2x (two) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 1GB Video Cards $324 after MIR

nobody is going to agree with your logic at all. and your cpu WILL limit a gtx480 right from the get go at 1360x768. in more cpu intensive games you will give up 50% of what a gtx480 can do at that silly low resolution. I hate to be rude but what you are doing is extremely stupid. a 6850 will give you the same playable framerates at that low res and then in a couple of years you can upgrade to a better gpu if you want to. heck even the 6850 will not come close to being fully utilized in more cpu intensive games at just 1360x768 with your cpu. in 2 years or so even a $90 card will give you the same performance as a 6850 does now. my way is cheaper, uses less power, and gives you the same playable experience while allowing you to keep up with newer card features.

I do understand what your saying. You are talking to a guy that bought a 1200 watt psu for a gtx470 or gtx480 and a dual core processor. Logic doesn't really apply to people on this forum...especially when it comes to what you really "need" in terms of hardware for what you are doing. Realistically all you really need is a 5770 and you got a great gaming experience. I do not want to have to upgrade the gpu every refresh. If I can get a good deal on a gtx480, say $300ish or so, and it lasts me 5 years, that's great. Heck maybe it will fail on me, and the gtx480 will be EOL in four years, and they will have to replace it with a new gen equivalent card, lol.

But looking at reviews, at lower resolutions the GTX480 gets about a 60-80fps advantage at times over a 5870. I've noticed from reviews that the GTX480 actually does well at lower resolutions, and that ATI kind of does better at higher resolutions. I like lower resolutions because I get more fps and smoother framerates, usually it will stay above 60fps even in the most demanding of games. Plus to stress the gpu more, I can always just apply more AA/more eye candy.

"bulletproof" as in, less heat, last longer...plus the GTX480 and GTX470 run hot from what I hear. The cpu I'll just run on air...it's a dual core and I only plan on running it at 3.4-3.6 max.

yeah but then you are buying way (way way way) more gpu than you can utilize, then dropping another $150 or so to keep it cool... you could buy multiple video cards over the next few years, end up with something faster and more featured, and still save money over a water cooled 480 for your netbook resolution screen.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I do understand what your saying. You are talking to a guy that bought a 1200 watt psu for a gtx470 or gtx480 and a dual core processor. Logic doesn't really apply to people on this forum...especially when it comes to what you really "need" in terms of hardware for what you are doing. Realistically all you really need is a 5770 and you got a great gaming experience. I do not want to have to upgrade the gpu every refresh. If I can get a good deal on a gtx480, say $300ish or so, and it lasts me 5 years, that's great. Heck maybe it will fail on me, and the gtx480 will be EOL in four years, and they will have to replace it with a new gen equivalent card, lol.

But looking at reviews, at lower resolutions the GTX480 gets about a 60-80fps advantage at times over a 5870. I've noticed from reviews that the GTX480 actually does well at lower resolutions, and that ATI kind of does better at higher resolutions. I like lower resolutions because I get more fps and smoother framerates, usually it will stay above 60fps even in the most demanding of games. Plus to stress the gpu more, I can always just apply more AA/more eye candy.
again at just 1360x768 your cpu is NOT going to keep up with a gtx480 especially in more cpu intensive games. I only have a gtx260 and even with my E8500 at 3.8 I get the same playable performance in Far Cry 2, GTA 4, Dragon Age, Prototype, Bad Company 2 and other games at 1280 as I do at 1920. I wish you could realize how silly what you are wanting to do is. we have already pointed out that you could have multiple better cards over the next 4 years for less money than what you are trying to do. again you look just as foolish doing this now as someone did 4 years ago buying a 7900gtx to future proof at 800x600.

I understand your argument. But I don't want to upgrade for a while. I don't want to buy two more video cards down the road even if I could save $100 or so by doing so...and then I have to look at reviews, see which one is the good buy, etc. I just want to keep the same system for about 5 years or more. Anyways I'm spending $300ish on a gtx480. I'm sure the GTX580 will be 500ish so not going to bother waiting for that.

It's not like I'm buying three GTX480s and spending 3k on a system expecting it to be future proof. That to me would be more foolish. I will squeeze every ounce out of the dual core processor. My system after is all said and done will only be about $700 with a dual rad set up and waterblocks for both cpu and gpu. Already had the motherboard and ram which is why I stuck with lga775.

I figure in 5 years time the ps4 or xbox 720 will have arrived and then we'll really see some drastic improvements in tech. That would be a good time to upgrade. And, the upgrade will be a very noticeable improvement rather than a small incremental improvement we see from year to year.

what is so hard about changing a gpu? you are willing to watercool your gpu but getting a more appropriate gpu and then getting another one 2 years from now is too hard? and you are still forgetting what I said about your cpu. you will not be getting those numbers you see those sites getting at low resolutions in the first place. so bottom line is that you are being completely foolish here and all we are doing is trying to help you see that.

No I don't think my cpu will bottleneck a gtx480 when overclocked. I mean you seriously think I'll get the same fps as say a 5850 with a gtx480 at 1360x768. I wish I could bench a 5850 vs a gtx 480 at 1360x768 with my e8400 to see what you are saying. But right now I'm pretty set on the GTX 470 or GTX 480. Whichever has the most dramatic price drop in the next 3 months I'll probably snatch up. I hear what your saying, but this is all a matter of preference.

No I don't think my cpu will bottleneck a gtx480 when overclocked. I mean you seriously think I'll get the same fps as say a 5850 with a gtx480 at 1360x768. I wish I could bench a 5850 vs a gtx 480 at 1360x768 with my e8400 to see what you are saying. But right now I'm pretty set on the GTX 470 or GTX 480. Whichever has the most dramatic price drop in the next 3 months I'll probably snatch up. I hear what your saying, but this is all a matter of preference.
it doesn't matter what you think because I know for a fact that it will. again I have an E8500 oced to 3.8 and even with my gtx260 I can lower my res to 1280 and not get any better playable framerates in several games. a gtx480 is twice as fast so what do you think that means at just 1360x768? I have also tested a gtx470 in my system and at that lowly res you would bottleneck the crap out of most games especially more cpu intensive ones. again you have theories where I have actually tested this stuff. anyway I am just wasting my time with you so have fun with your gtx480 at just 1360x768.

I will just leave this here to give you an idea though. this is at 1680 with a 5870 so at 1360 with a gtx480 you would be giving up even more. you would literally not even get 50% of what a gtx480 can get at 1360x768 in a cpu intensive game like Dragon Age with your cpu. http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...rks-75-percent-boost-for-quad-cores/Practice/

Great deal on the GTX 460's, very tempting. Also, this entire discussion did not in any way, shape or form belong in this thread.

The thing I don't understand is, if we use your logic, why not just buy a big monitor?

Hot deal! Tough time to choose between HD6850 and GTX 460.

I think currently the zoatic version of this is selling for 280 after ar for 460sli

Back