2gb or 4gb

doox00

2[H]4U
I am upgrading my system to a c2d, keeping my 8800gts. Any benefit going with 4gb (2x2gb) over 2gb's of ram? I have not been paying much attention to hardware the past year so not sure if 4gb is worth it at this time, is it really needed for gaming and general pc use.

thanks

I'd say it depends on budget and how long your going to use the new "upgrade" before upgrading again. It's only necessary if your going to be using XP64 or Vista x64 as 32-bit can't see all 4 gigs. Only a handful of games and apps today can use the extra ram, but down the road a year or two, it could be a totally different story. With ram so cheap now, it would hurt to go 4GB just to be safe. I did the same thing myself. This time last year i paid about $400 for 2GB ram, i just bought another 2GB of identical ram for $170.

I got 4GB of ram and haven't really taken advantage of it much in any games. But I don't play anything super new (Not that theres anything new right now anyway). Just Sims2, RE4, CS:S, and Dreamfall. The only time I used more then 2GB is with programming, Apache + MySQL and etc.

But ram is cheap so it was worth it.

If you don't need overclockable ram the Patriot 2GB sticks are super cheap at fry's. 2x2GB for less then $200.

When I run vista Ultimate 64 and bf2142 at 1600x1200 I go over 2 gigs of usage. That is a current game at a setting many people currently play at. Future games will only use more ram. Going to 4 gigs improved my gameplay in vista much like going from 1 gig to 2 gigs does in windows xp.

Get the 4 gigs, particularly if you will be keeping this PC for more than a few months.

are there drawbacks going with 4 1gb sticks like there has been in the past?

no, only a little reduced OCing on some boards.

Also some boards liek the 680i boards are very picky due to their weak memory controller on the board using 4 dimms, just post your board here and we can check to see if it is alright

Back