2x24 vs 1x48 port switch

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Meeho, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Meeho

Meeho [H]ardness Supreme

Since Mikrotik's 48 port switch is still MIA, I'm considering either going with the 2x Mikrotik CRS328-24P-4S+RM, or with a single Ubiquiti ES-48-500W. What are the pros and cons of both approaches?

2. BlueLineSwinger

BlueLineSwinger Gawd

Top of my head:

Single 48: wiring and management simplicity, maybe a bit of power savings.

Dual 24s: redundancy/backup (assuming you wire things so each drop has a line leading from each switch).

Meeho likes this.
  3. Dead Parrot

Dead Parrot 2[H]4U

If up time is important, you can buy three 24 port switches( 2 in use, 1 spare) for less cost then two 48 port switches(1 in use, 1 spare).

Depending on your rack/closet setup, one of the choices may lead to an easier wiring setup.

Meeho likes this.
  4. GotNoRice

GotNoRice [H]ardForum Junkie

This would be pretty obvious, so likely something you've already considered, but I didn't see it mentioned.

If you go with two switches, how are you connecting them together? If you are using a 10GB link between the two switches, then you should be good to go (but will add to the price). If you are simply connecting the two together via a 1GB link, that could end up being a serious bottleneck.

Meeho likes this.
  5. Meeho

Meeho [H]ardness Supreme

Via SFP+ 10 Gbps. It would still be a bottleneck, but I would probably never max it.