System specs:
2 x 290x saphhire radeons, 13.11 v9.5 beta drivers
i7 920 @ 4ghz
3 x 8gb 1600mhz ddr3
Asus P6T Deluxe x58
Soundblaster X-Fi
corsair hx1000 PSU
2560x1600 resolution

So far, every single game is a stutter fest if I enable vsync, and if I don't enable vsync there is major microstuttering. Furthermore, the sound is crackling and in "slow mo". Doesn't seem to matter if I'm running crossfire or one card, the stutter fest still occurs.

I am finding with vsync on, framerates are GARBAGE like 15-30fps (oddly enough, league of legends is reporting 60fps on the nose). If I turn vsync off, the framerates are normal (even crazy high like 300+ in some games) but it is definitely not smooth, it feels like microstuttering, big time.

Specific games:

League of Legends, everything maxed, vsync on = super slow fps even though the game reports 60fps, sound crackling. With vsync off, it's microstuttering whether crossfire is on or off.

Hitman Absolution, everything maxed except 2x FSAA, vsync on = super slow fps, sound crackling, and there is major mouse lag.

Far Cry 3, everything maxed except 2x FSAA, vsync on = super slow, sound crackling, major mouse lag. With vsync off, it's microstuttering in crossfire.

Borderlands 2, everything maxed, vsync on = getting a lot of stuttering, like a game thats alternating between 30 and 60fps. Definitely not smooth, getting the sound crackling. With vsync off, its not microstuttering but there's coil whine galore...

I've tried turning off frame pacing, enabling +50% power limit, and max fan speed of 100% and it makes no difference. Tried a different sound card (soundblaster x-fi) / onboard sound, no difference. Tried enabling/disabling crossfire and typically makes no difference.

Anyone else experiencing this? Anyone know how to fix it by chance?

Last edited:
did you start with a fresh wipe of the OS? or try ATIMAN Uninstaller program.

Well, if I was you I would take one card out and play some games and see what happens, then replace it with the other card and test again.

And don't just do 5 minutes with each card. It sounds like one of the cards is faulty or maybe one of the slots on your motherboard might be faulty, or it might just be something as simple as a card not sitting right in the slot.

Only time I ever gamed with vsync on is when there was screen tearing. Older games have this issue but I haven't seen it with anything since 2011.

You should have no lag at all. I'm stutter free on 280s and this is both for bf4 and cod ghosts.

I would do a clean driver wipe . Place one card in , boot to windows, Install drivers . Reboot and test the card in games. Shut it down, install the next card. Since these don't need a bridge , you should get a popup from CCC asking if you want to enable cfx. Once enabled, reboot and then start gaming. I personally think it's an issue with the driver because if my gaming is smooth on these 280s without frame pacing, your 290s shouldn't be having any issues.

I am having similar issues with my X58 based system:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1796442

Try pulling one card out and see if the problems continue. With both cards installed (crossfire or no) my games barely run. Pull one card out, works fine. Might be a larger problem here...

Sell the second card and invest in a new mobo and CPU.... Problem solved
That's not really a solution, the cards should work on a PCI-E 2.0 motherboard just fine. There's no documentation anywhere that this isn't supported.

UNBELIEVABLE! I had a friend install two brand new asus 290x's on his gigabyte x79 UD3 mobo with updated bios drivers, 3820 @ 4.1ghz, 16gb ram, and guess what. STUTTERFEST 2013 continues...

Vsync on Hitman Absolution = stutters around 20fps exactly the same as me
Vsync on Far Cry 3 = stutters around 20fps exactly the same as me

Exact same problem, two ENTIRELY different systems. AMD needs to step up to the fucking plate and fix this joke.. $1400 of video cards for unplayable performance. Simply unbelievable.

By the way, my friend also had the exact same "audio crackling" that I have as well. He has onboard sound, but I was using x-fi dedicated sound card. Same thing...

