2x 295x2 on a Seasonic X-1250 1250W 80Plus Gold

Ducman69

[H]F Junkie
Pretty standard system, 4790K overclocked, four sticks of ram, SSD, four hard drives, and currently a 295x2 powered by a Seasonic X-1250.

http://www.seasonicusa.com/NEW_X-series_1050-1250.htm

Does anyone know if this can support two 295x2's?

X_1050-1250_05.jpg

X_1050-1250_06.jpg

17624_32157.jpg

Each card IIRC needs 50amps on two up to 28amp 8-pins, and both would take about 1000 watt in theory. I know one works fine even though technically my PSU is rated for 25amps on each 8-pin... if its not getting enough power, I certainly haven't been able to notice any performance issues from it.

I see their recommendations are all 1500 watt PSUs: http://www.amd.com/Documents/Select...for-the-AMD-Radeon-R9-295X2-Graphics-Card.pdf

Thoughts?

Reason I ask is there is a killer deal on a Saphire 295x2 for only $550, but otherwise I might go hybrid crossfire and add a single air-cooled Tri-X 290x.

Last edited:
It's plenty. That's an extremely high quality CPU.

Edit: Or not, see above. Thought you meant to use just one 295x2.

Dangit, yeah I don't feel like doing dual PSU, so trifire it is! Thanks!

I think that should get me under the limit for sure.

I ran Quadfire for a while, I didn't get much return with the 4th GPU. I went back to my trifire setup...better results.

I ran Quadfire for a while, I didn't get much return with the 4th GPU. I went back to my trifire setup...better results.
That's promising. I'm on the lookout for a good deal on a Saphire Tri-X or even better Vapor-X 290x 4GB, not to OC, but just to ensure the thing runs cool and silent. Thanks to y'all, got my gameplan down now. :)

I had to upgrade my previous 1300w Antec HCP Platinum to my current 1500w Corsair AX1500i Titanium to get rid of abrupt shutoff issues during max load.

It may not be entirely necessary depending on the rest of your setup, but I felt it was with my rig requirements. You could also just do dual PSU if your computer case supports it. If you're headed that direction, I think the 1300w Antec HCP is still the best PSU for the job.

I think the only psu that can safely run 2 x 295x2's is the corsair ax1500i. (Speaking from experience). 1200~ would be where you want to be for 1.

Man is that PSU expensive! And I have a old-school Antec P280 case, which I don't think there's even an easy place to mount another PSU that was less 'spensive except perhaps in the optical bay drives on the top since I am not using one:
71CqV6YCBiL._SL1200_.jpg

But even then, I'm not sure what the cheapest supplemental PSU for a 295x2 would be... hmmm. So, dreams shattered! ;) I'm sure we'll see some awesome deals on 290x's as well, but a sub-$500 watercooled 290x2 is pretty damn awesome.

You're going to do it anyways cause I hear the upgrade monkey in your post, but I would highly advise against going quad-fire.

A cheaper alternative is the 1600w EVGA SuperNova G2, which is pretty much just as good. Well that and it would've been kinda weird to power a Quadfire AMD setup with an EVGA PSU (I guess I'm a little anti-NVIDIA these days).

I almost went with the 1600w EVGA myself, but Corsair PSUs have done me so well over the years there was no reason to skimp. Likewise, I would've bought another Antec in a heartbeat if they offered something beefier than 1300w.

This time next year he be sporting 400 series cards
And freeze to death in the winter? No thanks! Besides, I have a really nice hotdog rotisserie setup behind my radiators, and it'd be a pain to redesign that.

You need a 1500W to run 2x R9/295x2'a in CrossfireX. Be advised, your setup will consume lots of energy!!! i know, I run the a sim setup.

Back