295x2 and NF200 compatibility issue

coran007

Limp Gawd
Has anyone else on here had issues with a 295x2 and motherboard utilizing the NF200 chip? I have the P8P67 WS Revolution and when the card is in the first PCIE 16x slot I can't post (either just a black screen or beep code=no vga card detected) or should I be able to get to Windows I get code 43 device has a problem and could not be started. I've had some success at moving the card to the 3rd PCIE 16x slot on that MB and while I may still experience the issues mentioned before I amd still able to get the card working but only with drivers 14.9 any other driver version results in code 43.

To rule out the card as being defective I pulled out my old Intel Core2Duo e6300 and Intel DG965WH motherboard and have had no issues running the card on it.

Called Asus and they were next to no help though the CS Rep at least offered and sent me a form to fill out to submit the issue to an engineer to see if the compatibility issue is reproducible.

Anyway, wondering if anyone else is in the same boat and if so figured out a solution of some sort. Already bought another MB from a forum member and will report back if that solves the issue. It should be noted that I had no issues with my 6970 running in the PCIE 16x slot (first and third) on the P8P67 MB.

I'm going to be called an asshole on this but why spend for a 295x2 when the computer your putting it in is worth less than 200 bucks? NF200? That's like me asking if I can put an electric turbo charger on Model A.

Are you using this for gaming? I can't imagine it being that great due to processor limitation and the fact that the NF200 chipset is something people are not even considering when building new graphics cards.

I seriously doubt you would be bottle-necked in the socket 1155 era of motherboards with basically a crossfire 290x. I am however reading a ton of issues with that board and Radeon 290 and 290x issues.

So have you tried to update the mobo bios? Have you tried the other position on the gpu bios switch (I think one is for legacy and one is for uefi). Can you possibly get the machine to post with the card in another slot? Can you get a post with two cards in there... might be worth a shot.

Just some suggestions

Planned on building out a new computer this summer, the gpu was because it was on sale and it's now driving a Dell U3014 with a plan to do 3 monitors later. The i7-2600k is watercooled and easily runs 4.8GHz without breaking a sweat so while yes a new cpu would be nice I'm not generally cpu bound in anything I'm running. I was able to boot up to Windows with a R5 240 in the third slot and 295x2 in the first slot but the 295x2 still reports an issue in windows. I'll check for the bios switch shortly.

I hope you're not planning to do 3x U3014 with a single R9 295X2. I get that not everyone has to run max settings all the time, but that's much higher res than 4K; depending on the game, you may not enjoy the experience as much as you'd think.

For 2560x1600, one R9 290(X) per screen should be the minimum if possible. Add a 290X to your setup for Trifire if you plan to do 7680x1600, at least in my opinion and experience. But maybe I'm more picky than most...

No wasn't planning on doing 3x U3014. It's my main until freesync monitors come out then I'll decide what and how many monitors to run. Got the Z77 mb in today and will probably start making the switch tomorrow. Going to go through the trouble of filling out the report for Asus to send to an engineer just because now I want to know if I'm right and its the NF200 chip causing the issues.

No wasn't planning on doing 3x U3014. It's my main until freesync monitors come out then I'll decide what and how many monitors to run. Got the Z77 mb in today and will probably start making the switch tomorrow. Going to go through the trouble of filling out the report for Asus to send to an engineer just because now I want to know if I'm right and its the NF200 chip causing the issues.

While I am sure the NF200 is most likely the issue, the fact that you have to deal with Asus is scary..Make sure to keep this thread updated so we can see how they handle this..Their RMA dept has a scary track record..Let's see what they do with you.:(:(

I'm going to be called an asshole on this but why spend for a 295x2 when the computer your putting it in is worth less than 200 bucks? NF200? That's like me asking if I can put an electric turbo charger on Model A.

Are you using this for gaming? I can't imagine it being that great due to processor limitation and the fact that the NF200 chipset is something people are not even considering when building new graphics cards.
I think you're confused dude. He's talking about the bridge chip that some motherboards used to add on so that you could run multiple GPUs at 16x. Not the old school Socket A NVIDIA chipset..

You are correct Rizen! I only had luck finding one other thread on this subject so figured I would start my own on here.

Hmm in looking at this I think there may be issues with the way AMD 290x does crossfire (XDMA) and the NF200 chip. Can you disable the NF200 functionality in the bios perhaps or maybe set it to pcie 2.0 vs 3.0?

Not sure, I'll take a look at the bios here shortly. About to head out of work and do some testing this afternoon.

I never had an NF200 motherboard but I did have issues with my X58 board and 290X CrossFire, the way the AMI BIOS on my motherboard was built did not properly address all 8GB of VRAM between the two cards and caused a huge issue unless I uninstalled some of my system memory. Was nothing that could be done, MSI tried to patch the BIOS for me but AMI was no longer supporting X58 so there was no real fix. I upgraded to Z87 and everything works fine.

I would try a bios update first off, if there is one out there for your board. I've seen a few issues before with the newer cards in older boards. Usually a bios update fixes them.

Kind of surprised to see people saying you need a new board/cpu. A 2600k @4.8Ghz is a pretty solid cpu.

I did update the bios to the latest (2105) however on this board you can't revert back to older bioses so I have no idea if one of the releases between what I was running and the latest may have contained a solution.

My update for the evening thus far has been after clearing the cmos, resetting the cpu and memory overclocks and cleaning all the AMD drivers with DDU I've successfully got the 295x2 running in the first PCIE 16x slot (though that's without any other PCIE card plugged into computer). Still only able to get the 14.9 drivers to work correctly after first reboot of installing the drivers, both the 14.11.2 beta and 14.12 present code 43 after the first restart. Going to try a few more things before I ultimately end up swapping out the P8P67 for the Z77 I just bought off a forum member.

@rhansen5_99 - I had reset all bios options back to default but there was no options for your suggestion

@Rizen - I agree with you about the x58 issue, as that was one of the boards I tried this in orginally however due to the length of the board and not wanting to pull all my cards and hard drives out of that case I attempted to test it using a PCIE 16x-16x riser cable but didn't get anywhere with it. I gave up on that since that computer runs fine with a single 290x and eventually it'll become my storage server primarily and on occasion my wife's gaming computer (I'll be playing gpu musical chairs before that happens).

I have experienced the exact same issue with the same motherboard. I had a P67 Revolution and a second 1155 computer with a P67 Sabertooth. At the time I was mining and had purchased multiple 290s. I had 5 on the sabertooth and 3 on the revolution. I didn't have any glaring issues from day one with my revolution but it would start dropping hash rates on just one card randomly on the revolution board and I initially thought that the cards were dying. I got fed up with messing with it along with the mining and decided to sell off everything but 1 card. So I dismantled my main rig (revolution) and used the sabertooth to test all of the cards that I thought had died to be able to describe the issues they possessed in my listing. Lo and behold every card I though was dead worked perfectly on the sabertooth board. Same chipset, same cpu (2500k) nearly same psu. After a lot of digging I came across the NF200 chip issue and just chocked it up as that. I sold the revolution board and kept 2 290s with the sabertooth and have not had any issues since. It has ran like a dream (Sans crossfire drivers...).

I would do what the others are suggesting and get a different motherboard. You could probably pick up a different P67 for cheap as I don't have any issues running games at 1440p on max settings (40-60s fps). That would save you from having to purchase another cpu.

**I will also note that two 5830s worked just fine on my revolution board as well. Blew my mind...

Back