UNBELIEVABLE! I had a friend install two brand new asus 290x's on his gigabyte x79 UD3 mobo with updated bios drivers, 3820 @ 4.1ghz, 16gb ram, and guess what. STUTTERFEST 2013 continues...

Vsync on Hitman Absolution = stutters around 20fps exactly the same as me
Vsync on Far Cry 3 = stutters around 20fps exactly the same as me

Exact same problem, two ENTIRELY different systems. AMD needs to step up to the fucking plate and fix this joke.. $1400 of video cards for unplayable performance. Simply unbelievable.

This right here.^

It's currently 2am, and we're sitting here on the phone. This is my system listed above, rock solid, not even a weeks worth of use on this formatted install of Win7 64bit.

i7 3820 @ 4.1GHz
Gigabyte X79 UD3
16GB Corsair Vengeance.

I took out my current GPU's and installed 2 of the Asus 3 R290x's I have sitting on my workbench. Swept all the old drivers away in safe mode, and installed the 13.11 BETA 95 drivers. Tested Hitman Absolution and Far Cry 3 as per Smallies request with the settings he had on his system. Completely unplayable. I can't even explain how bad the stuttering is. I'm more than happy to give any info needed to back this up as well, pictures, whichever.

Just to clarify, the settings used were medium graphics in both instances of the games with vsync on. MSAA was set to a maximum of 2x.

turn vsync off imo, i think amd fixed stuff with the newer cards to not use it

turn vsync off imo, i think amd fixed stuff with the newer cards to not use it

not yet, frame pacing for xfire and 1440p will be out next month.

try turning off vsync in-game and CCC, and try radeon pro or dxtory.

I use a Maximus VI Formula, 4770K at 4.3GHz, 16 GB of 1866 Ram and two MSI 290X overclocked and overvolted.......I use the 9.4 Beta driver with no FramePacing, No VSync.EyeFinity on three 24" Dells.

I've seen no stuttering what-so-ever.

I don't get the audio......if you don't download the AMD audio drivers, and use a third party audio system......video should have nothing to do with it.
Sounds to me like the old X58 just can't carry the mail anymore.:eek:

Also, I read an article on Guru3D, he said that anything more than adjusting fan speed in the CCC was a major FUBAR. I use Afterburner to adjust anything on my cards. I leave CCC at default, enable Overdrive so I can shove the fan to 100%, and do everything else in Afterburner.

Last edited:
I use a Maximus VI Formula, 4770K at 4.3GHz, 16 GB of 1866 Ram and two MSI 290X overclocked and overvolted.......I use the 9.4 Beta driver with no FramePacing, No VSync.EyeFinity on three 24" Dells.

I don't get the audio......if you don't download the AMD audio drivers, and use a third party audio system......video should have nothing to do with it.

X79 with 4.1ghz does it too though. That's pretty much cutting edge... So it's not just x58.

Also, I read an article on Guru3D, he said that anything more than adjusting fan speed in the CCC was a major FUBAR. I use Afterburner to adjust anything on my cards. I leave CCC at default, enable Overdrive so I can shove the fan to 100%, and do everything else in Afterburner.

except one of the people reporting this problem is using an x79 system. try it without the sound card. 2 people reporting this problem are running a dedicated sound card.

whoever had the x79 system, do you have a dedicated sound card?

Last edited:
not yet, frame pacing for xfire and 1440p will be out next month.

try turning off vsync in-game and CCC, and try radeon pro or dxtory.

Using CCC to force vsync actually does nothing, vsync is still off.

Using radeon pro and forcing vsync, it still stutters exactly the same. Literally no difference.

except one of the people reporting this problem is using an x79 system. try it without the sound card. 2 people reporting this problem are running a dedicated sound card.

I tried onboard, it still does it. I tried a sound-blaster x-fi, still does it. The x79 system had onboard sound.

Using CCC to force vsync actually does nothing, vsync is still off.

