2x36gb raptors or 1 74gb raptor for gaming?

MapleSyrupMods

Bring on Titan X Volta
Which would be the best solution and I got out on a limb when i say this cause Im not sure if you can have this combo, but which one is faster and more suitable for my needs.

1 74! The newer drives are way better. The 36es are at most on a par with the Maxline III and similar drives.

As someone who runs 2 36s in RAID 0, I'd have to agree also. My case is cluttered, and I don't see much, if any, gain from RAID 0.

Aren't the 74 gig Raptors still barely at the top of the heap for single? Heck, honestly I have one and I'd rather have a newer 7200 drive with 4 times the capacity and a bigger cache. You will feel a performance increase, but its nothing earth shattering if you're comparing it to another halfway decent drive. Don't get me wrong, I love my raptor. But I had money to blow at the time and its definately not tops in tearms of bang for the buck. Just my .02

that would leave those drives somewhat unstable then if something on one drive wanted to crap out wouldnt it.

ATI9700Pro said:
that would leave those drives somewhat unstable then if something on one drive wanted to crap out wouldnt it.

no more so than the 2 36gb, but if your that worried about data loss raid 0 isnt for you.

Like everyone else, i just use my 74 raptor for the boot drive and a slower, high capacity drive for the storage....

Yeah, and the new Maxtor 300GB SATA II drives are very close in speed to the 74GB Raptors, and about the same price? Given the choice now, I'd go with 300GB storage. :p

One more reason why my C: partition is never larger than 10GB: :p

kamxam said:
Like everyone else, i just use my 74 raptor for the boot drive and a slower, high capacity drive for the storage....

I don't understand the benefit, can you explain it.

Why is it important to boot the computer fast? and game loading
on the slower second drive ?

What is wrong with having a slow boot drive but a fast game drive ?

:confused:

Most people wedge Windows and as many programs/games on to their Raptors as they can. They use their 7200RPM drives to hold stuff like movies, music, documents, and other data. Such files do not need to be retrieved with Raptor level speed, (and also tend to chew up space :)), so they are best stored on a 7200RPM drive.

Most users that talk of using a Raptor as a "boot" drive also generally have their most frequently accessed programs on it as well, kind of an assumption/generalization.

Well, after all, I do hope not many of those people have a 74GB Windows install ;)

Windows and most of my programs fit just fine on my 18.4GB SCSI drive.

is there some scores showing the 1x74 faster then 2x36 in raid-0 i would like to see this and im not try to start a flame war just wanna see thats all

Well it's not faster per se, the RAID 0 array should have a higher sustained data transfer rate, but in most desktop usage situations (dealing with many smaller-sized files), the seek times will be more important. RAID 0 can actually decrease the seek time performance over using a single drive, which is a bad thing for desktop performance. If you deal with large files (video editing, etc.) then the 2 36GB Raptors in RAID 0 should perform better. EnderW linked to an anandtech article, this page is probably most relevant: http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2101&p=10

I don't care about video editing performance or any of those synthetic benchmarks. I just get annoyed at waiting for levels to load when I'm gaming. :p

Yea, I think im going to go with the 74gb Raptor because my primary uses are gaming and working on my webpage.

I use a 74 for my boot drive, another 74 for my games and swap file... and an 80 GIG 7200 RPM for "stuff'
As you can see,I have more than enough room.....I keep all my archive stuff on file server in my closet :)

So yeah, get the 74..I had the 36's and wasnt that impressed....... RAID or no RAID..They just werent as fast as the 74's

boot.JPG

does the 74GB Raptor have NCQ? And if not, is there any gain going with a HDD that has it compared to the raptor?

The confusing part for me is.

*Raptor = expensive.
*People still recommend it for their gaming drive.
*Anandtech synthetic benchmarks says it's a top drive.
*Anandtech game loading benchmarks says it's ok as the Seagate beats it.

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2396&p=13

Should gamers judge drives based on sythetic or game benches
as we do in video cards ?

Back