2TB Hitachi External Drive for $55 shipped from newegg

Okay so I bought this because the price was too low to resist. Damn you sales and burning holes in my wallet!!!!

Hot damn, too good of a deal to pass up. Thanks. Gota love no tax in WA when ordering from Newegg.

Lowest price for a 2 TB internal drive on Newegg is $75, so I'd say this is a good deal. In for one...this'll be my sixth 2 TB drive. But really, too much storage is better than not enough!
Also: this drive arrives formatted in FAT 32. I'd recommend reformatting to NTFS so you don't have file transfer size issues (i.e. over 4 gb files).

Bought one, don't really need it so I might cancel it before it ships.

I've owned 3 hitachi drives all failed within a year, this is over a 7 year span of trying to give them another chance multiple times. Western digital/seagate for life I don't care if the cost is double

Nice deal... Haven't had a Hitachi fail on me yet, and that's in a DVR system that's been running 24/7 for the past 2 years.

On slickdeals, they seem to mention the new egg reviews. The ones that has this drive fail, and it seems to be the enclosure, so you might want to take it out of the enclosure for safe measure, though it would invalidate the warranty.

These models are evil. The drives run particularly hot for some reason, and the enclosure doesn't seem to ventilate well. So make sure the drive is in an open area because the case can get almost hot to the touch.

They're also incredibly loud during power up/down, which is apparently normal for the drive but disconcerting nevertheless.

I've just tried to order one but am getting this error message during check-out. :(

"Although you've entered a valid promo code SHRUN12, your order does not currently meet the code's usage criteria. Please double-check your order and try again."

Sounds like the deal is dead now? :(

Last edited:
Just got mine today. The drive is a HDS722020ALA330 which is this drive. 7200RPM/32MB cache. I expected the drive to be 5400RPM for this price (and connectivity) so this was a pleasant surprise... for the most part.

I can really hear/feel it hum, its much louder than expected. Now I have to decide if I want to throw something else I have lying around in the enclose as USB 2.0 is going to bottleneck anything, and put the 7200RPM drive to better use.

The 7k2000 hard drives are loud, that is the one in my DVR system. That is normal with the drive. And they do run hot.

I got mine yesterday, literally free same day delivery :D

Haha, when I plugged mine in I thought my cd-drive had spun up, but nope it was the drive. I'm using hd tune to run an error scan, is there a better tool to do that to check the drive? The hitachi drive fitness tool says it doesn't support drives in usb enclosures.

These models are evil. The drives run particularly hot for some reason, and the enclosure doesn't seem to ventilate well. So make sure the drive is in an open area because the case can get almost hot to the touch.

Mod the case for better ventilation. I'd say keeping your drive from overheating is more important than voiding the warranty.

Did anyone take their drive out of the factory enclosure? I planned to put this drive in my computer as a regular internal har-drive. I just got mine today. I hate that the screw to take the drive out of the enclosure is underneath one of those warranty void if removed stickers.

Did anyone take their drive out of the factory enclosure? I planned to put this drive in my computer as a regular internal har-drive. I just got mine today. I hate that the screw to take the drive out of the enclosure is underneath one of those warranty void if removed stickers.

Well, it's kinda pointless for the warranty sticker to be there if it didn't do anything to provide evidence of tampering :p

Someone linked a case take apart video in the slickdeals thread. It was real easy to take apart, but unless you know how you are going to break it. There is a hidden catch that you have to push down (I did it with a strong paperclip. Then you can pop the hitachi front plate offl, and then take out the remaining screws. I'll put the 2TB drive in my computer and take an old drive out and put the other drive in the enclosure.

I'll put the 2TB drive in my computer and take an old drive out and put the other drive in the enclosure.

That's what I'm planning on doing. :D

There is a YouTube video that shows a disasseble of the SimpleTech 2TB (exact same drive). Though I kind of figured it out how to do it within the first minute or so only to realize that there are two small screws near the other end of the enclosure. Accidentally broke one of them off. :eek:

Back