295x2 presented to OS as "crossfire"

INFINITE

Limp Gawd
I'm curious if a single 295x2 is presented to the OS or displayed within Catalyst as "Crossfire" enabled?

If "ABC" game does not support "crossfire" then are you going to only see one GPU on this card active?

On that exact card I am not sure, but with those style of dual gpu on one pcb it would only use 1 gpu core on non crossfire software. I am sure someone with the exact card can chime in.

Yeah I was thinking it would act like a dual cpu motherboard. If the software doesn't support multiple processors it would simply only use one.

I'm primarily interested in knowing if this card would run into the same hurdles as a standard dual card crossfire setup in terms of working properly within certain games. Great example would be the stuttering issue and so forth.

It still acts as Crossfire, and you can disable crossfire like you could with two cards.

It can either operate as single card or crossfire because it is 2 cards shoehorned into one pci-e slot.
There are no other modes.

If "ABC" game does not support "crossfire" then are you going to only see one GPU on this card active?

With the current generation of cards it seems like you don't have to worry about that anymore. It just works for the most part.

Death - that's good to know. I'm a few series behind (dual 6950s) which is why I'm asking. Bout to pull the trigger on something new in the next month or two.

With the current generation of cards it seems like you don't have to worry about that anymore. It just works for the most part.

Except for the games where it doesn't. Sure, you can create your own Crossfire profile if it's not already supported in the drivers, but there have been games that were problematic, and even when it works the scaling can vary. Double the gpu's does NOT mean double the performance. I ran dual-7950's for a while, I'm back to being a single-gpu guy. It's just not worth the hassle unless you're forced to use a case/motherboard that can't handle two cards, or you're actually setting up a Tri- or Quad-Fire rig. It sounds like Mantle and DX12 may offer developers more creative ways to divide up the workload between gpu's. Perhaps that will make multi-gpu rigs more interesting in the future, even asymmetric ones.

Yes, it is recognized as Crossfire enabled and shuts down the second GPU if not needed.

Back