2x RX 580 4GB - Dont know where to ask this.

Silvers24

Gawd
I really apologize, I been out of the PC build for a while.
Recently, i've acquired two Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580 4GB.
Well, I have a general idea where one can stack up with the nvidia cards (1060?)

Either way, my issue is this. I need to know how I should mix and match these two cards with my two current PC builds.

First Build: Old as F*.
FX 8320 (Dont think OC'd atm....been a while since i've hooked it up) 16GB of Corsair Vengeance (RBG) DDR3, 750 PSU, Sabertooth 990FX (I think) rev. 2.0 or 3.0 and a GTX 950 (was a 580).
All of this in a CM Storm Stryker Case.
Second Build.

SilverStone SUGO 2 Case.
Some sorta decent microcenter AM4 Motherboard.
Ryzen 5 1400 CPU.
*think* 500 Watt PSU.
8 GB DDR4 (2x4), decent speeds..say 2400 I think.
AND a GTX 1030. This build I am using right now.

(BOTH builds have SSD for main/boot)

So how should I mix & Match. Crossfire with FX 8350? (Bottleneck incoming?)
Single 580 + 950 for nvidia physics and stuff?

Replace 1030 for RX 580 (It should fit) and 580+950 in Main build?
Take guts out of Sugo 2, buy better mobo, maybe more DDr4, and Crossfire 580's with Ryzen 5 1400?
To many options. Wish to keep simple, and no other expenses.

My First AMD GFX cards, AMD builds I am use to, before all this was just intel and nvidia, then it became AMD and nvidia.
Now I am in this situation. SORRY for long ass post and it being in the wrong section (prolly)

As for gaming, light....Mainly videos and streaming. Games are Billzard titles ATM, with some Steam games. And nothing recent.

Why do you need the 580 and 950 in the main build together?

I'd put one 580 in each and call it a day. The 580 is still far more powerful than both the 1030 and 950. 950 is not required at all if you're replacing it as the main card.

Xfire isn't worth it IMO, so one each, sell the 1030/950 and make a few bucks.

Thank you for asking that question. I did mention WHY in my OG post.
However, since things have evolved since then, I am assuming by now, just like xfire, that it is things of the past.
I remember when people would use a stronger Nvidia Card and have a weaker one for Nvidia Physics, and then those who used AMD still have a Nvidia card for the "physics" part of the feature.
Basically a GFX card to handle other crap, I think this was a feature started with Crysis?
If it is irrelevant now, then excuse my dumbassness. :) And I shall do as said.

yeah physx cards are pretty much irrelevant now. I don't hear of anyone serious into games that really runs them anymore. Maybe a case here and there, but I don't really consider them necessary, at least for the games I've played.

If it were me, I'd upgrade the ryzen ram to something much better. What motherboard is in the ryzen build again? What chipset? Does it support higher memory speeds. I still run intel, but can't wait for next gen AMD and I think I can finally jump ship back. Anyway, if you can run faster memory and 2x8gb modules of say 3200mhz or so, I'd do that. I'd put one of the 580's in the rig and call it good. Any other $ I'd throw at it would be in a cpu upgrade to possibly a 2600/2600X if you wanted to splurge. But again, alot depends on the motherboard and how much it can support. If it's a budget chipset and cannot support higher ram speeds, or better cpu upgrades etc.... Then it's all a moot point. The other gpu u could sell to put towards main rig. It seems u don't need 2 computers as it is, if you haven't booted the FX system in awhile.

I agree with the 580s replacing the 1030/950 and calling it a day.

If you KNOW you'd need the NV GPU for physx, then keep them in the systems. Otherwise, pull it out as well and sell them/keep them for another build.

I don't game so much anymore, but you should check as to which of your games still use physx if ever... I do vaguely remember an old article maybe not from the [H] that showed that that older / weaker GPUs are quite bad for physx...

