2x 3080 LHR 10gb on 1000 watts 70% power

Epyon

[H]ard|Gawd
If I am doing rendering with red shift or octane and set the power limit to 70% for both cards do you think a 1000 watt could do it? Falcon Northwest said I should upgrade to a 1200 W but I lose the Ability to add in 2X 20 TB hard drives later on down the road … i I think I can pick up a 1200 W small form factor down the road as well not sure how high can go with small foam factor power supplies

If I am doing rendering with red shift or octane and set the power limit to 70% for both cards do you think a 1000 watt could do it? Falcon Northwest said I should upgrade to a 1200 W but I lose the Ability to add in 2X 20 TB hard drives later on down the road … i I think I can pick up a 1200 W small form factor down the road as well not sure how high can go with small foam factor power supplies

Which 3080 cards are you using? Which CPU as well? The FE has a 320W power limit @ 100%, so depending on the rest of your rig, 100% should be fine on both of the 3080s.

They're full of shit. 1KW can easily do 2 70% 3080s. You will probably draw around ~550W for those 2 cards.

Rendering, multiple GPU, wanting internal full size harddrive well installed, they do not have bigger case ?

Has for the question:
https://techgage.com/article/how-does-dual-gpu-rendering-scale-with-nvidias-rtx-3080-your-old-gpu/
Nonetheless, it’s immediately obvious that if you pair up two GPUs in your rig, you are going to want a beefy power supply. When combining the RTX 3080 with RTX 2060, the peak wattage hovers around 500W, which is pretty modest, all things considered. At the top-end, an RTX 3080 combined with 3090 will peak the rig at around 720W. We’d assume dual RTX 3080 would be 700W, which means you’d want at least an 800W PSU as the bare minimum.

It seem that a good (and everything coming out of Northwest I imagine is good and above) 1000W should be able to work, specially underpowered card. Maybe the power curve is more interesting on their 1200 watt model for the bulk of your usage, but I would imagine that outside a very long life and a very high kwh price that it is not worth it thinking about that too much for just one machine.

2x Evga XC3 geforce rtx 3080 10GB LHR.
Z690 Hero Wifi

The redshift team said that adding the second card is not a 50% drop in render time but very close at like a 42% drop vs just one video card and that there are parts of the card that are not used which is why it is not a direct 50%. I will be trying to under volt the cpu ( i have never done that) This build is about power savings. If you go from 100% to 70% on video card number 1 you add just 1 second to render times. So i am wondering just how low i can go on card number 2.

In any case I do know they make a 1200 watt SFX or SFX-L i can switch out. I for get the brand. I can either drop that in later and have the cables re cut from cable mod or use the same ones if i get the ok from the makers. I know people were telling me even if its the same brand do not use the cables from the old power supply with a new one so we will see

Edit
Asus Loki SFX-L power supply.

Looks like i would have to have custom cables re done any ways if it really came down to it. The case I am looking at is the Talon case. That case is clean as fuck. I have looked all over the internet and i hate every fucking case lol. The cases i do like are itx only or water cooling and i prefer not to go down that road as i work offshore to much.

2x Evga XC3 geforce rtx 3080 10GB LHR.
Z690 Hero Wifi

The redshift team said that adding the second card is not a 50% drop in render time but very close at like a 42% drop vs just one video card and that there are parts of the card that are not used which is why it is not a direct 50%. I will be trying to under volt the cpu ( i have never done that) This build is about power savings. If you go from 100% to 70% on video card number 1 you add just 1 second to render times. So i am wondering just how low i can go on card number 2.

In any case I do know they make a 1200 watt SFX or SFX-L i can switch out. I for get the brand. I can either drop that in later and have the cables re cut from cable mod or use the same ones if i get the ok from the makers. I know people were telling me even if its the same brand do not use the cables from the old power supply with a new one so we will see

Edit
Asus Loki SFX-L power supply.

Looks like i would have to have custom cables re done any ways if it really came down to it. The case I am looking at is the Talon case. That case is clean as fuck. I have looked all over the internet and i hate every fucking case lol. The cases i do like are itx only or water cooling and i prefer not to go down that road as i work offshore to much.
HMM With that CPU you may be cutting it close at 100% power, 70% would leave a lot of buffer.

The XC3 Ultra has a 340W stock power limit
The XC3 Black is 320W
If you use 100% you are looking at 640-680w of power on GPU alone, leaving you with about 300W for the cpu . Which is roughly what it takes during a stress test.

