2x6950 - Three monitors - What do I need

nameBrandon

Limp Gawd
Apologies for the simple question, but I've been Nvidia since the dawn of time..

I don't want eyefinity (one monitor is only 1680x1050, the other two are 1920x1080), and I've got three total monitors. I don't want to stretch games across multiple monitors, one monitor at a time is fine.

Right now they run fine (all 3 monitors) on a GTX670 (2 DVI + 1 HDMI). I'm moving the monitors over to a dual 6950 setup. I was thinking that as long as I didn't crossfire the two cards, and just used them as two, independent video cards, I could go DVI+HDMI on one card and DVI on the second card.

From my brief research it seems like this won't work? They may detect in some manner, but Windows won't extend the desktop across 3 monitors in this situation..?

I've ordered an active mini-displayport adapter (to DVI) to be safe, but I'd be very happy if I could return it..

What's the verdict here.. Do I really need this adapter when using two non-Xfire 6950's to simply extend the desktop across three monitors?

I have only one 6950 using the two DVI and one mini display port using the adapter and works fine ,I have 3 21.5 monitors , I have set up two different profiles , Normal ( 3 x 1680x1050) and Eyefinity ( 5040 x 1050 ) , You may be able to do two DVIs from one card and the HDMI from the other with out the need of crossfire , Try it... worst case sell me one 6950 and ill try it! LOL ;)

Yes, using the 2 cards when not in crossfire will work just fine. I use 3 monitors on one card, and a tv on the the second card many times. I'm using the current drivers as well.

All HD6950's have at least 4 outputs so you can plug all the monitors into 1 card if you keep the DisplayPort adapter.

Windows will work with all three monitors without any problems so long as you load the AMD drivers.

Thanks all! Sounds like I should hang on to the display port adapter, especially since I'm considering moving to 4 monitors after the new year (4x24" 1080.. mmm..)!

Back