$299 - 55" 4K Smart TV'S (Vizio, TCL, Hisense)

I have the Hisense one which I bought a couple of months ago for $375. I stream FuboTV, which is a really good streaming service and Amazon Prime video and Twitch. The Roku Channels has some AVOD too. The TV is fine, picture is good, sound is good and WIFI is great. All you do is plug in the TV, Set it up and start streaming, It's a very good buy.

Crazy prices these days. I have the 55" TCL in our master bedroom. Its a really great TV for the price. Like the poster stated above with the built in Roku its ready to go out of the box. I have mine wired to gigabit ethernet.

Crazy prices these days. I have the 55" TCL in our master bedroom. Its a really great TV for the price. Like the poster stated above with the built in Roku its ready to go out of the box. I have mine wired to gigabit ethernet.

The funny thing is, I bought an HDMI cable along with the TV just out of habit of plugging into a set top box. I got home, looked at the cable and my wife asked what I was thinking...Every once in a while I look at just having the power cable and think, yep, that's the way to go (thinking about all the stereo setups, VHS, DVD, etc etc).

What's the difference between the 4 series and the 5 series TCL's?

From a TCL support agent.

"Each series build on each other. All of these series are 4K UHD, have HDR support, and have a Roku operating system. The 5-Series and 6-Series additionally have Dolby Vision support and wide color gamut. The 6-Series also had CCZ technology. You can also visit www.tclusa.com/products/home-theater/6-series and scroll down to "Compare All Models" to see all models compared. The physical TVs also differ in design. Hope this helps! Thank you, TCL Customer Support"

The funny thing is, I bought an HDMI cable along with the TV just out of habit of plugging into a set top box. I got home, looked at the cable and my wife asked what I was thinking...Every once in a while I look at just having the power cable and think, yep, that's the way to go (thinking about all the stereo setups, VHS, DVD, etc etc).
Ha thats funny, it is really nice, I bought a 43" for the office, love how they are stand alone appliances.
The only difference I have noticed is Dolby Vision. I have a 43" 5 series and a 55" 4 series. Never done side by side but I don't notice much difference.

I hear that the 6 series is the real upgrade, and has decent HDR.

The TCL 6 series is an absolute beast of a value even at its full retail price and it absolutely smokes the 4 and 5 series when it comes to quality and especially HDR or Dolby Vision performance. The lesser models don’t get bright enough, have a wide enough color gamut or have local dimming to offer a real HDR experience but they do at least support processing the incoming signals.

I own both a 55” TCL 6 series and a 75” Sony X900F and am still in awe at how close the TCL comes to the Sony in daily usage.

That being said, those lower end sets provide an excellent value for the average consumer at their prices and the built in Roku is especially nice.

Assume these after last year's models waiting for new stock?

Might have to bite if I see a Samsung 4k with all the HDR goodness, but I think it's still this year's model. Unfortunate for me is my current LCD still works, so its hard for me replace.

The TCL 6 series is an absolute beast of a value even at its full retail price and it absolutely smokes the 4 and 5 series when it comes to quality and especially HDR or Dolby Vision performance. The lesser models don’t get bright enough, have a wide enough color gamut or have local dimming to offer a real HDR experience but they do at least support processing the incoming signals.

I own both a 55” TCL 6 series and a 75” Sony X900F and am still in awe at how close the TCL comes to the Sony in daily usage.

That being said, those lower end sets provide an excellent value for the average consumer at their prices and the built in Roku is especially nice.
I agree on the hdr front. Best to basically ignore it on the cheap sets. Cool that it accepts the signal. But I don't see much from sdr.

Assume these after last year's models waiting for new stock?

Might have to bite if I see a Samsung 4k with all the HDR goodness, but I think it's still this year's model. Unfortunate for me is my current LCD still works, so its hard for me replace.

they're last years but TCL isn't changing the panels for 2019 on the 6/5/4 series for 2019 but they're adding an 8k 8 series miniLED quantum dot for 2019.

Back