2nd Gen AMD Ryzen CPU Showing Boot Issues with Old BIOS

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
AMD has issued a support bulletin this morning pertaining to its 2nd Generation AMD Ryzen CPUs. It seems that some older UEFI BIOS are not playing nice with the new CPUs. All in all, this is not all that uncommon when it comes to new CPUs and motherboards that support previous generation processors. If you are unable to get your system to POST or boot with a new Ryzen, the solution is simple and hopefully you will have what you need on hand to make this happen.

The Socket AM4 platform is designed to be a long life, fully featured, scalable solution with support for multiple processors, with varying capabilities. Since the release of the AMD Socket AM4 motherboards in early 2017 with the AMD Ryzen desktop processor, there have been several BIOS updates made available through our motherboard partners. These updates not only provide improved system performance but also expand support for newer processors as they become available.

In February 2018, AMD began introduction of the new 2nd Gen Ryzen™ Desktop Processor with Radeon™ Vega Graphics. To enable support for this new processor, an updated BIOS is required. Due to the rapid pace of innovation, and strong demand for Ryzen Processors with Radeon Graphics, it may be possible that some users with an AMD Socket AM4 motherboard paired with a 2nd Generation Ryzen Desktop introduced in 2018, may experience an issue where the system does not boot up during initial setup.

The boot up issue likely means a system is running an early BIOS that does not have support for newer processors. This can be resolved by updating the motherboard BIOS to the latest version, which can be performed by using any processor supported with the currently installed BIOS. For a list of supported processors per BIOS version, please refer to the CPU Support List document available on the motherboard manufacturer's website. BIOS download and installation instructions are also found on their websites.

Update the UEFI/BIOS to one from the motherboard manufacturer's website to one that supports the 2nd gen CPU. Of course, you will need your "old" Ryzen processor to do this. If you can't do this, you might check to see if you can send in the motherboard for an update, or rely on a buddy from HardForum to do it for you.

AMD is also offering a free boot kit should you end up with no other options. I am assuming they will send you out a 1st gen Ryzen to allow you to update your UEFI/BIOS.

In the Problem Description field enter "Boot kit Required" (without quotes)

Looks like AGESA 1.0.0.7 from August-ish should be new enough but who knows whats sitting around on shelves these days
Some motherboards will update the BIOS even if they cant completely post, from what I have read. There is usually a button you have to hold to kick it off

Looks like AGESA 1.0.0.7 from August-ish should be new enough but who knows whats sitting around on shelves these days
Some motherboards will update the BIOS even if they cant completely post, from what I have read. There is usually a button you have to hold to kick it off
only seen that on asus. and if you buy local a lot of shops/stores will do the update for you.

I was going to get a 2200 and B350 for my brother but he wanted a new pc soon and I didn't want to have to deal with worries about where I'd get an existing chip or some other arrangement.

This is going to cause some headaches for 1st time builders, the boot kit is a nice option depending on how long it takes to arrive.

This is common with ALL new gens on old sockets. Just try getting a 7000 series Intel CPU to work on 100 series chipsets with an old BIOS.

But because this is AMD, you have to point the finger.

Ok, someone just bought a 2200G and a B350 motherboard, but they find out that they have to update the BIOS in order to use the chip. EASY FIX, just order a Ryzen 1200 and use THAT to flash the motherboard...wait you can't get video because the 1200 lacks graphics? EASY FIX, just order one of the $200 RX-550 cards and use that for video. Now that you have your Ryzen 1200 and RX-550 ready, install them and flash the motherboard. Now you're all set, only concern now is wondering why you just didn't get a Ryzen 1600 and a used GTX770 for the amount you spent.

AMD's gotta come up with a way to update the BIOS without needing a processor. I know ASUS did this with some of their Z170/Z270 boards, AMD should implement this into all their boards.

This is common with ALL new gens on old sockets. Just try getting a 7000 series Intel CPU to work on 100 series chipsets with an old BIOS.

But because this is AMD, you have to point the finger.

It servers as a nice PSA to anyone buying used or anyone with an older board already, looking at using the new CPUs.

I thought Intel got around that by changing one pin on the socket and releasing a "new" chipset with ever CPU update

Yeah, they probably could have made the 8th gen work on Z170. At least the quad cores. But they didn't. However, the 7th gen work perfectly, minus a couple of the extra I/O lanes and probaby the 4K cert for netflix, etc. I have a 7600k in a Z170, daily driving at 5ghz.

to each own...I REALLY wish they STOP referencing them as "2nd generation"
12nm i/e Zen+ is "ok" cause that is what they are
no different than many graphics cards from past generations such as Nvidia GTX 200 series such as 260 on 65nm dropping down to 55nm but maintaining the same name, or the GTX 280 vs 285...the 285 "could have" been a "new generation" going by this router of calling Raven Ridge on 12nm as "second generation Ryzen"

Just because it has an APU design via a lower process does not a new generation make (especially seeing as AMD held it back from 14nm)

Zen+ absolutely, my understanding has been for many months now based on AMD word of mouth, true 2nd generation (at which point no problems to call it such) is 7nm (unless they have unforeseen issues prior to them being released...12nm is a "refresh" not a new generation

Course AMD is curious that way, RX 400 series to RX 500 series, basically the same damn thing, just higher clock speeds and a bit of "up class" name change (RX 460, down to 550 as an example)

Anyways ^.^

AMD's gotta come up with a way to update the BIOS without needing a processor. I know ASUS did this with some of their Z170/Z270 boards, AMD should implement this into all their boards.
Why just AMD?

