280.26 Official WHQL released

I'm starting to get GPU driver crash/recovery messages on one of my machines with a GTX 460 card after putting in these drivers, gonna have to jump back to the previous one now. Usually don't have issues like this.
I have a GTX 460 as well. It's crashing just while browsing the web with Firefox. I rolled back to 275 until they get this figured out.

I also see others are reporting issues on other boards.

so far no problems here - I been playing a ton of Starcraft 2, Rift and Bad Company 2.

My experience with the 280 drivers hasnt been good. I keep getting screens that go blank, then a pop up stating that the driver has recovered from a fault. Very annoying. Happens about twice a day. I may have to go back to the 275.33.

same

Do the custom install and Clean install option guys...that cleared up my wrong textures in Oblivion...lol :eek:

So I had the 275.33 drivers when I built this system (in sig.), and updated to the 280.26 WHQL about 2 or 3 days ago. No issues, then when I turned off my monitor today to go out (had a big download running in the background) something must have happened. I came back, turned the monitor on, and noticed that upon watching a youtube video, I would get a black screen, followed by the pop up message on the tray telling me the driver stopped responding and that it has recovered.

I say alright...so I boot up Bad Company 2, which was running absolutely FLAWLESSLY last night, and I see flickering on the main menu. Thinking it's nothing for about a half a second, the game screen turns white, showing only the cursor, and the game pretty much crashes.

I read that there are some voltage things they messed with with the new 280 drivers, could this be affecting it? I notice my cards jump up from 0.95v to 1.0+ REALLY quick, can't remember how high of a jump off the top of my head, but I did not notice this recently either. Maybe I'm just over thinking it. I'm honestly not sure what's going on, but as of now, my system is hugely unstable. The reason for updating to the 280.26 was the black texture flickering issue I had on 275.33, this driver fixes it, but now it's supremely unstable.

Thoughts?

I'm also getting lots of "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." errors with 280.26 WHQL although not as many as with 275.50 beta. The funny thing is it happens in various scenarios:

1) PC is literally idle, I sit down and move the mouse to do something and it happens (so graphics card is probably clocked down to 51MHz.

2) Desktop usage, could be playing YouTube videos in HD, window or fullscreen or just browsing websites in Firefox 6.0.1

3) Gaming, various games, BC2 and TF2 (rarely), NFS Shift 2 (more often than BC2/TF2), Deus Ex HR (rarely).

Doesn't seem to happen more often in gaming than desktop use. Overclocking the card seems to cause it to happen more frequently. Sometimes it will happen 3 or 4 times in a row, others not for a day or two. Really annoying as it is random and reset my clocks when it happens.

Edit: went into Event Viewer and copied out all the driver recovery errors to an Excel table and sorted by date.

August 9 - September 1: 35 errors in 24 days: 1.45/day (280.26)
June 25 - August 8: 124 errors in 45 days: 2.76/day (275.50 beta) note 47 of these happened on 6/25 after upgrading drivers
I was out of the country and not using my PC May 31 - June 24, and before that on May 21 - 2 errors (270.61)

Prior to May 21, there are none of these errors in Event Viewer, I only upgraded to this 560GTX on May 12, and don't remember having any errors with my old 280. So while 280.26 is better than 275.50 for me, it is still having around 1 error/recovery per day. I have also been running at my card's stock clocks (880/1760/2100) most of the time in recent weeks.

Last edited:
I also get the Driver has stopped responding error. I also get horrible performance in BC2. Lots of micro stuttering. I went back to the 266.66 drivers and haven't had one issue and BC2 plays smooth as silk...

Went back to 270.61, too much microstuttering and generally poor performance in BF2 running the 280.26's....

My frame rates pretty much doubled as soon as I rolled back to the 270.61's.

I installed Deus Ex Human Revolution then installed the latest drivers (280.26) before I played the game. I noticed really bad stuttering
with the audio and video mostly during cutscenes. Then the game started crashing. Then I could not get past the opening logos without
the game crashing.

Then I gave up on Deus Ex 3 and started playing some Fallout New Vegas. The stuttering occurred to a lesser degree in Fallout but this
made me realize that the new drivers were at fault.

I did a clean install of the 270.61 drivers that I was using before 280.26 and I was able to play Deus Ex 3 without stuttering for a few hours.
Then the game crashed when I tried to load a save after getting killed.

My system specs are in my signature.

Cliffs:
The 280.26 drivers are terrible
Deus Ex 3 is buggy
Do not use the 280.26 drivers to play Deus Ex 3.

I installed Deus Ex Human Revolution then installed the latest drivers (280.26) before I played the game. I noticed really bad stuttering
with the audio and video mostly during cutscenes. Then the game started crashing. Then I could not get past the opening logos without
the game crashing.

Then I gave up on Deus Ex 3 and started playing some Fallout New Vegas. The stuttering occurred to a lesser degree in Fallout but this
made me realize that the new drivers were at fault.

