2x R9 270 Mining Rig Water Cooling GPUs

ClockerXP

Gawd
Hi-

I've never done water cooling before. I have a mining rig currently running that'll be going into a Coolermaster HAF XB EVO case.

I'm considering water cooling the two video cards. Do you guys have suggestions for a first timer? I'm thinking a closed loop solution will be best for me.

Thanks,
ClockerXP

Case: Coolermaster HAF XB EVO

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P

Video Cards:
1.) Asus R9 270X
2.) Asus R9 270 (non-X)

Actually while I don't disagree completely with schizrade I do at least have an option for you to look into. Originally dwood made brackets which have since been sold out. NZXT started making basically the exact same bracket towards the end of the year. You should be able to order one and receive it some time later this month of early February which allows you to cool your GPU with a CPU AIO (closed loop) cooler. Now my suggestion to you since I'm a Nvidia owner is to check out what you need to do to use one on your AMD cards since they are compatible (with a shim if my memory serves me right). Also this is much cheaper than setting up a custom loop and that case does have room for 2x 120mm fans so mounting shouldn't be a huge issue.

I know personally I am going this way until I can save up enough money to go with a custom water cooling solution. Let me know if you have any questions since I should be getting mine anytime now and I was going to try to install it on an older AMD card just for kicks. Also can you link your exact cards?

Actually while I don't disagree completely with schizrade I do at least have an option for you to look into. Originally dwood made brackets which have since been sold out. NZXT started making basically the exact same bracket towards the end of the year. You should be able to order one and receive it some time later this month of early February which allows you to cool your GPU with a CPU AIO (closed loop) cooler. Now my suggestion to you since I'm a Nvidia owner is to check out what you need to do to use one on your AMD cards since they are compatible (with a shim if my memory serves me right). Also this is much cheaper than setting up a custom loop and that case does have room for 2x 120mm fans so mounting shouldn't be a huge issue.

I know personally I am going this way until I can save up enough money to go with a custom water cooling solution. Let me know if you have any questions since I should be getting mine anytime now and I was going to try to install it on an older AMD card just for kicks. Also can you link your exact cards?

Problem is, there are very few places to put a rad in this case.

Thanks....Here are my cards:

270 (non-X): https://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/R9270XDC2T2GD5/

270X (physically a bit larger): https://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/R9270XDC2T2GD5/

Problem is, there are very few places to put a rad in this case.

I know, I conceded that first sentence ;). To further agree if you haven't already purchased the case can we have that discussion and pick a case to better suit what you want to do? Also are you comfortable putting shims in to raise the contact for the AIO water coolers for the cards you have?

Case is already enroute. I did see a lot of guys at Overlclockers.net using this case with water cooling so I know it is possible. But maybe those are more custom jobs. I'll ask around there but when I asked about cooling 3GPUs in this case they suggested a custom cooling loop and I am not interested in going the custom loop route.

Anyway, would I need one 120mm rad. per GPU, do you think? If I could water cool just one card to help evacuate the heat I would give it a try just to get some exposure to water cooling.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I can get away with just air cooling here but I have some Amazon money to spend and was interested in trying something new.

Thanks,
CxP

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat in a sense, drop $700+ for a full custom loop or just spend ~$100 or less to get something in the middle. They don't sell the G10 on amazon but I did just buy a corsair h55 for less than $50 on Amazon although I think it went up a few dollars. Last week that was the cheapest AIO that would work with the NZXT solution I mentioned. I would check to see the clearance since I'm not sure if you could fit 2 120mm AIO side by side with that case. Again I'm not super familiar with that case in particular although I do remember trying to figure out if it could house a XL-ATX mobo.

With that case you may need to modify it heavily to get it to fit what you want since it appears with a quick search to be what most people do with those cases. Some of the mods look amazing and to be quite honest even my cosmos 2 isn't set up for water cooling. I'd like to see what this looks like anyways since it's an awesome idea for a litecoining rig!

It's not worth watercooling those video cards IMO. I had a 270 mining around 210KHs and the temp never exceeded 70.

It's not worth watercooling those video cards IMO. I had a 270 mining around 210KHs and the temp never exceeded 70.

No wonder...the card is capable of 485 Kh/s. Are you underclocking it? Were you running two side by side inside a closed case like I'll be doing?

No wonder...the card is capable of 485 Kh/s. Are you underclocking it? Were you running two side by side inside a closed case like I'll be doing?

My bad I meant around 410KHs. I had an HIS 270X IceQ and an HIS 270 Iceq on a P8Z68-V in a Corsair C70 and had no heat issues.

Good to know. I'm not sure if I'll be having any heat issues but was interested in giving a simple water cooler a try nonetheless.

the rule of thumb is 120mm rad per device so yes 2-120mm rads (or two h55's / h60's ) or w/e brand you need.

Make sure you cool your VRM's and the memory with heatsinks or something

theres also a universal GPU waterblock that constantly gets on sale on newegg same people that make the acellero .

I heard its a pain to install tho.

I have two of those famouse dwood brackets somewhere in my clsoed and im curretnly in custom loop, the difference can be notice just saying.

if you are willing to buy used parts i would say go custom loop and also cool your cpu

Hey ClockerXP, I have the same setup for mining Dogecoin and I am seriously considering water cooling it just to cut down on the noise. Did you finish this loop? Did you have any issue with VRM temps?

Back