2tb+ os/hw support

tporter

Weaksauce
Am I right in thinking the only limitation for 2tb drives were:

A) bios limitation - solved by uefi
B) mbr format - solved by gpt

So If any device claims support for 3tb+ drives, it should be compatible with ANY large drive for the forseeable future right? Is there some limitation other than these 2 items? I cant see kernel version or anything similar limiting this (unless an intentional limit put into kernel by vendor)

you're correct. it should just work, likely 3tb was the largest drive at the time.

I thinking more towards the device/NAS limitation. If a NAS claims support for a 3tb drive, it should have the correct support for ANY large drive

I thinking more towards the device/NAS limitation. If a NAS claims support for a 3tb drive, it should have the correct support for ANY large drive

Not necessarily. Keep in mind back in the day when 1TB was the largest drive out there it wasn't guaranteed that you'd be able to put a 2TB drive in the system and have it recognized. In a number of cases BIOS updates were required to recognize and use a 2TB drive.

I would not bet on the system automatically being able to use larger than 3TB drives. A BIOS or firmware update of some sort may be required for higher capacity drives.

Not necessarily. Keep in mind back in the day when 1TB was the largest drive out there it wasn't guaranteed that you'd be able to put a 2TB drive in the system and have it recognized. In a number of cases BIOS updates were required to recognize and use a 2TB drive.

I would not bet on the system automatically being able to use larger than 3TB drives. A BIOS or firmware update of some sort may be required for higher capacity drives.
I was bit by this probably when I bought a quite pricey Asus RT-AX88U wifi router. I attached a 3Tb USB3 drive to it for time machine backups but it just wouldn't work no matter what I did. I suspected the size could be a culprit and went and bought a 2Tb model. Worked on first try.

Back