Using radeon pro and forcing vsync, it still stutters exactly the same. Literally no difference.

are you using the 32 or 64bit .exe for bf4?

is RP is the appropriate mode for the bitness?

have you selected the correct launcher for RP so it hooks correctly?

make sure the osd is enabled in settings, then hit the pg-dwn key to make sure the panel comes up and check that vsync is enabled.

My thought is it's driver related.
As I said, I use the 9.4 beta and have no issues.
I loaded the 9.5, but it was missing Overdrive (a known problem) so I got rid of it and went back to 9.4
I use a dedicated sound card on my computer, no audio drivers from AMD.
I have no sound issues.

Also, in the CCC are ALL settings at default or game driven?
Try the game also at default, no added extras.

I do not have a dedicated sound card, no. I use my on board sound.

Can I suggest that you turn all the graphic settings up to the max and try again?

Maybe it's a CPU bottleneck? By lowering the graphic details you are dropping more and more into bottleneck territory.

Another suggestion, if you have a multimonitor setup, disconnect all of them and just use one to see what happens. Don't just turn them off, completely disconnect them.

Can I suggest that you turn all the graphic settings up to the max and try again?

Maybe it's a CPU bottleneck? By lowering the graphic details you are dropping more and more into bottleneck territory.

Another suggestion, if you have a multimonitor setup, disconnect all of them and just use one to see what happens. Don't just turn them off, completely disconnect them.

I've already put my other cards back in my system and boxed up the 290x's. I'm not using them in my main rig but he is, he'll have to try that.

Also, both of us are running a single Dell U3011

I've already put my other cards back in my system and boxed up the 290x's. I'm not using them in my main rig but he is, he'll have to try that.

Also, both of us are running a single Dell U3011

What are your other GPU cards?
I'm going to enable VSync when I get home tonight and see if I can duplicate your problem.
I don't generally use it, a little screen tearing never bothered me.

I did remember though, when I first installed my 290Xs, I was playing Metro LastLight and I mistakenly enabled advanced PhysX.....the game crawled and it took me a whole day of fussing around to find all I had to do was disable that one setting and everything was fine.

Last edited:
yeah, that looks bad.

have you tried a clena boot with everything disabled? including ccc?

I haven't tried a clean boot, but you can see that it's not just the drivers. Watch the video I posted on Windows booting. Booting from an SSD into Windows 8.1 takes more than a minute with both cards installed. Less than 10 seconds with just one. Something is obviously not right, and I don't think it's a simple software issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re30bRmltlk

I haven't tried a clean boot, but you can see that it's not just the drivers. Watch the video I posted on Windows booting. Booting from an SSD into Windows 8.1 takes more than a minute with both cards installed. Less than 10 seconds with just one. Something is obviously not right, and I don't think it's a simple software issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re30bRmltlk

Does your X58 have a PLX chip?

Man, I hope this doesn't become some contagious CrossFire issue......so far I really like my 290Xs, but if we are going in a bad direction with CrossFire for the umpteenth time I'm just quitting on AMD.

it could be a device/program trying to load that doesnt like xfire, which is why i suggested a clean boot.

also, boot with all your usb devices unplugg including mouse and keyboard. Usb devices are notorious for causing slow boots.

Last edited:
just FYI, I'm on a "clean" boot of windows 8 with basically nothing besides a keyboard, mouse and speakers and a monitor, still occurs.

Pretty doubtful thats it

What are your other GPU cards?
I'm going to enable VSync when I get home tonight and see if I can duplicate your problem.
I don't generally use it, a little screen tearing never bothered me.

I did remember though, when I first installed my 290Xs, I was playing Metro LastLight and I mistakenly enabled advanced PhysX.....the game crawled and it took me a whole day of fussing around to find all I had to do was disable that one setting and everything was fine.

My main gpus are sli 780 gtx's. This has nothing to do with trying these cards though. I did a full driver sweep and a proper driver install. This format of windows 7 64bit is just over a week old, and I made sure there was no trace of anything nvidia left on my system when we tested my 290s.

Back