2x 4k monitors --- 2x980ti vs 1080

cokewithvanilla

Weaksauce
Hello. I finally decided on my monitor setup (2x Samsung 40 inch MU6300) and i need some GPU advice. I will probably wait 2 weeks to see if vega is released, but if not, I am definitely going nvdia.

2 980ti's can be purchased in the used market for the same or less than one 1080. In synthetic benchmarks (passmark), the 980ti scores extremely similar to the 1080. In some examples, you see the 1080 beating out the 980ti significantly in DX12 applications

anyway, I would be running this mainly for day trading, but I probably would also run a second boot and maybe play some games, but on just ONE of the screens. otherwise, I will be dividing up the 2 screens into 8 1920x1080 monitor slices.

the build so far seems to be i7-7700k, samsung 960 evo, ASRock Z270M Pro4 (or possibly ROG STRIX 270G), 32gb coarsair vengence, 1000watt corsair cpu, corsair carbide 240, corsair 100i v2

my only concern about getting 980's is the spotty info I am seeing on 4:4:4 4K@60Hz. ... from what i can tell, it can do it over DP but not HDMI, so for the tvs i will need an adapter. Other issues is I do not know about color depth, and having had 2x980's (not ti) before, I know SLI has its issues... but that would not affect me unless in gaming. 2x1080's or 1080ti's are out of the question. around $500 is all i want to put into the video side of this computer.

Unless you have a specific need, getting 1 card is preferable. The 1080 should be fine, though you may want to at least see what Vega is like if you're not in a huge rush.

One thing, playing games at 4K is super intensive, even for a 1080. The 1080 Ti would be better if you want to get into newer games at full 4K resolution, especially since running at 1080p on a 4K screen actually in some ways looks worse than on a 1080p native display. I mean, you can do it and it's not horrible, but it's also not the best after seeing how good 4K native looks.

If the Ti is too much money, you can still hang with a normal 1080 but on newer games you'll likely have to go to Medium to High settings to get smooth 4K performance. Or you can see if Vega changes the situation at all, in terms or price or performance, though who knows?

let me just throw this out there. part of my consideration was that two 980tis can run 8 monitors. It would not be beyond me to change to a 8 monitor 1440p setup or something to that effect. Another reason I mentioned vega, as its likely to support 6. 4 is pretty weak for modern times.

Also, would it be better to run each monitor on a separate card in a low demand applications (thinkorswim, windows, ect)?

edit: oh, and this isnt just about saving to get something better... i can stack 4 1080ti's if I really wanted to. I am looking atg price/performance/stability. This system is an investment and therefore I want to get the most power per dollar, as well as keeping resale value up, and having rock solid stability for trading (nothing like losing 10k when the power goes out when you forget your stop loss). Gaming is absolutely secondary, and may not even ever happen. I just want the ability to be there.

Last edited:
If you are going to play games get a 1080ti. If you went with 8 more monitors, get the 1080ti, and extra cheap cards to run the others.

my only concern about getting 980's is the spotty info I am seeing on 4:4:4 4K@60Hz. ... from what i can tell, it can do it over DP but not HDMI, so for the tvs i will need an adapter. Other issues is I do not know about color depth, and having had 2x980's (not ti) before, I know SLI has its issues... but that would not affect me unless in gaming. 2x1080's or 1080ti's are out of the question. around $500 is all i want to put into the video side of this computer.

980 Ti does 4:4:4 4K @ 60 Hz just fine over HDMI. I don't know if it would handle two displays like that and I think every 980 Ti has only one HDMI output so you would need an active adapter and no guarantees how that is going to work out. With 980 Ti you will be dropping details and sticking with 4K @ 30 fps for many games.

If you plan to play any new games, just buy a 1080 Ti. There are even models with two HDMI 2.0 ports.

What do you plan to do with two large TVs as monitors anyway?

I did not know about that with the 980ti. I would plan to have two, so one for each monitor. Setup will be used for 90% daytrading/reseach, a possible 10% on another boot drive as an HTPC//Gaming rig

im kind of a fan of multipurpose. I needed a 4x4, so i bought a truck, used the bed maybe twice. same concept.

Back