I did a clean install of the 270.61 drivers that I was using before 280.26 and I was able to play Deus Ex 3 without stuttering for a few hours.
Then the game crashed when I tried to load a save after getting killed.

My system specs are in my signature.

Cliffs:
The 280.26 drivers are terrible
Deus Ex 3 is buggy
Do not use the 280.26 drivers to play Deus Ex 3.

Do you have DX11 turn on? If you do, turn it off. DX11 runs like crap with DXHR.

Do you have DX11 turn on? If you do, turn it off. DX11 runs like crap with DXHR.

I'll remember that if I have any more problems while playing. It is unlikely that DX11 will cause the game to crash in a menu while loading a save.

I did a clean install on two Win7 SP1 machines (i7 bloomfield 64-bit w/570, p4 northwood 32-bit w/6800) and everything is great so far with the 280.26 whql drivers. Neither card is an "OC" model.

Last edited:
Back to back days with driver error on Win7 64bit, and today I got back from work only to find my monitor has been reduced to 1024x768 with no option to turn up. Restarted, and my monitor is no longer being recognized as a pnp monitor with max resoltuion of 1280x768. Tried uninstalling the drivers and and reinstall was no help. Rolled back to 275.33 and finally able to select 1920x1200 again. Did not have this probelm on XP

I had a fresh install with 280.26 and got random display driver crashes all over the place (even iTunes). Since switching to older drivers, I haven't had a single crash. Guess the 280's just aren't for me!

it's flash (or at least part of the problem)... pay attention to your system memory whenever you do any browsing with flash related content, nvidia has been trying to keep their death grip on standards by stapling their lips to macromedia's ass as well, but their offloading is just completely broken. shut off hardware accelleration in your flash prefs and see what happens, no more leaks and crashes.

haven't tried any dx11 games after just finally installing win7, but I'm really starting to regret sticking with nvidia. nview was half broken in xp, and I thought upgrading would fix that, now finding out they couldn't handle the new api and just decided to drop the project. kind of sucks to see major driver features just dissapear with no word from them, should have looked into this before.

does anyone here know if rivatuner still works at least partially in win7 with 200 series drivers? even if the dx/ogl functions don't, I just want it for cooling and system info. haven't tried afterburner yet (does it even work with non-msi cards?) but evga precision sucks balls compared to what I could do with rtuner. pretty much all they got going for them is easy cooling profiles and oc, but no plugin and module support at all. I used to be able to combine the hardware monitor with realtemp and perfmons to see everything, just feels so limited now.

it's flash (or at least part of the problem)... pay attention to your system memory whenever you do any browsing with flash related content, nvidia has been trying to keep their death grip on standards by stapling their lips to macromedia's ass as well, but their offloading is just completely broken. shut off hardware accelleration in your flash prefs and see what happens, no more leaks and crashes.

haven't tried any dx11 games after just finally installing win7, but I'm really starting to regret sticking with nvidia. nview was half broken in xp, and I thought upgrading would fix that, now finding out they couldn't handle the new api and just decided to drop the project. kind of sucks to see major driver features just dissapear with no word from them, should have looked into this before.

does anyone here know if rivatuner still works at least partially in win7 with 200 series drivers? even if the dx/ogl functions don't, I just want it for cooling and system info. haven't tried afterburner yet (does it even work with non-msi cards?) but evga precision sucks balls compared to what I could do with rtuner. pretty much all they got going for them is easy cooling profiles and oc, but no plugin and module support at all. I used to be able to combine the hardware monitor with realtemp and perfmons to see everything, just feels so limited now.

Just noticed your post. FYI, NVidia had to basically re-write nView entirely for Windows 7; when they did this, they also made it a Quadro only feature. I run a Quadro video card at work for this very reason; nView is a HUGE (i can't stress it enough) productivity booster.

While this news sucks for you, since you likely don't have a Quadro card - you may be happy to know that it is NOT barely functional in win7, and in fact works very well, with the ability to even set different desktops to different resolutions (easy to quickly test a browser at a lower resolution without ever having to go to display properties...just switch desktops, res changes, test, switch back, and your res re-sets to your normal res. Awesome.), and a WORKING nview task switcher that lets you alt-tilde to switch desktops, then tab to switch apps on that desktop...let go, bam, into that desktop and that app maximized. It also lets you have a taskbar on both monitors - and, best of all, if you move a window to the secondary monitor, it's taskbar button also moves to the second monitor's task bar; this way your taskbar stays un-cluttered and you always know when you click on a program in your taskbar, that you are clicking on the instance of that program that is visible on your secondary monitor.

BTW, i did some research and it looks like you may be able to manually extract the nview installer from the latest driver pack for Quadro cards, and install it anyway on your non quadro card:

http://thescienceattic.wordpress.com/2010/04/11/nvidia-nview-desktop-manager-on-windows-7/

Back