2900XT 2Gig GDDR4

Pepsiennis

[H]ard|Gawd
OK, in the never say die spirit, Diamond is putting out a workstation-class derivative of the 2900XT with, hold onto your hats, 2 Gigs of GDDR4! It'll certainly put the 'Is more VRAM helpful' question to rest for a year or two, and the card looks smoking. Initial MSRP is your first two children, your wife on Saturday nights, and half your pension. Any Nvidiots trembling yet? Lord... have... MERCY! :rolleyes: :D

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/01/diamond-planning-hd-2900-xt-based-2gb-vfx-2000-pro-gpu/

That's pretty sick. I'm not even going to lie, I think that's one of the best looking Video Cards I've seen.

I was excited about the prospects until I read the initial poster's "nvidiots" comments. Will the fanboys ever die out? Either way I hope ATi can get some more top of the line cards out there, my DQ6 is crying for crossfire. Someone needs to buy this and run some of those ridiculous Oblivion texture mods.

Whiskey, tango, foxtrot.

But if it has a Porsche on the box art it's gotta be good, right?

I was excited about the prospects until I read the initial poster's "nvidiots" comments. Will the fanboys ever die out? ...

Oh, I agree with your position, Dethred. But I had to do something to draw in the commentators. For two hours this thread stood without a response until I edited-in that comment. That in itself says something about 'fanboys'. Regardless, I'm hoping someone will buy one, ride it around some games, and let us see how it does. I doubt it would make much of a difference, but who knows. It is indeed a sweet looking card, though! ;)

Wow. That really is a beautiful card. It has a nice clean cut to it. I just hope it performs just as good as it looks. :p

i would think the extra ram could help a little on aa and af, but maybe not enough...

it will be fun to watch it get owned by a 8800gts 320mb

Except in many games at higher res such as 1600x1200 and up, the 2900 owns the GTS, even the 640 model - in large part due to the ATI's 512 mem bus. Proving that yes Vitginia, there IS life beyond 1280x1024.

Talk about fanboyism. :rolleyes:

Except in many games at higher res such as 1600x1200 and up, the 2900 owns the GTS, even the 640 model - in large part due to the ATI's 512 mem bus. Proving that yes Vitginia, there IS life beyond 1280x1024.

Talk about fanboyism. :rolleyes:

Then the GTX/Ultra comes along and smacks it back down.:rolleyes:

So if you have 2gb+ system memory you HAVE to have a 64bit operating system?

This sucker will eat up 2gb of adress space, so for 2gb or more or prob even 1.5gb or more you will need 64-bit xp or vista

That is the coolest looking video card I have ever seen. I wish they would make a special edition 2900XT with that heatsink shroud.

check my posts before you call me a nv fanboy, i WAS actually a ati fanboy for years, now i just crap on ati because they deserve it,

That is the coolest looking video card I have ever seen. I wish they would make a special edition 2900XT with that heatsink shroud.

I've heard Asus is going to make a water cooled version. Get the volts up to 1.8 to o/c past 858/900, keep it cool and the 2900 is a pretty formidable card.

This is a workstation card. Only an idiot will buy it for his gaming machine. We are now questioning how useful it will be for professionals.

Well I can imagine that if you have large graphics files, the more VRAM the better, and with a fast GPU and wide 512 bus to support it I don't see why the 2900/2GB would be a bad choice.

It's been awhile since you've priced FireGL or Quadro Professional cards hasn't it?

Compared to the 8800Ultra, this card will be much more expensive and much more powerful in professional applications. Most probably the card has a lower clock speed than a normal 2900XT. Not the 8800Ultra is not powerful but both nVidia and ATi have crippled the performance of their GeForce and Radeon line in professional applications which are mostly based on OpenGL. My 6800Ultra can be twice as fast as my 7950GT in professional applications if the 6800Ultra is using a modded Quadro FX driver. I've started a thread about this quite long ago, note that my sig has changed since that post. GeForce 6000 series are the last GeForce series that can use a modded Quadro FX driver but ATi's X1950 series could still use a modded FireGL driver but I don't think that I've heard a HD2900XT uses a modded FireGL driver yet.

I doubt any gamer would seriously think that card would make sense as a "upgrade" :D

Ain't that the truth! Just think of (and drool over) all the other kit you could net, just for what one of these is going to cost. :D

Well I can imagine that if you have large graphics files, the more VRAM the better, and with a fast GPU and wide 512 bus to support it I don't see why the 2900/2GB would be a bad choice.

Hey, you removed your AQ3 score after all...
And no: considering the performance differences between 320/640MB 8800GTS and 512/1024MB 2900XT, I don't think there will be any improvement.

And btw, Nvidia also has a workstation version of the 8800GTX with double the VRAM (1536MB vs 768MB). It is called the Quadro FX 5600.

And btw, Nvidia also has a workstation version of the 8800GTX with double the VRAM (1536MB vs 768MB). It is called the Quadro FX 5600.

And word is it costs more than the subject of this thread is going to cost.

Hey, you removed your AQ3 score after all...

You're young. You'll get over it.

But since you mentioned it, the last time I ran AQ3 I got 184,723 and 3DM06 was 12,418, but that wasn't maxxed out speeds. What's yours?

And no: considering the performance differences between 320/640MB 8800GTS and 512/1024MB 2900XT, I don't think there will be any improvement.

Any improvement in what? You're not talking about the card in question here, the 2900/2GB. I thought we were trying to keep this about pro graphics apps, not gaming.

Please turn off the fanboyism, eh?

You're young. You'll get over it...

A touch! A most palpable touch!

Now having said that, let's just put away the claws, kittens, and be civil. Or shall I email Fugu and ask him to lock the thread I started?

But since you mentioned it, the last time I ran AQ3 I got 184,723 and 3DM06 was 12,418, but that wasn't maxxed out speeds. What's yours?
I believe it is mostly attributed to your extreme CPU overclock, yet I agree that the 2900 is starting to shine.

Any improvement in what? You're not talking about the card in question here, the 2900/2GB. I thought we were trying to keep this about pro graphics apps, not gaming.
My bad. I thought you were talking about gaming.

And please stop flaming others, because they might take it personally.

Civil is as civil does. And FUBAR on Fugu! :D

Brother, listen to yourself. You're getting to be the 'Sr7' of the ATI Owners Club. Both of ya'll ought to learn some manners. And lay off Fugu, the guy has a day job just like all of us and probably doesn't have every spare moment to babysit a bunch of guys who should know better anyway. And if he does have a spare moment, the ♥♥♥♥♥'s probably off chasing some poontang like all of ya'll ought to be doing! :cool:

Back