I looked it up, in my Sugo/Ryzen 5 1400 buld I got Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB 2 x 4GB DDR4-2400
And a ASUS Prime A320M-K AM4

I really cant remember any games I played that did.
TBH That is really good news for me, I have some fam. members who live further under the rock then I do, they got the builds but crap GPUS. I may just upgrade their GFX with my nvvidias for xmas and call that a day.
As long as my FX 8320 Build and Ryzen 5 1400 dont suck with a single rx 580 in each, I feel like a king who isn't fallen to far behind.
I would like to eventually upgrade my Ryzen 5 build, but I dont wish to because for that build, it was not meant to be a power house.

My FX 8320, could use it, but it has served me well and still seems to serve very well. So I am excited to see the performance with a 580 in it.

I havent booted my FX system in a while due to many MOVES and my current move had less then satisfactory electrical needs. (Two prong sockets). But things have changed, to where I can bring it back out.

I'm pretty sure the Ryzen 1400 is a fair bit more powerful than the 8320. And more power efficient to boot. I'd be focusing on that machine personally.

Ya PhysX basically doesn't exist anymore and most modern cards are fast enough to handle any type of processing like that if there is any regardless.

I just pulled the 2200g and dropped the 1400 in and so far 2933Mhz at CL 16 is 24/7 is stable but 3200Mhz is not on 3200Mhz ram which first Gen only supports 2133Mhz which was baked in but it did added 1.5+% performance in Fire Strike just moving from 2933 to 3200 on Ryzen Master if you do testing. so I also pulled the Black Friday RX570 and dropped the $199 RX 580 in for a stock Fire Strike score for you to look at and my board cost like $60 but has 370x chipset with better audio as a tick of CX surpport.

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/17393194/fs/17375766#

Last edited:
If you like that I started work on my cpu overclock tonight as I know it's hit 3.9 before on a MSI board .. I am working the overclock with memory at 2933 CL 16 as it at 3.87 on that run as never had faster memory to play with before ..

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/17406397

I really would like to overclock my 1400, i just put the RX 580 into my rig last night.
I dont know sh.. about amd gfx card but i am thoroughly blown away at the HUGE performance i have gotten.

The onlything i can do to make this better is get another 8gb stick, as it turns out i onky have 1 stick in the machine, so its not dual channel.

I wont overclock, because i cant. I am using a wraith cooler and its in a sugo 2 case. Small pc build. Unless youre saying i can and ill be safe temps wise.

Now i cant wait to see what my fx8320 can do with an rx580...

I really would like to overclock my 1400, i just put the RX 580 into my rig last night.
I dont know sh.. about amd gfx card but i am thoroughly blown away at the HUGE performance i have gotten.

The onlything i can do to make this better is get another 8gb stick, as it turns out i onky have 1 stick in the machine, so its not dual channel.

I wont overclock, because i cant. I am using a wraith cooler and its in a sugo 2 case. Small pc build. Unless youre saying i can and ill be safe temps wise.

Now i cant wait to see what my fx8320 can do with an rx580...

You could likely get a mild OC using the stock cooler, but it'd probably not be worth it IMO. Your build is pretty balanced as it is now. As I said I'm still pretty certain your 1400 is better than your 8320.. - https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_5_1400_review,9.html They have the higher clocked 8370 in these charts and the 1400 handily wins, and in basically all further tests onwards. Remember Ryzen replaces FX, and is far superior in every way. Especially considering the 8xxx series of FX was 'top of the line' and the 1400 is definitely considered entry to mid level.

Thank you for asking that question. I did mention WHY in my OG post.
However, since things have evolved since then, I am assuming by now, just like xfire, that it is things of the past.
I remember when people would use a stronger Nvidia Card and have a weaker one for Nvidia Physics, and then those who used AMD still have a Nvidia card for the "physics" part of the feature.
Basically a GFX card to handle other crap, I think this was a feature started with Crysis?
If it is irrelevant now, then excuse my dumbassness. :) And I shall do as said.

I gave a buddy 2x580s and he split them up in two rigs. Xfire isn't that great in most titles.

I am back with only a test set up running a RX580 8Gb and a RX570 4Gb as both total different clocks and board has 4x for 2nd card but the boost is very nice as the board seems bandwidth capped in the PCI Express area . I never knew if a RX 570 and 580 could Crossfire together so the answer is yes they can,

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/17463222

as this cpu can do 4Ghz but I find it's very happy at 3.85

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/17452288

Last edited:
Back