Wow, that's a big stumble from AMD. They surely could have foreseen and averted this situation, no?
Honestly, probably not. It is just a normal pitfall of this type of situation.

I heard that Asrock mobos also can update the bios even with an unsupported cpu installed .

I am waiting for boards to launch with Zen+ support built in so I can do a 2200G system. I don’t have an older Ryzen to upgrade an existing board. Overall I think that is AMD’s biggest fail here, I can’t even build a new system using their CPU right now.

holy fuck people this isnt the first or last time this "issue" has occured. most cpu updates like this have had this happen. happened with the FX chips and numerous intel boards too. or they just force you to buy a whole new board....

lol to the AMD fanbois accusing of bias! Victim mentality? As numerous ppl have said already, but I will add my anecdote to a still current Intel board. I had same problem with my AsRock server board c236 that couldnt be updated to support Kaby lake without a Skylake cpu and all I had was kaby lake.. which turned into a mini clusterf... Intel didnt care of course.. and AsRock while well meaning didnt give me a solution either so I took my loss and bought a skylake.. so at least AMD is stepping up here with a kit.

I am waiting for boards to launch with Zen+ support built in so I can do a 2200G system. I don’t have an older Ryzen to upgrade an existing board. Overall I think that is AMD’s biggest fail here, I can’t even build a new system using their CPU right now.
Of course you can build whatever, just check with the mobo manufacturer.. I'm sure they will be listing and updating compatibility quickly.

Bought an MSI B350M MORTAR. Got delivered with 1.1 BIOS from 24th March 2017. Good thing i had an R7 1700 system here.

So what is in a 'boot kit' anyway? does that mean you are getting a free chip of sorts?
Replaceable BIOS chips from now on?, well, that might not help TOO much, its all about mobo support in the end.

Depends on your definition of free. It is more like 'loaner chip'. My guess is that they send you a 7th gen APU, which is supported by every board, and you are supposed to send it back after you are done.

Depends on your definition of free. It is more like 'loaner chip'. My guess is that they send you a 7th gen APU, which is supported by every board, and you are supposed to send it back after you are done.

Most likely with a deposit in case you bend the pins.

Ok, someone just bought a 2200G and a B350 motherboard, but they find out that they have to update the BIOS in order to use the chip. EASY FIX, just order a Ryzen 1200 and use THAT to flash the motherboard...wait you can't get video because the 1200 lacks graphics? EASY FIX, just order one of the $200 RX-550 cards and use that for video. Now that you have your Ryzen 1200 and RX-550 ready, install them and flash the motherboard. Now you're all set, only concern now is wondering why you just didn't get a Ryzen 1600 and a used GTX770 for the amount you spent.

AMD doesn't manufacture the motherboards, these are same parties that manufacture Intel boards, and I believe of those only ASUS support such functionality. Calling on AMD, and not Intel or the mobo manufacturers seems odd.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
This is common practice and understandable however, it is up to the chip manufacturers and motherboard manufacturers to find a solution to this issue. The motherboards should either ship with a boot kit or have a chip on board that allows you to get into the bios without a CPU.

This goes for Intel as well. You shouldn't need a skylake chip to install a kabaylake chip.

I heard that Asrock mobos also can update the bios even with an unsupported cpu installed .
Source please? I am fixing to order several Asrock boards and would love to know more about this.

I have decided to order a Bristol Ridge APU to keep as a spare in case I run into this issue.

This is has been traditionally a motherboard issue to work around. I dunno why some expect AMD to hold their hands while they wipe their asses at the same time?

I have decided to order a Bristol Ridge APU to keep as a spare in case I run into this issue.
I think that was a good move. I'm refreshing my HTPCs and grabbed a Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac motherboard.
I janked together a quick build last night and it would only do a boot-loop power cycle (would turn on for about 5 seconds, then power itself off, rinse and repeat).

Tried some alternate memory (on AsRocks supported memory QVL list), but that didn't help (was using a high quality 1000w power supply just for testing).
I'm going to try a dedicated video card tonight, but I'm *PRETTY* sure it needs a BIOS update to recognize things.