For rendering you're looking at closer to 200w. So theoretically, you can run the GPUs at 100% and run the cpu @ stock within the 1000w power envelope. dropping the GPUs 10% may give you enough buffer as well, 70% is probably too much

Gpu. Are 70%. Nothing to be gained if they run at 100% or above when rendering.. I know the cpu is used some for the final render but I don’t think it pegs it 100% all the way through the render

IF you are really mostly using it for GPU rendering like octane

1) Cpu would not be used a lot at the same time has the GPU I imagine
2) speed clock and pci lane could be more important than cores, 12900k could be a bit of a waste

That between a 4 core and a 18 core Xeon:
pic_disp.jpg

You know all of this more than me too and I could sound stupid right now and I imagine you already thought about giving less watt/money to a smaller CPU to give more to the GPUs (or more GPUs) or the computer will potentially do something else one day.

Gpu. Are 70%. Nothing to be gained if they run at 100% or above when rendering.. I know the cpu is used some for the final render but I don’t think it pegs it 100% all the way through the render
If nothing is gained, then even if you set it at 100%, it will only use 70%

If nothing is gained, then even if you set it at 100%, it will only use 70%
No I think there’s more to it than that everybody that I have talked to does set the limit to 70% I believe something else is going on that the GPU does to create watts and heat for no reason. I have never done it my self as I have a shitty 2080 and just gave up. These last 2 years.

If I had to guess I would think that the GPU is boosting 100% but you’re only gaining at the end of the render one or two seconds less render time then if you set a power limit to 70% I’m not really sure how to explain it because I’m not familiar with it or why every professional is doing that but they are

The 12900k is used for Simulations in Houdini before I render out so it is nice to have a high-end CPU for things like that

Viper x you do gain less time but only 1-2 seconds so I guess they set a hard power limit because all the extra boosting does is cut down the frame render time by 1-2 seconds ands it’s not worth the power or heat

The 1000w PSU would be fine, especially if they're limited down to 270-300w or so. But agreed, it's going to be a furnace in that case. The top card is going to run very hot. The 3080 XC3's run warm in stock form, with just one card (source: I have one in my gaming rig).

This guy is running that exact setup actually (dual XC3's and a 1000w psu). Note how the upper card runs ~20C warmer than the lower

https://www.reddit.com/r/MachineLea...al_rtx_3080_workstation_build_cooling_issues/

Thanks after reading that post I did what you guys said and choose the 1000 watt. And after reading this
https://redshift.maxon.net/topic/12303/benchmark-results/95

I can drop power down even more and not lose much if I needed too

ran the RS benchmark a couple of times, the MSI Afterburner milestone settings are:

Power Limit (%) set to 55% = Time: 00h:06m:55s (worst run) / Time: 00h:06m:48s (best run)
Power Limit (%) set to 75% = Time: 00h:06m:51s (just saved one run, worth doing a few more)
Power Limit (%) set to 100% = Time: 00h:06m:43s (worst run) / Time: 00h:06m:37s (best run)

System ordered with 2x 3080 and guys I just could not fucking wait any longer. Yes I know 4xxx 4 months away before they announce how many more before they sale and you know how many more months before i can buy them at micro center. Fuck all that I have waited 2 years already. Just not worth it. I have a shit 2080 so my render times are about to drop into the ground when this beast gets here.

Thanks after reading that post I did what you guys said and choose the 1000 watt. And after reading this

ran the RS benchmark a couple of times, the MSI Afterburner milestone settings are:

Power Limit (%) set to 55% = Time: 00h:06m:55s (worst run) / Time: 00h:06m:48s (best run)
Power Limit (%) set to 75% = Time: 00h:06m:51s (just saved one run, worth doing a few more)
Power Limit (%) set to 100% = Time: 00h:06m:43s (worst run) / Time: 00h:06m:37s (best run)

System ordered with 2x 3080 and guys I just could not fucking wait any longer. Yes I know 4xxx 4 months away before they announce how many more before they sale and you know how many more months before i can buy them at micro center. Fuck all that I have waited 2 years already. Just not worth it. I have a shit 2080 so my render times are about to drop into the ground when this beast gets here.
can anyone download the benchmark? I wonder how it will perform on the 3090ti

yes you can download it. It would just be water marked that is all. Its built into the redshift installer not sure if you need a supported 3d pkg tho first like houdini/3ds max/c4d ect.

Whatever man you gotta do what you gotta do. Plus who's to say we won't have the same thing happen with the 40xx series and be waiting forever to buy one of them.

The War/supply/crypto/covid lock downs in china/talks of a recession I just have had enough with all of it to be honest

Back