2x AP`s with same SSID, channel, passphrase etc, Possible??

BigBadAl

Limp Gawd
Ok, here`s what I have...

Upstairs is my WRT54G with DDWRT, works great. Downstairs signal is ok in most places, just a few areas where it gets a bit flaky, no biggie really.

I`m wondering if I could use an old Belkin access point I have lying around set up to EXACTLY THE SAME SSID, channel, passphrase and other settings on it?

Would there be any conflicts? Assuming that if there wasn`t any, would any wireless devices automatically flick between access points without any human intervention?

Just a thought....

give it a try. some have said that is how you configure multiple APs to work together. I have my doubts though.

Same SSID, same security, but you want different channels...that aren't next to each other. Like..make 1 channel 1 and the other channel 11.

I would try it, I think the wireless driver would determine which ap would be the best to use.

I agree with YeOldStonecat. You can't associate with both, so you would need to be on separate channels. It would be a huge wireless frequency clusterfsck otherwise. You don't want to have so much interference on the same frequency if you're not associated with that AP.

It "should" work. Roaming between AP's that are different vendors are always going to be 50/50 chance. Roaming really isn't a standardized protocol and each vendor implements it in different ways. It be worth the shot, just make sure they are on different channels.

Roaming between two home grade APs will be flat out impossible.
You will however, be able to fire up a laptop at either coverage and hit the 'net. If you "walk" from an area that one AP covers, and into an area that the next AP covers...you laptop will hold onto the first AP til it cannot hold that signal any more...and then rather quickly change and automatically reassociate with the second AP. If you're just surfing the web or something..you won't really notice it. If you're doing some that's very session based, you'll experience a brief hiccup depending on that application. This experience also varies based on which wireless chipset you're using, which software, etc...as they all vary. But you will not experience true seamless roaming...you won't get that with home grade gear that's not centrally managed. For 99.9% of home users, this isn't an issue though.

Couldn't you use the Belkin as the WAP and the DD-WRT device as a repeater?

i did this for my install, the setup worked great with 3 access points in the house.

You want NON-overlapping channels. If you're going to link an article, at least read it first.

You are correct, it was a typo. Obviously I knew what I was talking about since I linked the article so why would I need to read it.

OK, Update.

I set the other access point (Belkin) up with the same everything but different channel.

It works but randomly just drops out every now and then with only a disconnect and connect to listed acess point restoring connection.

Just for the hell of it, I put them both on the same channel and al the drop outs were gone but if I unplugged one AP (WRT54G), it wouldn`t automatically switch to the other (Belkin)despite it being the same channel, SSID and Passphrase. Likewise once i switched the WRT54G back on it wouldn`t switch back to it from the Belkin one I`ve just been playing with.

So, the long and short of it is, it will work but not without intervention from me, so if I was away and for whatever reason there was a problem, the good lady wife would struggle to get it back online.

Ah well, such is life:rolleyes:

Back