28 - Core Intel Demo Questioned on Cooling

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
We mentioned the 28-core CPU shown off at Intel's Computex keynote this morning, and immediately our eagle eyed HardForum readers picked up on the cooling in the systems shown on stage. Certainly the cooling was not shown on stage however. If you look you will see two huge leads running to the CPU "water blocks." It looks as though Intel was likely using some sort of chiller system on the quick demo, or perhaps even a phase-change system of types. Who knows? Dunno. Legit Reviews picked up on this as well, and have a few pics on their site of another one of these systems shown off at Computex as well, but it remains under question if there was any type of load on it.

Would you call me crazy if I thought they were variants of 10nm Tremont glued together onto one massive die.

That's about 280 watts dissapation.

I just can't imagine 28 full scale processors on a single chip package

28 cores, available in Q4 if I heard the video correctly. Carrier, Rheem and others are gonna love this new cpu ...
Trust me, that is not going in white space.

This chip runs on LGA 3647 socket so it is huge but, there are 22 core xeons that one can run on LGA 2011 v3 X99 chipset mobos with 50 megs of L3 goodness.. Interesting that intel is bringing this chip to HEDT. It's also running 6 channel DDR4.
I guess AMD's threadripper lit a fire under their greedy asses :D

Phasechange is quite likely unless they got 10nm working in a month or two.

De-6pEnX4AITfUD.jpg

This just reminded me of when nvidia came out at paxwell launch, claiming 2.1ghz ref cooler 1080 at 60°f or similar lol. Yeah with a kW of AC maybe..
Still, at least they are trying to compete.

Its possible that reservoir and pump are functional. Most of the chillers I have in that size have really weak pumps internally.

I will bet someone at Intel will be looking for work later this week. This is not just embarrassing for them, but HUMILIATING! They would have been better off just announcing and showing non-functional demos than trying to show this! Even if they needed external refrigeration, couldn't they have bought something....nice? There are PLENTY of people making compressor based refrigeration chillers for watercooling rigs...if they had anyone on the team with any experience in building chill rigs, they COULD have shown something that, while not mainstream, would have given the impression that there was some actual engineering involved in the creation of their prototype rig.

AMD is going to capitalize on this horrible mistake, and in a BIG way!

I love how they put a water reservoir in there, just for show.

It's still watercooled, using standard pumps, reservoirs and tubing...but running through a refrigeration unit instead of radiators. The wrapping on the tubes is to prevent condensation from forming. Half-assed doesn't begin to cover the methods used here.

Setting aside the extreme cooling rig and the dubious ability of a home used to get anything close to that, at least this motherboard still looks like a purposefully engineered single socket board. The Asus Dominus board over at Techpowerup looks like a dual socket board that had the second socket ripped off of it.

You also know that if AMD didn't have a 32 core Threadripper waiting that Intel would have probably cut down to half or a mere third the number of PCIe lanes on anything less than the full 28 core chip.

Seeing those two pics next to each other is hilarious. I thought that white cube next to Intel motherboard was for the beer. You know for the build a bad ass PC party. Nope!

You could hold the 32core Threadripper cooler in one hand AND your beer in the other.

Well played AMD.

Let me know when they have something that can be air cooled, with a quite/low speed fan.

I lowered the speed on my current system to 4.8 Ghz. No difference in speed for 99% of what I run.

CPU/Case fans are now almost silent. Even under full load, I can barely hear the CPU fan.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but I now find peace and quiet more important than a few percent in a benchmark.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah....(takes breath).....Hahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaaaaha.. ahahah... hah... oh, this is just classic.

Where's the marketing espionage these days??? How did Intel not know AMD would show up with an air-cooled 32-core TR? No dedication anymore to the corporate black arts.

The fact that the board bridge chip requires a heatsink (passive though it may be) that huge inspires some rather pants-wetting terror on my part...

Well, at least I never have to turn the heat on in my place again...

Its not passive - that's the bottom. AnandTech had another pic with it flipped over and it had 3 decent sized fans on it.

Intel has to play catch up to AMD. This happened before. Then intel came out with the core2duo.

Right before Core 2 came out, there was a poster on here, an Intel insider of sorts, who boasted that Core 2 would destroy the Athlon 64 and that Intel would never fall behind again. Is there statute of limitations for hubris? I think AMD just proved there isn't.

Back