I've got two other builds to do after this one, so I on a whim I grabbed an r3-1200 from Amazon (I'm a Prime member and wanted it for the weekend) to serve as my BIOS flasher.
I'll probably unload it in FS/FT after I'm done. I don't know what your timetable is but feel free to shoot me a PM if you're interested - I'll cut you a good deal on it after I'm done - for the good of the community.

Nice that they offer the boot kit.

Way back in the day we used to keep low end cpu's around for this purpose. We had a p2-233 that passed hands hundreds of times just to do bios updates. That was before Intel started changing their sockets like dirty underwear.

Last edited:
FYI UPDATE:

Article over at Ars talking about the kit and someone posted the following in the comments section of what the BIOS Kit from AMD involves:

our boot kit request has been approved and we are processing this through our standard RMA system.

You should have received the RMA number and confirmation details in a separate email by now.

Please note: Your RMA will be for your boot kit model number and not for your Ryzen APU.
Once you have received the boot kit, please install the boot kit processor onto your motherboard and boot up the system to begin the BIOS update procedure.
The latest BIOS is available for download from the motherboard manufacturer’s website. You may save the BIOS onto a USB flash drive using another PC or download directly onto the current system after the operating system has been successfully installed and configured.
With the latest BIOS file downloaded and saved, please follow the motherboard BIOS update instructions. These instructions are available online from the manufacturer’s website or found in the user manual.
After the BIOS update is complete, please swap out the boot kit processor with your new Ryzen APU and confirm that the system is now booting up successfully.
Once you have confirmed that your Ryzen APU is working on your motherboard, please send your boot kit back to AMD following the instructions below.

Book Kit Return Shipping Instructions
Please securely package the boot kit CPU in the box it came in with the RMA number and return shipping address clearly written on the outside of the box.
Note: Please keep the heatsink and fan as it is not required to send this back to AMD but be advised that this heatsink is not compatible with your Ryzen APU.

The shipping address is:
AMD/ ModusLink Global Solution Center
11010 NW 92nd Terrace
Miami, Florida 33178
Tel: 1-305-803-0916

I am currently arranging a pre-paid FedEx return label to return your CPU back to AMD free of charge - It will be emailed to you shortly.
Please print the label and attach it to the return package and arrange pick up or drop off through your local FedEx service center.

I will keep this ticket open for another 10 days so you can provide an update. If you need to update the ticket after 10 days, please submit a new request via http://support.amd.com/en-us/contact/email-form

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

Shibu

AMD Global Customer Care

So basically the TL;DR is they send you a Bristol Ridge 2C + heatsink/fan, you flash board up, they email you pre-paid return label, you send CPU ONLY back. You keep heatsink it seems.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
FYI UPDATE:

Article over at Ars talking about the kit and someone posted the following in the comments section of what the BIOS Kit from AMD involves:

our boot kit request has been approved and we are processing this through our standard RMA system.

You should have received the RMA number and confirmation details in a separate email by now.

Please note: Your RMA will be for your boot kit model number and not for your Ryzen APU.
Once you have received the boot kit, please install the boot kit processor onto your motherboard and boot up the system to begin the BIOS update procedure.
The latest BIOS is available for download from the motherboard manufacturer’s website. You may save the BIOS onto a USB flash drive using another PC or download directly onto the current system after the operating system has been successfully installed and configured.
With the latest BIOS file downloaded and saved, please follow the motherboard BIOS update instructions. These instructions are available online from the manufacturer’s website or found in the user manual.
After the BIOS update is complete, please swap out the boot kit processor with your new Ryzen APU and confirm that the system is now booting up successfully.
Once you have confirmed that your Ryzen APU is working on your motherboard, please send your boot kit back to AMD following the instructions below.

Please securely package the boot kit CPU in the box it came in with the RMA number and return shipping address clearly written on the outside of the box.
Note: Please keep the heatsink and fan as it is not required to send this back to AMD but be advised that this heatsink is not compatible with your Ryzen APU.

The shipping address is:
11010 NW 92nd Terrace
Miami, Florida 33178

I am currently arranging a pre-paid FedEx return label to return your CPU back to AMD free of charge - It will be emailed to you shortly.
Please print the label and attach it to the return package and arrange pick up or drop off through your local FedEx service center.

I will keep this ticket open for another 10 days so you can provide an update. If you need to update the ticket after 10 days, please submit a new request via http://support.amd.com/en-us/contact/email-form

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

Shibu

AMD Global Customer Care

So basically the TL;DR is they send you a Bristol Ridge 2C + heatsink/fan, you flash board up, they email you pre-paid return label, you send CPU ONLY back. You keep heatsink it seems.
Yeah, heatsink is just extra weight, probably cost more to ship both ways than cost of production. Curious why they even send one... do the APUs not come with them? Would it cost more to ship TIM instead?

FYI UPDATE:

The shipping address is:
11010 NW 92nd Terrace
Miami, Florida 33178

Best regards,

Shibu

AMD Global Customer Care

This is above and beyond expected support and people still found a reason to bash them.

Back