2D/3D mode issue with new HD6870 GPU/Catalyst 11.9 & FF

daws0n

Weaksauce
I've recently replaced my GPU with a HD6870. Gaming/stress testing is stable, but I have a strange problem with Firefox...

The fan is noticeably louder than my previous card, so the shift from 2D to 3D mode is easily heard as the RPM increases... I noticed a lot of whirring noise when browsing the net in Firefox. Loading GPU-Z I have narrowed the problem down to scrolling...

If I scroll a page for just one second, the card immediatley kicks into 3D mode - causing higher clock speeds and fan/temp increases. A few seconds later, it reverts back to 2D mode until I scroll again.

I have tried disabling HW acceleration and smooth scrolling, but the problem persists...

Is this a known issue? Any ideas if it is caused by drivers or the Firefox browser? I do not get the same problem using IE9, with HW acceleration enabled...

Any ideas guys? As a last resort, is it possible to fake a 3D profile to match the same clockspeed as 2D? For when I am not gaming?

T'is a shame if that's true Samuel as the plugins are still excellent and really set it apart IMO.

That said, ATI's drivers are pretty bad ATM... I installed the new preview 3 drivers first to play RAGE (got the card yesterday), and 3D rendering was completely screwed! Could not load Furmark or 3Dmark without crashing the drivers, computer hard freezed every time with "display drivers not responding" error. Figured it was a bad GPU/PSU issue, but thankfully the 11.9 drivers are much more stable.

I've just installed an old 10.12 version and the FF issue is still here. Me thinks I should of joined the green side instead :D

I can't say I had the issue with 3D mode and fan speeds when scrolling in chrome. However, if all you're worried about is the fan speed, you can get around it by using MSI Afterburner - that uses a fixed fan speed based on the temperature, regardless of the clock speed state. Force the fan speed never to go above minimum until it reaches say 65C, and you won't ever hear the card at idle (reference cooler-assuming, of course, but it works for others too)

Tried Afterburner mate, but can't get it to work...Pulled the sliders down to minimum, but according to GPU-Z it's having no effect on the clockspeed...

Too bad Rivatuner is redundant, that was always good for this sort of thing.

Must be a FF thing, have tried an old version 3 I still have installed and it's fine.

Any suggestions on tools to modify the 3D clock profile?

If I can set Core/Mem clock to mirror the 2D profile (100/150mhz) that that should sort it out as a dirty fix.

MSI Afterburner has no effect for some reason...

Thanks very much Revdarian - that has worked perfectly!

Mirrored the 2D clocks to 3D, on it custom profile so now at the touch of a hotkey I can turn modify them on for browsing or revert them to the default clocks for gaming :)

Until the FF/Catalyst compaibility is fixed, this will do fine.

Back