2x16GB vs 4x8GB wich to choose?

Florin22xxl

Limp Gawd
Hi guys,
I am planing to upgrade my 16GB memory to 32GB.
Wich do you think would be the better option.
2 sticks - Vengeance Blue LED 32GB DDR4 3000MHz
4 sticks - Corsair Vengeance Blue LED 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

I am using Ryzen 7 1700 paired with Gigabyte gaming K5.At the moment i am using 2x8@3200 corsair lpx running at 2933 (3200 doesn't work even on the latest bios).
I am not expecting the ram to work at 3200,but would like to hear your opinions.
thanks!

It likely won't matter, but since Ryzen is only dual channel you won't be hurting yourself getting two 16GB chips.

Four chips of 8GB might put more strain on the memory controller, possibly requiring higher voltages to work at the speed that you desire.

Also, you'll want to buy a four RAM chip set, not two individual sets to two - manufacturer's make sure the set of four works together at the rated specs. If you do buy two sets of two, buy from a company that has a good return policy.

It's your call. Four LED lit RAM chips have more lighting than than two LED lit chips ;)

Last edited:
It likely won't matter, but since Ryzen is only dual channel you won't be hurting yourself getting two 16GB chips.

Four chips of 8GB might put more strain on the memory controller, possibly requiring higher voltages to work at the speed that you desire.

Also, you'll want to buy a four RAM chip set, not two individual sets to two - manufacturer's make sure the set of four works together at the rated specs. If you do buy two sets of two, buy from a company that has a good return policy.

It's your call. Four LED lit RAM chips have more lighting than than two LED lit chips ;)
Thanks for the imputs.The ram will be baught off the market so no return policy :D Ryzen has me worried tho! I don't care for the LED,i will be geting them cheaper off the market that is my motive for buying them,i usualy turn any RGB non sense in my PC.

i'd go with which ever is the cheaper option.. most have been able to get 4 sticks to 2933mhz since the 1.0.0.6 update and support will only get better with more updates. the question will be whether or not the k5 continues to get those updates though.

Ryzen has 2 memory channels so 2x 16 would be fine. If it was quad channel than 4x 8 would be a better plan.

2 DIMMs for sure, 2DPC puts extra stress on the memory controller and reduces your chances of getting high RAM overclocks.

I would seriously research if 4 slots would work for the gigabyte motherboards (meaning you get it working at the correct speed). Also some motherboards still struggle with dual rank dimm buying a 16gbx2 kit which is on the QVL list I would read up on the gigabyte or overclock.net forums if someone else got it working without spending days in "frustration" trying to configure it

Back