2K or 4K Monitor. Is 27" to small for 4K ?

scoobert

Limp Gawd
I do mostly single player games (tomb raiders/far cry's type) and capture/LR/PS.( Photo editing) Currently I am running 2 X 27" Dell S2715H 1080P monitors and my wife has decided that they would work much better on her desk.

My concern with 4K is that with 27" monitors everything will be to small as I have heard to run 4K you should really be at 32".

Any people in here game and photo edit, what do you people think?

LG 4k Monitor https://www.amazon.com …smid=A13BNE3P7C8THK&psc=1

1440P would go with the Dell or viewsonic

Thanks for any help

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah, I don't think you want 4K on a 27" screen. For that size you are better with 1440p.

Also, not sure what GPU you got, but 4K is crazy intensive and you will need a 1080 Ti or above to be comfortable.

I'd recommend going with 1440p (and possibly high refresh) over 4K.

Yeah, I don't think you want 4K on a 27" screen. For that size you are better with 1440p.

Also, not sure what GPU you got, but 4K is crazy intensive and you will need a 1080 Ti or above to be comfortable.

I'd recommend going with 1440p (and possibly high refresh) over 4K.

Makes sense to me.

But yes 1080ti but pretty much stuck at 60hz because most all the decent photo ips monitors are 60hz.

4k with 150% scaling is the same size as 1440p1440p at 27. Look very clean but in games there are no difference

I use 27" 4K monitor with 100% calling and in Web pages usually 150% zoom because it makes little sense when viewing full screen to use 100%. When viewing Web browser next to some program eg. code editor I will use 100%

size wise it is fine for me but I have exceptionally good eyesight and can read text work this size even from meter away. For most people it will be too small.

For gaming 144Hz 1440p will be much better. Visually however 4K on small screen look awesome and with FXAA aliasing or slight blur this form of AA introduces are not visible at all.

Screen for is also not visible while on 1440p it still is. also text sharpness (when using scaling) is awesome.

Concluding it all depends on your eyesight. If you are comfortable with very small text then it will prowide a lot of desktop space

Makes sense to me.

But yes 1080ti but pretty much stuck at 60hz because most all the decent photo ips monitors are 60hz.
I see. 4K can definitely be good for work, and at 60Hz you can hang with a 1080 Ti.

As HiCZoK says, you can use Windows scaling and most applications will support it.

Just note that some older or more obscure apps don't recognize high-dpi settings and look pixelated w/ 4K. Most things will look fine though.

I use 27" 4K at work at 200%, exact scaling I guess, no gaming of course, gives me the same font size as 27" FHD, my previous display (not so young anymore). What a difference!. I wish I never look at anything below 4k again. When software scales well it is a joy to use. The graininess of FHD hurts my eyes now. But win 10 seems to struggle a bit although I am using GTX1050Ti with i5-4590s. I bet 32" 4k at 200% will be awesome, next time I buy a display for the company I will try to sneak one.
On the other hand, at home I am using 32" 1440p 165 Hz g-sync at 150% scaling (my previous one was 27" 1440p 60 Hz). Not so clean and sharp, in fact a long way away. Makes me regret it. I bought it for gaming but my 2080 Ti is a 3rd month in repair (gigabyte) and I look at the fuzzy display without benefiting from the gaming at 165 Hz g-sync. I wish I bought 32" 4k 165Hz g-sync instead. The 165 Hz is so cool even in windows.
Even 27" 1440p at 100% looks grainy next to 27" 4k 200%.
I can look at 4k wallpapers all day long.

Back