2TB WD Green HDD $80 at best buy

"We're sorry, this item is no longer available"

:mad:

F!@#$*#% :mad: :mad: :mad:

Looks like the demandy is way way more than the supply!

Damn, I have 3 rigs I was planning to build in the next few months, now I'm probably going to postpone all of them because of hard drive prices. I wish I would have jumped on this deal sooner.

Supposedly we aren't going to see a price drop for a few more months. They better get production started long before ivy bridge comes out or I'm gonna be pissed :mad: So your facilities were flooded in a horrible natural disaster, big deal. I want unreasonably low priced high capacity hard drives and I want them now dammit!

Managed to pick up 2 today and it seems they still had some in stock, guess I just happen to be in an area of lesser demand.

Damn, I have 3 rigs I was planning to build in the next few months, now I'm probably going to postpone all of them because of hard drive prices. I wish I would have jumped on this deal sooner.

Supposedly we aren't going to see a price drop for a few more months. They better get production started long before ivy bridge comes out or I'm gonna be pissed :mad: So your facilities were flooded in a horrible natural disaster, big deal. I want unreasonably low priced high capacity hard drives and I want them now dammit!

I waited a little to think about jumping on the Seagate 2TB deal.... next day it was a limit of 1 instead of two.... I got what I could then it ran out of stock.....I thought for a few mins about this one and decided if I didn't jump right away I wouldn't have a chance later.

I'm thinking about setting up a Raid 5 setup and I got lucky enough to get the drives to do it.

Also I need some for future builds and if the prices are gonna stay up for a while then I'm set for a while :). Not planning on reselling the drives for a profit just want to have what I'm gonna use at what was current pricing.

If you see another deal like this don't hesitate if you need a drive. This WD 2TB was OOS at all but 1 Best Buy near me after one day.

Are they EARS or EARX? both are 64MB cache but the EARX is SATA 6.0Gb/s
Probably doesn't matter with a green spinning drive though.

All of mine were EARS drives manufactured in 11/2010. Not crazy about the drives sitting in a box for a year but oh well. My guess is that if you are lucky to have a high turnover store and are closer to the west coast then your chance of an EARX is better. However, I live in OH, went to two stores that are nearly an hour apart, and all packages had 11/2010 manufacture dates on the drive.

I won't complain as the price of "just in case" is much better than "just in time" right now.

what are the odds?
As I was installing one of the WD drives in my HTPC my main rig locks up and I have to reset it and when it boots up it gives goes to a black screen telling me that one of my drives needs to be checked.
one of my 1 year old WD 2TB EARS drives had the MFT get corrupt and I can't seem to fix it. :(

All of mine were EARS drives manufactured in 11/2010. Not crazy about the drives sitting in a box for a year but oh well. My guess is that if you are lucky to have a high turnover store and are closer to the west coast then your chance of an EARX is better. However, I live in OH, went to two stores that are nearly an hour apart, and all packages had 11/2010 manufacture dates on the drive.

I won't complain as the price of "just in case" is much better than "just in time" right now.

Make sure you save your receipt for warranty purposes. If you go to WD and just pop in the serial # it will show only 2 years left, so you have to provide a receipt so you get the full 3 years.

Make sure you save your receipt for warranty purposes. If you go to WD and just pop in the serial # it will show only 2 years left, so you have to provide a receipt so you get the full 3 years.

Not really. What you do is send a support email to WD with your proof of purchase and they update the serial number. That is how it has always worked. You dont need to save anything, just contact them to update it.

Not really. What you do is send a support email to WD with your proof of purchase and they update the serial number. That is how it has always worked. You dont need to save anything, just contact them to update it.

What do you use as proof of purchase 2 years down the road if you need to RMA the drive?

What do you use as proof of purchase 2 years down the road if you need to RMA the drive?

I cant remember the last time I RMA'd but, that is kind of the whole purpose of the serial number. Might have to ask them if they require additional proof when RMAing, I dont think they do. Whats the point of having a serial number based warranty if they require additional papers anyways.

I cant remember the last time I RMA'd but, that is kind of the whole purpose of the serial number. Might have to ask them if they require additional proof when RMAing, I dont think they do. Whats the point of having a serial number based warranty if they require additional papers anyways.

Well, they require a scan of the receipt and then after they verify it, then the warranty is adjusted.

By default, the warranty date is calculated from the manufacture date. However, if you have proof of purchase, we can update the warranty to calculate it from the purchase date. If you feel that the warranty date needs to be updated from the purchase date, please follow the instructions below.

1. Send us an email from this link:
http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php
2. Put in "Update warranty" in the subject line.
3. Attach a picture or a scanned copy of your purchase receipt (jpg, jpeg, or gif formats only, max 500KB)
4. Send the email.

Once we receive the email, we will verify the information and update the warranty accordingly. You will receive a response from us about the status of your email.

Well, they require a scan of the receipt and then after they verify it, then the warranty is adjusted.

