2x 4tb HGST NAS $289

what exactly is a NAS drive? Is it closer to a desktop drive or an enterprise drive?

what exactly is a NAS drive? Is it closer to a desktop drive or an enterprise drive?

NAS drives are designed to work properly in a NAS box or RAID. Standard desktop drives try really hard to recover data on a bad sector before giving up, this causes issues with RAID it can end up marking the entire drive bad. Drivrd designated for NAS give up after a much shorter time,

I have used NAS drives as desktop drives many times with no issues, nut I am sure someone will chime in with what a bad idea that is.

These drives are fast enough for most things and reliable. I mainly use them in my unRaid box. I would not choose these as a boot drive, but they are fine as a secondary data drive

With hardware RAID that is. "Intelligent" RAID like ZFS that work at the filesystem level are more accepting to normal hard drives. That being said I used regular drives on a Dell hardware RAID card and even had drives go bad and never had an issue with timeouts and drives dropping.

7200 RPM drives too, so probably just fine for desktop use. Probably over kill for most peoples RAID needs.

I'll probably pick these up for my desktop, I had 2 3tb seagates fail and I'm running low on storage. Seems like these have decent reviews.

Back