28-Core Intel W-3175X Listed at Retailers

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Over the weekend, WCCF spotted Intel's upcoming 28-core, multiplier unlocked workstation processor out in the wild. European retailers Lance-Nakup, Ediscomp, Kikatek and PC21 listed to the Intel W-3175X for between 3500 and 4000 Euros, which translates to $3800-$4600 USD. While that may sound pricey, Intel's 28-core Xeon Platinum 8180 goes for over $10k a pop. For reference, a 22 core Xeon Gold processor with a 2.1ghz base and 3.7ghz boost goes for a roughly comparable $3800, while AMD's 32-core Threadripper W2990WX retails for a mere $1800.

As we noted in October, the 3175X uses a different socket that the rest of Intel's HEDT lineup, which means it requires a special motherboard, like the upcoming ROG Domunus from Asus. It features a base speed of 3.1Ghz, a 4.3Ghz turbo speed, and a 255W TDP, and trades the multiprocessor compatibility of its Xeon relatives for an unlocked multiplier.

A different socket? NO FREAKING WAY! :rolleyes::rolleyes: Saw that coming before finishing the first paragraph.

As if this is the problem with this CPU (not its price). The socket was well known from day one, what was not know was its price but it looks like it is certainly not targeted at consumers. I really don't know why would anyone buy this but they can't match Threadripper pricing because "XEON GOLD"....

I would buy 2X Threadrippers if my workflow was heavily multithreaded with this money..

As if this is the problem with this CPU (not its price). The socket was well known from day one, what was not know was its price but it looks like it is certainly not targeted at consumers. I really don't know why would anyone buy this but they can't match Threadripper pricing because "XEON GOLD"....

I would buy 2X Threadrippers if my workflow was heavily multithreaded with this money..
Oh, believe me, when I saw the price I nearly snorted coffee out my nose. I guess picking on Intel [and rightfully so] for having [YET] another socket never gets old. :D

For that money you better go with an Epyc system and get the full 8 memory channels.

Remember it's no just the cost ofofthe CPU, the boards for that monstrosity will cost a kidney, an arm and a leg.

Edit: Oh, and not forget about the cooling, probably will require an industrial water chiller. Remember that the TDP is for base clocks. Turbo will draw more power.

Last edited:
...because if you'll buy it, they'll make a cooler for just about anything:

scythe6.jpg

I can't believe Intel is this stupid and think the consumer is even more stupid. Insulting, really.

For that money you better go with an Epyc system and get the full 8 memory channels.

Remember it's no just the cost ofofthe CPU, the boards for that monstrosity will cost a kidney, an arm and a leg.

Edit: Oh, and not forget about the cooling, probably will require an industrial water chiller. Remember that the TDP is for base clocks. Turbo will draw more power.

I guess they also paid Asus to produce the 10 motherboards this is gonna go with during its peak sales time...LOL

I can't believe Intel is this stupid and think the consumer is even more stupid. Insulting, really.

Don't know about insulting but it is a crazy setup for those who need one and can afford of course. Pricing wise it's in line with recent crop of Xeon's. I'm sure many of us here wouldn't mind rocking one. ;) This really is more of a workstation first, gaming second hardware.

What is that? Sexy..

It was a prototype cooler which Scythe showed off at Computex 2007. It didn't make it to market though because noone offered a 28 core cpu at the time.

It's likely where George Foreman got the idea for his grill ;)

For the sake of comparison:

scythe1.jpg

Scythe was really into ridiculously big stuff back in the day:

Last edited:
It was a prototype cooler which Scythe showed off at Computex 2007. It didn't make it to market though because noone offered a 28 core cpu at the time.

View attachment 128462

I used to have a somewhat smaller version of his bad in the day. Clearance and mounting was a nightmare but cooling performance was top notch. That was the time when I was looking for a high end air cooler to replace water which leaked due to a cracked chipset waterblock and hosed my mobo and video card (was a sad day even though I knew I was playing with fire but performance was almost worth it, lol).

View attachment 128462

Funny thing is the only scythe cooler I ever had was the low profile shurikan for an itx build. Solid build at least and nice fan for the price.

Back