2x4850 512mbs enough to game at 1920?

Stardusted

Limp Gawd
Are two 4850 512 enough to game fully at 1920 resolution or will the memory hold them back?

PS : Everything except crysis :p

I would wait a week for the new cards to come out-- only good can come of it.. you either get a newer gen card or the prices drop on 48xx cards

Yes, they are good enough for every game, including Crysis. I ran the entire game on 19x12 w/ 2x AA with settings on high and very high. They will handle anything, although I'd rather have a single 4890 or just wait a few weeks to see what the 5800 series will do.

I run 4850 crossfire at my native res of 1920x1200 in all the games I play and it runs great. As long as you don't have expectations of being able to use very high AA all of the time the memory shouldn't be a huge issue.

For 19x12 and higher resolutions, I usually reccomend users to get card with a larger frame buffer, especially when you start to enable AA filters.

Again, it also depends on what games you play, not all games will require the larger frame buffer to run smoothly.

Also, the price difference between 512MB and 1GB shouldn't be to large.

There's more than enough GPU power there for that resolution, but the 512MB of RAM and only 64GB/s of memory bandwidth will hold the set-up back at 1920x1200. Id' go for a single 4890 as well :).

If any of the ATI venders had a step up program then I would say go with a 4890. BUT they don't, so WAIT! Its like less than a month until the next gen comes out...

I never ever waited before, I used to just buy even if new cards would be out the next day... but this time I guess I'll play the waiting game.

Too bad I will replace either my 4850 or my GTX260 that way, I wish I had two of the same side so they could go in one of my rigs in crossfire/sli...

Oh well...

Get a 5850. It will likely outperform a pair of 4850s and cost about the same. :)

get a gtx 260 then step up later? I wouldn't do this but its a thought.. sometimes I want something right now too

Not true, I ran mine on an asus VH222H and had no issues with frame rates.A single card will game decently well at that res but two can definitely handle it.

As I mentioned earlier it all depends on the game title too.

My 4870 X2 mobility 512mb (= 4850 X2 desktop) handles everything I throw at it (FO3, FC2, The Witcher) at 1920x1080 highest settings with 4xaa. Only limitation I notice is with Crysis: I can play only about 1/2 at "enthusiast" with the rest at "gamer".

I would, however, suggest just getting a 4890 1gb for desktop.

Ive been gaming for a while now with just 1 4850 at 1920x1080.

The combo fairs better than you would think it can. A lot of that though is because all of the new super graphics games have horrible game play and I don't bother buying them. 39-50 bucks for a tech demo is too much for me.

Back