Yup, which is what I stated before. I guess if you want to wait for later down the road, then save your stuff. I always contact them and have them update it for full warranty.

don't forget to pricematch at other stores were possible. IE Frys if you have one or WalMart if they have in stock in your area.

My orders have been online for instore pickup and I haven't been the one picking them up so I haven't been in the store to see if they've got them on the shelves at this price too... I'm guessing so until they run out but anyway....

If you ordered online and picked up instore then you should be able to print out an invoice for the drive later on if you do need it and you don't have the original receipt. Just a thought anyway.

I managed to get two and I've opened one and it's an EARX built in September of 2011.

After one day they were sold out of all stores near me except one and that's probably more than half an hour away so I'm glad I ordered right away rather than think about if I should.

I'm noticing now all stores near my show in stock for pickup.... one of which is a mobile phone store in a mall that I doubt even sells hard drives.

Have you guys been having the same problems? The same thing happened a couple of days ago for me.

Yeah youre right. ALL the stores show available now. I am going to guess, since I was in the store today and checked, that is wrong unless they all just got shipments in tonight lol.. Funny stuff.

My orders have been online for instore pickup and I haven't been the one picking them up so I haven't been in the store to see if they've got them on the shelves at this price too... I'm guessing so until they run out but anyway....

If you ordered online and picked up instore then you should be able to print out an invoice for the drive later on if you do need it and you don't have the original receipt. Just a thought anyway.

I managed to get two and I've opened one and it's an EARX built in September of 2011.

After one day they were sold out of all stores near me except one and that's probably more than half an hour away so I'm glad I ordered right away rather than think about if I should.

you're fine with the warranty, it's good till 11/2014.
It's only an issue if the manf. date is much older than the purchase date.

Just for giggles, I am going to call tomorrow and see if they actually got more drives in at mine, or if the stock update online is bogus. I was at my bestbuy earlier today and happened to check, there were zero on the shelves.

Saw them instore for 109.99 last week. Thank god for 14 day price match. Extra 90 bux in my pocket.

Just for giggles, I am going to call tomorrow and see if they actually got more drives in at mine, or if the stock update online is bogus. I was at my bestbuy earlier today and happened to check, there were zero on the shelves.

I'd be interested to hear if they did get a restock. If they did, I might just buy a few more to upgrade my unRAID server to a 20 disk array from 16.

ordered one last night and got the we don't have any in the store you ordered to pick up from email this morning.

Same here. Message came in at 3 in the morning so how exactly was someone checking the local store?

I managed to get one while it was still available at a local best buy. I also placed Ship-To-Store orders for about 6 others at various stores around the area. Originally I was told that they were getting a shipment in this Thurs-Fri that would fill these orders, but now most of them have been updated to back-ordered. It's also now impossible to place any new ship-to-store orders for this hard drive at any best buy around DC / MD. I hope some of you managed to pick some of these drives up, as prices are going only going to get worse for quite a while.

I placed an order Monday morning and received "not available at store" email in the afternoon.

I placed another order this morning, and now I got an email saying today's order is "ready for pickup".

I guess I should call and have them reinstate my Monday order so I can snag two of these drives.

You can only order 1 (onlime) they are limiting to 1 drive/person

I just got an email saying that my order has been cancelled because its Out of Stock!

I was told to chekc in Saturday morning when they put the new stock on the shelves.

Doe anyone know what the actual drive model # i.

THe retail bozx says WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN BUT has 32mb or 64mb cache?

I've heard different versions.

You can only order 1 (onlime) they are limiting to 1 drive/person

I just got an email saying that my order has been cancelled because its Out of Stock!

I was told to chekc in Saturday morning when they put the new stock on the shelves.

Now there is the limit of 1 per person but is that like one per visit?

I've ordered one all ready and it when OOS but now showing in stock and I'm thinking of trying to order another.

**Warning: There have been some people reporting getting some of these that are "Out of Region" and do not carry the same warranty. They are having to email WD to try and fix it. I am not sure where bestbuy are getting them from then but.....just fyi. Make sure you check warranty. Someone stated that WD told them to return them for replacement, which may or may not be possible with such limited supply.**

Last edited:
I picked one of these up yesterday, so you may still get lucky. Additionally, the CSR & her manager were very nice and offered to sell me the 2TB Seagate External drive for $79.99 because they were out of all their 2TB drives. The Seagate drive is in the weekly ad for $99.99.

So I paid for two of them and they will arrive next week.

I picked one of these up yesterday, so some stores still have them, this is a really good deal considering where HDD prices are at with online stores. The drive I got was a WD20EARX with the 64MB Cache.

If its any consolation, I saw that Target had 2TB external WD drives for $90 (normal price) when I was there this week. $10 more and you void a warranty by opening it, but probably less of a demand to get them.

I had a best buy show with stock this morning. Not closest one near me but close enough to avoid paying $200+ at newegg.

Back