280x Crossfire to GTX 980?

I was hoping my CrossFire 280x would hold out until the 3xx series launch, but it just wasn't meant to be. I had picked up both used and always felt that I would drive them into the ground.
A few weeks ago, one of the two started giving significant artifacts, crashing, detecting as a generic VGA, and other general flaky behavior. I used a heat gun on it once and seemed to fix the issues for a week, then they started creeping back in. Tried tossing it in the oven (i've had good luck in the past with this method) and got the same outcome as the heat gun.
Luckily I work right down the street from a Microcenter. While perusing at lunch today I picked up the Asus GTX 980 Strix for $550 (Amazon price match).
Now I'm starting to second guess myself. I love my 280x setup but replacing the bad one at retail isn't very appealing as AMD cards aren't holding value for any length of time. If I were to replace it with another used card, who knows how long it will last.
I felt, while at Microcenter, that when the 3xx series launch I could possibly sell the 980 for near retail (if it's worth swapping) and dive into AMD's latest offering.

Running on one 280x until the 3xx launch isn't really a viable option.
I was hoping to see what you guys think. Should I return the 980 and grab a new or used 280x? Ditch it all and go for two new/used 290x?

I'm gaming at 5760x1080 and have a 1000W PSU. Lately been playing alot of TitanFall, BF4, and Homeworld Remastered

Will the 980x drive your setup enough? I would say if it can then call it a day. Looks like June for the 390x to hit the shelf :(

Crossfire 280x and a 980 won't be too far off. This is where crossfire works properly of course. If it works satisfactory in the games you play it might make sense to just get a used 280x.

The only other card that may interest you is the Titan X. Supposively launches March 17th. I did hear it makes your **** bigger and your ego a bit larger.

Last edited:
Increases in e-peen size from video cards tends to be inversely proportional to the thickness of your wallet though.
After getting it in my machine, I was able to run some benchmarks and get in some gameplay.
The synthetic benchmarks are just slightly behind the Crossfire configuration, but the quality of frame times and overall smoothness of gameplay is wonderful!

Increases in e-peen size from video cards tends to be inversely proportional to the thickness of your wallet though.
After getting it in my machine, I was able to run some benchmarks and get in some gameplay.
The synthetic benchmarks are just slightly behind the Crossfire configuration, but the quality of frame times and overall smoothness of gameplay is wonderful!

I think you have your answer then...

thats the drawback in my personal experience as well when it comes to crossfire. the slight "choppiness" thats just noticeable to be annoying. single card solutions, as you found out, seem to be a better choice overall imo

Rather than starting a new thread about the same subject I'll ask my question here. I'm considering getting a 280x to crossfire with a 7970. Cpu is a 4690k and mb is a Maximus VI Hero. I game on one Qnix QX2710 1440p monitor. I've never even seen in person a crossfire or sli setup so I've only read about microstutter and what not. I play a lot of older titles, but some newer ones. The newest game I probably own is Watch Dogs which I just bought today. With the Omega drivers is microstutter still a thing? How noticeable is it? Thank you in advance for any feedback!

Rather than starting a new thread about the same subject I'll ask my question here. I'm considering getting a 280x to crossfire with a 7970. Cpu is a 4690k and mb is a Maximus VI Hero. I game on one Qnix QX2710 1440p monitor. I've never even seen in person a crossfire or sli setup so I've only read about microstutter and what not. I play a lot of older titles, but some newer ones. The newest game I probably own is Watch Dogs which I just bought today. With the Omega drivers is microstutter still a thing? How noticeable is it? Thank you in advance for any feedback!

Micro-stutter sensitivity is a per individual issue. Some notice a lot some don't. Also if you maintain the 60hz and don't overclock your monitor (saw that monitor is claimed to overclock to 120hz) Micro-stutter is more noticeable than at higher hz/fps. Using Radeonpro with your cards for 280x/7970 can help a lot to alleviate and reduce chances of microstutter. DX11 games have microstutter reduced with AMD drivers for over a year, so the Omega driver didn't add a lot to that.

Micro-stutter sensitivity is a per individual issue. Some notice a lot some don't. Also if you maintain the 60hz and don't overclock your monitor (saw that monitor is claimed to overclock to 120hz) Micro-stutter is more noticeable than at higher hz/fps. Using Radeonpro with your cards for 280x/7970 can help a lot to alleviate and reduce chances of microstutter. DX11 games have microstutter reduced with AMD drivers for over a year, so the Omega driver didn't add a lot to that.
Thank you for the reply. My monitor will overclock to 114hz without issue and the difference is definitely noticeable! I've been watching some videos on youtube from reviewers that state the microstutter isn't really an issue and as you said it's a per person basis. The improvement seems massive. I'm currently running a GTX 770 2gb so I think it would be a great improvement.

If you use a program like radeon pro or msi afterburner with a hard framerate cap you can eliminate microstutter as long as you stay above the cap. It was the only way that I found 7950 crossfire to be acceptable.

Very much this, I never understood why.

A good example that I used to use was the 54hz bug in oblivion, FO3, and fonv. I have no clue how what seems like most people don't notice it but it drove me crazy. Noticed it the second that I played those games.

I've always found it hard to trust people's opinions on microstutter because of stuff like that. I haven't used crossfire since before the microstutter articles started so I have no clue on the process that they have made.

2 years ago I had quad 7970s in a tripple monitor setup and yes there was micro stutter with tripple crossfire. Not so much with 2 cards.quad cards never worked other then benches. Still I read about people mentioning it with crossfire alot on thsee forums.

I know u don't see it with 980 sli.. though i have not tried older titles yet.

Maxwell 980 forever !!!

ASUS Strix 980 or GALAX 980HOF both do Out of The BOX 1500/8000 mem Stock Air wich of course you can game perfect.

IQ is Outstanding grab any GPU and then compare to it you'll see ;)

Kind Regards
Sergio

Back