz Prescott will run like a 2.6GHz Northwood. $175 is about right.

Originally posted by TerryMathews
Prescott is going to be slower clock for clock than Northwood. Some preliminary unverified benchmarks I've seen place the performance loss at about 15%.

Assuming all other variables are equal, that means a 3.0GHz Prescott will run like a 2.6GHz Northwood. $175 is about right.

If that's correct, then there will be no reason whatsoever to buy a Prescott. Damnit... I have been holding off building a new system for a while now and it seems I never will.

Ok, currently my sig machine is fine, but I really could use hyperthreading for video and 3d stuff... should I get a 3.4C, an Athlon 64 3400+ or just wait.. and if so, wait for what?

Originally posted by StArWaRrIoR
If that's correct, then there will be no reason whatsoever to buy a Prescott. Damnit... I have been holding off building a new system for a while now and it seems I never will.

Ok, currently my sig machine is fine, but I really could use hyperthreading for video and 3d stuff... should I get a 3.4C, an Athlon 64 3400+ or just wait.. and if so, wait for what?

For video work, I'd get a 3.0C when they drop then o/c the shit out of it. Keep your mind open about Prescott. That clock-for-clock difference can be made up, but you can't add the extra cache onto a Northwood.

Originally posted by paulmofyourhand
its early feb, the prices are still high?

:(

-paulm

UMMMM Feb 1 is still VERY EARLY FEB!! LOL

wait until Feb 15th before you complain. There is supposed to be a 2nd price cut in Feb.

i just checked it, it at least dropped $40, so i guess it can only be lower now, yay

$229 @ newegg.com

paulm

Originally posted by paulmofyourhand
i just checked it, it at least dropped $40, so i guess it can only be lower now, yay

$229 @ newegg.com

paulm

Its $223 @ newegg now :).

Gonna probably order me one tonight.

Looks like I will be sticking with my 3.2C until PCI-Express motherboards and the new P4 socket layout is available.

Back