2TB WD Green HDD - $100 No Rebate - FS

That's a pretty solid deal. Too slow for a main drive but good choice for a backup or just bulk storage.

Kind of my thoughts as well. Not bad if someone is also looking for a cheap RAID as well.

And then the flooding in Thailand and the consolidation of the HDD market occurred. Good price on a 2TB drive.

the damn flood, i don't mind the pricing of HDDs (they are not that bad) but what sucks is the warranty has gone down, (bought 2 WD green 2TB for $70 with 3 year warranty before flood)

Fuck the green and fuck WD, I've had several WD fail, all MONTHS after warranty ended. And I mean SEVERAL, some in enclosures, some internal, some black, most green.

FUCK these drives.

Western Digital Caviar Green 2 TB Desktop Hard Drive WD20EARX 99.99 Amazon with Prime

Which they have recovered already....

and taking advantage of the situation.

This.

If there is any way we can get fucked for longer than needed, the entire tech industry will find a way.
The idea is to stack up now on RAM before they blame "earth quakes" in Thialand again for the ram shortage for 2 years.

Which they have recovered already....

and taking advantage of the situation.

The consolidation of the 3.5" HDD industry into 3 companies probably has played a larger role in prices remaining higher then pre-flood levels. Western Digital and Seagate are really the only big players left (Toshiba may end up becoming a 3rd big player in the near future) with Samsung and Hitachi selling off their HDD divisions. Decreased competition usually means increased prices.

And with all the recent deals on SSDs, the price on spinner drives is looking even worse.

And with all the recent deals on SSDs, the price on spinner drives is looking even worse.

This right here is going to bite the conventional drive manufacturers in the long run. Storage capacity is important but people like that oh-so-fast SSD action

WD Greens are the worst possible drive for raid. There literally isn't a worse choice on the market right now.

I have two 1.5 TB greens (EARS) running in Raid 0 for about 2.5 years now and they have been great. Performance is great and no problems whatsoever. I use them regularly as well.

cortexodus said:
This right here is going to bite the conventional drive manufacturers in the long run. Storage capacity is important but people like that oh-so-fast SSD action

Agreed, but you have to remember SSDs are still in the minority. It seems like everyone here owns one, but this is an enthusiast forum. The fact that SSD manufacturers are pushing down prices is certainly going to make them more mainstream but there is still a large market for hard drives. Many of us here wouldn't consider running anything but a SSD for a boot drive, but there is no feasible replacement for spinning drives in our NAS boxes, file servers, etc. Anything where cost-effective, high capacity and/or redundant storage is needed. Plus the big box PC companies like Dell and HP are still putting hard drives in most of their PCs and laptops, and remember that businesses use hard drives in their SANs and data centers.

So yeah, the price on hard drives needs to come down to make them more compelling for everyday users but there are specific uses for these high capacity drives and they know there is no solid state replacement for a 1-3TB drive right now. They certainly aren't in any danger of going out of business any time soon due to the fact that SSDs still aren't in the majority and there are still lots of uses for conventional hard drives. Until we see high capacity SSDs that compete in price in such a way that they are a reasonable alternative to supplant spinning drives, it seems like the prices will remain high on the larger drives that some people simply have to have for reasons such as capacity or write endurance.

Back